Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oceansize anyone?

• 30-03-2006 4:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Just wondering if there's any fans of this seemingly (and surprisingly) little-known band here on boards.ie? For those who've never heard of them, I realise that waxing lyrical about a band fusing genres together to create an idiosyncratic indefinable style is painfully clichéd so I'm not going to bother. Suffice it to say that these guys are a very complex, intelligent, challenging yet accessible prog-ish outfit from Manchester that have elements of NIN/Tool/Radiohead/Sigur Ros/Mogwai in their sound.

Their two LPs (Effloresce and Everyone Into Position) are just experiences; very cohesive and transporting bodies of work that both clock in at over an hour long but don't really overstay their welcome due to the variety/range of material on offer. If any of what I just said sounds remotely interesting, I'd advise you to check out their myspace page and have a listen to the live recording of "A Homage to a Shame" that's on offer there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlackSabbath

i will later.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Locust Reign

Heard them before, they're cool enough... Similar to Isis in parts too I found, well a lot more mellow than Isis...!
    Not a fan of the vocals though personally, altho I dont really see any other way that would suit the music other than being an instrumental band?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Charm Offensive

Yeah they definitely have a bit of Isis to them. I've always liked the vocals, different strokes I guess. The one criticism I'd have of the band is they're a bit too sparing with the epic crunching heaviness that they're very much capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlackSabbath

okay, i listened to them and they SUCK IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh, they aren't bad, saw them support biffy clyro awhile back.

catalyst is a great song live but it lacks something on record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Charm Offensive

I hated them when I first heard them, thought they were meandering boring self indulgent twaddle, then I listened to their albums a few more times and they became one of my favourite bands. They don't really have much instant appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭castagnoli

Oceansize are great, I just got into them recently. Theyre touring England tat the mo, no sign of a date in Ireland though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I quite like them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I've got effloresce and everyone into position, good stuff, wish they'd play here.

Advertisement