Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fifa's Nationality Through Family Rule

• 30-03-2006 7:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

Seeling as the Nolan Thread has sparked some intresting debate upon the Grandparent rule etc. heres a poll to help decide where we all stand

How Far Back Should Nationality Be Considered 25 votes

Your Birth Country Alone
    0%
    Your Parent(s) Country
    0%
    You Grand Parent(s) Country
    48%
    Pepe LeFritscournioniMrJoeSoapeirebhoyDavey DevilKingp35_blank_blu_sonicJuan PablomchurlRoyale with Cheese5starpool 12 votes
    Any Nation That Calls You Up
    52%
    astrofoolPHBJohnny_the_foxrobz150colsterShaque attackBig NellyRuggieBearPlayboyChardee MacDennisdceireandrewiecounty 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I like this poll blu, nice one.

I voted for the second option, but it may come back to haunt us.

Imagine in a few years time if we have a few great players, born of immigrant parents, how would we feel if they declared for their parent's country. (Has this point been made in the Nolan thread? Apologies, but I didn't read it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

I don't think it has regardless this is a new thread, thats something i never thought of. Although i think its more to do with the footballing infastructure then your nationality i'm sure there are crap brazilians, italians etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I wouldn't necesserally say that the parent has to be born in Ireland. As long as their parent is of Irish nationality that'll do for me. For example, I know a couple that were both born in England but they regard themselves as Irish and have Irish passports. I'm sure they'd like their son playing for Ireland. Having an Irish grandparent is pushing it but it does close out the players that genuinely would choose us. They're in a tiny minority though and there's plenty of American's with a great Irish grandparent that'd like to play for us, tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

imo if you`re intitled to an irish passport you can play for ireland,simple as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Im one of the most outspoken on the "Nolan" thread, my point of view is I don't mind if its your granny that was Irish if you where brought up to be Irish, simple as that. Nolan is English(oh yeah I don't hate the English or anything) and that the end of the story. He has been on Sky numerous times going on about it being a dream to pull on the England jersey. Now because he aint getting anywhere he wants to play for Ireland when he has turned down Ireland numerous times for England. Leave him in England and end of story

Oh yeah I hope he nevers gets an England cap either!! its just cause Im a bitter fan:D

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Im one of the most outspoken on the "Nolan" thread, my point of view is I don't mind if its your granny that was Irish if you where brought up to be Irish, simple as that.

so how many of the british born players that played for ireland were brought up irish?half of them didnt know they even had irish blood in them!

county wrote:
    so how many of the british born players that played for ireland were brought up irish?half of them didnt know they even had irish blood in them!

Not sure what your point is?

Big Nelly wrote:
    Not sure what your point is?

so nelly would i be right in thinking you would only like to see players playing for ireland if they were brought up irish

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Kilbane was brought up Irish. That is just one example. Not that I like seeing Kilbane in the Ireland starting eleven or anything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I voted for grandparents, just because of the practicalities of the vote, but to be honest, I think whatever nation you feel you belong to, you should be allowed play for.
    If you feel Dutch, you should be able to play for them.
    Obviously this is something which you will develop over time, so if you play in the u17's you shouldn't be forced to play for teh same country. That said, Nolan doens't feel Irish, from what I gather, but what do I know.
    I think you should be alllowed to declare for the country you feel you are from. Nationality is such a stupid concept anyway, so you might as well be allowed to choose it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I voted for grandparents, just because of the practicalities of the vote, but to be honest, I think whatever nation you feel you belong to, you should be allowed play for.
    Obviously this is something which you will develop over time, so if you play in the u17's you shouldn't be forced to play for teh same country. That said, Nolan doens't feel Irish, from what I gather, but what do I know.
    I think you should be alllowed to declare for the country you feel you are from. Nationality is such a stupid concept anyway, so you might as well be allowed to choose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

PHB wrote:
    I think you should be alllowed to declare for the country you feel you are from.
    I'm taking this as tongue in cheek.

But imagine.

Hoop-di-do....jesus, I feel Soloman Islandish today, it's only a short flight from where I am, I'll be playing international football in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

PHB wrote:
    I concur with everything in this post tbh.

Cascarino came out and said, a while back, that the basis of his being allowed play for the RoI was completely fraudulent. I don't care - he played for Ireland and was ok, and it didn't exactly cause international uproar when he admitted it.

Interestingly, there used to be a FIFA rule way-back-when, that you could choose to play for the country you were plying your trade in. e.g. Alfredo diStefano, one of the greatest players ever, played for Argentina several times, but once he joined (and became the fulcrum of) the great Real Madrid side of the 1950s he went on to play many times for Spain. In fact, he had also represented Colombia at international level as well.

Nobody really makes a big deal about this oddity either, when reminiscing about him as the great footballer he was.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

eirebhoy wrote:
    I wouldn't necesserally say that the parent has to be born in Ireland. As long as their parent is of Irish nationality that'll do for me. For example, I know a couple that were both born in England but they regard themselves as Irish and have Irish passports. I'm sure they'd like their son playing for Ireland. Having an Irish grandparent is pushing it but it does close out the players that genuinely would choose us. They're in a tiny minority though and there's plenty of American's with a great Irish grandparent that'd like to play for us, tough.

I totally agree with eriebhoy. I think having an Irish Grandparent only is pushing it a bit too far. As long as one of your parents are of Irish nationality then I think its ok.

county wrote:
    so nelly would i be right in thinking you would only like to see players playing for ireland if they were brought up irish

Well would you like to see someone say from Germany who can't speak a word of English and doesn't have a clue where Ireland is declare for the Ireland team and join up with the squad? everyone is getting hung up on UK but this could happen.......us Irish men do get around you know:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Big Nelly wrote:
    Well would you like to see someone say from Germany who can't speak a word of English and doesn't have a clue where Ireland is declare for the Ireland team and join up with the squad? everyone is getting hung up on UK but this could happen.......us Irish men do get around you know:D

hehe, eg. Franck Queudrue when he wanted to play for ireland last year, saying he was dying to and was always so proud of his irishness. Then he found he didn't qualify, and is now begging for a french call up asking why he's never been considered before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What the hell is "being brought up Irish" ? Do we make kids wear leprechaun suits, and dye their hair green or something? What about people that move to Ireland(say french) and have a kid here, are they "brought up Irish" ?

Fact is that there will never be a fully apt definition of what an Irish or French or English person is because there are too many variables. The sports authorities know this, so brought in an arbitrary rule that if family as far back as grandparents are a nationality, you are eligible for them.

For an Irish team, the best players should be playing on that team if they are eligible, and thats it, no ifs ands or buts, if Ireland is to be represented they should be represented by the best.

Advertisement