Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Basic v's Comfortline

Options
  • 30-03-2006 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

On a golf can anyone tell me the differences between the Basic and Comfortline models?

Thanks

Redman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

What on the mark 4s or the new mark 5s?
    the mk5 comfort has alloys, cruise,rain sensors, MUCH better seats with lumber and velour(bucket),nice carbon effect dash trim,12 volt socket in boot, footwell lighting, overhead dash lighting with soft leds, a trip computer and automatic lights that turn on and off themselves and a much bigger boot as it has a small emergency tire only.
    on the mark 4 u get 8 speakers instead of 4, velour comfort seats which i actually find less comfortable than the non comfort for some reason, 4 elec windows as opposed to none, heated electric mirrors, comfort mats,12 volt in boot, central armrest front and rear as opposed to none.
    the comfort on the mk4 is 1000-2000 more than the basic model mostly due to the electrics.
    the mother just got a comfort 1.6fsi, and i reakon its worth the extra for the seats alone. shame it only has front speakers:mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Good info Lomb, think you've just about covered everything, but there is also four electric windows on the comfortline mk5 as appossed to two on the basic.

/ME kicks my mk5 basic version and cries for the lack of cruise control :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

delly wrote:
    Good info Lomb, think you've just about covered everything, but there is also four electric windows on the comfortline mk5 as appossed to two on the basic.

/ME kicks my mk5 basic version and cries for the lack of cruise control :(

U got me there:D ,yep cruise is handy very handy. the rain wipers are great also. also the auto dipping mirror is straight out of a lexus. u can really feel the technology in mums car, everything is automatic nearly, and the auto gearbox shifts absolutely seemlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

http://www.volkswagen.ie/configurator/index.cfm?fuseaction=vw.Variant&modelID=281&bodyID=4236

Have a look here and pick your model of choice. Spec should follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Thanks once again guys for the valued info.:)

It is for a MkIV, I am looking to buy a second hand one at the moment.

So cheers for that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oli_ro

Just bought a golf4 comfortline -
    Very happy overall, the electrics are welcomed addition, but Lomb is right - the seats are velour and they are supposed better than basis, but I don't find them very confortable.

oli_ro wrote:
    Just bought a golf4 comfortline -
    Very happy overall, the electrics are welcomed addition, but Lomb is right - the seats are velour and they are supposed better than basis, but I don't find them very confortable.
    Well thanks for that comment, need to have herself try out both types of seat so!

Actually, perhaps one of you could give me some advice on engine size.

For the MkIV is there two types of 1.4 engine?
    Is there much difference with the 1.6 engine in performace terms i.e. will it be a more relaxing drive on the motorway.
    I recently drove a new 1.4 and found it a little strained in top gear on the M50 at 120km/h, but it was brand new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Hey redman

In answering your question, I recently got a volkswagen Bora 1999 Comfortline which I may have to sell in and around the end of June because I'll be moving out of Ireland for a while. Ill give you the specs:

Model: VW Bora Comfortline 4dr
    Engine: 1.6SR 105bhp petrol (1595cc)
    Transmission: 5 speed manual
    Color: Black
    Owners: 2 ( me and previous owner ).

The car had a full service in January, which included changing the spark plugs, air filter and oil. The brake pads will be serviced today. The fuel injection system was also cleaned out 2 months ago. It has had a new battery also.

The car is unmodified and runs perfectly. It is ideal for long journeys. Although it may cost a little more to tax a 1.6l engine than a 1.4l, the petrol costs are almost the same. The Boras and Golfs with a 1.6l engine are much more responsive anyway and make for a much better drive, especially on motorways. A 1.4 engine in a car this size would be more strained, as you have seen. If you have any more questions let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

redman wrote:
    Actually, perhaps one of you could give me some advice on engine size.

For the MkIV is there two types of 1.4 engine?
    Is there much difference with the 1.6 engine in performace terms i.e. will it be a more relaxing drive on the motorway.
    I recently drove a new 1.4 and found it a little strained in top gear on the M50 at 120km/h, but it was brand new.
    AFAIK there is only one 1.4 engine.
    I have a 2001 MkIV 1.4 Comfortline. I often find the engine underpowered when overtaking but not "strained" in 5th gear at 120km/h. It's relatively easy to get a little extra speed, while still in 5th, to complete a manoeuvre.h

BTW, my average petrol consumption is just under 39mpg (I've gotten 47mpg on a long journey and 30mpg in stop/go traffic). I always fill the tank and record details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Would you consider a diesel? The petrol models generally give more trouble.

I have a Comfortline Golf MkIV and will be changing it for another in the summer. Problem is, I can't go back to a base model because I'm so used to the comfort and electrics.

I have known some Comfortlines to be 'missing' some features. A mate had a Bora one but had no front armrest, and mine has no rear headrests when all the other seem to. :confused:

pontovic wrote:
    Hey redman

In answering your question, I recently got a volkswagen Bora 1999 Comfortline which I may have to sell in and around the end of June because I'll be moving out of Ireland for a while. Ill give you the specs:

Model: VW Bora Comfortline 4dr
    Engine: 1.6SR 105bhp petrol (1595cc)
    Transmission: 5 speed manual
    Color: Black
    Owners: 2 ( me and previous owner ).

The car had a full service in January, which included changing the spark plugs, air filter and oil. The brake pads will be serviced today. The fuel injection system was also cleaned out 2 months ago. It has had a new battery also.

The car is unmodified and runs perfectly. It is ideal for long journeys. Although it may cost a little more to tax a 1.6l engine than a 1.4l, the petrol costs are almost the same. The Boras and Golfs with a 1.6l engine are much more responsive anyway and make for a much better drive, especially on motorways. A 1.4 engine in a car this size would be more strained, as you have seen. If you have any more questions let me know.

I would be interested in knowing the mileage and seeing a few photos.
    For the better half and she is looking for a hatchback, which I don't think the bora is?
    daymobrew wrote:
    AFAIK there is only one 1.4 engine.
    I have a 2001 MkIV 1.4 Comfortline. I often find the engine underpowered when overtaking but not "strained" in 5th gear at 120km/h. It's relatively easy to get a little extra speed, while still in 5th, to complete a manoeuvre.h
    Thanks for the response, perhaps it was the fact it was new and a MkV that I drove?
    faigs wrote:
    Would you consider a diesel?
    Sorry only want a Petrol. It won't be doing much mileage ,so fuel economy isn't too high up as consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

faigs wrote:
    Would you consider a diesel? The petrol models generally give more trouble.

I have a Comfortline Golf MkIV and will be changing it for another in the summer. Problem is, I can't go back to a base model because I'm so used to the comfort and electrics.

I have known some Comfortlines to be 'missing' some features. A mate had a Bora one but had no front armrest, and mine has no rear headrests when all the other seem to. :confused:

what's the specs and price on your car? I have a Focus 1.6 but due to the milage i do am considering a diesel.

2001 Golf 1.9 SDI (A bit sluggish coz theres no turbo, I only got it for low insurance as I was 20.)

Silver 5 door
    Comfortline
    16" VW alloys
    Elec Sunroof
    All elec windows
    F&R Armrest
    94000 miles, perfect condition (I keep it well polished & drive her well!)

Price - you'll have to get back to me on that one but I've been told its worth 10/11k???

It may seem sluggish compared to your Focus (its only 68bhp) so it might be a TDI you're looking for, but I've been really happy with this for 2 years, still good power in it because its a 1.9. If you're looking for low insurance in a diesel, this suits.

Great car. Prob won't sell for another few months though.

Off topic Quarryman, and a shot in the dark, but you don't know of any quarry jobs going in the Galway area? PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

The car is a saloon/sedan and it currently has 94000 miles on the clock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I bought a 00 Passat baseline last year and found it to be ok but without alot of extra's, just electric windows in front, no cd player and seats got a bit uncomfy over long trips. Found this out on a 3-4 hour drive to Kerry. After sitting in basic for the 4 hours driving I hopped out and into my brothers girlfirned Comfortline and you would notice the differnce with the seats......

After that I really wanted to swap from the basic to the comfortline but said would wait for a year anyway. So have the 00 a year and been looking around for ages for a 02 or 01 model to swap to. One thing to note the Irish comfortline is sh*t compared to what the English comfortline has installed.....anyway took a while to get one with low milage but yesterday got 02 Passat 1.9Tdi 130Bhp with just over 58k on the clock....as standard it is all electric windows, cd player with option to put in the changer into boot, cruise control, heated seats etc....lovely.....the Irish comfortline doesnt get half of this which I find a joke

I agree, I'll be looking for a comfortline from England too. They're generally in much better condition and more likely to have cruise control and lots more extras. It's hard to get a sunroof though, I'd prefer it to air con. Just hope I can get a good price for mine.

faigs wrote:
    I agree, I'll be looking for a comfortline from England too. They're generally in much better condition and more likely to have cruise control and lots more extras. It's hard to get a sunroof though, I'd prefer it to air con. Just hope I can get a good price for mine.

I found one Passat in the whole of Ireland with a sun roof for the year and milage I wanted, had none of the extra's the UK one had so left it there. If you get the climate control system then you wont need the sunroof.....I had it on yesterday, turned it to cold and the car was freezen in a few secs

True but I think I prefer the sunroof, its nice to have open in the summer and the climate control gives me a dry throat. Also, it uses about 10% more fuel when turned on :(

It's a Golf I'd be looking for.

faigs wrote:
    True but I think I prefer the sunroof, its nice to have open in the summer and the climate control gives me a dry throat. Also, it uses about 10% more fuel when turned on :(

It's a Golf I'd be looking for.

never seen a golf with a sunroof in Ireland anyway, cousin had 2 of them and he bought brand new and as far as I remember the sun roof wasnt an option. As mentioned above the UK prob have them as an option. I don't like the Golfs myself, very bouncy I find compared to the Passat which is alot more solid on the road

Never had a sunroof so wouldn't really miss it, girlfriend has an A3 and she has a sunroof on hers(import from UK as well for extra spec).....she swears by it since she had one in her Micra and won't buy a car without one anymore.

10% extra? wouldn't think it was that high....anyway if its a hot day just use the Ace Venture approach and stick your head out the window:D

Anyone know how much extra fuel the heated seats use? if much then my arse can stay cold:p

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    I bought a 00 Passat baseline last year and found it to be ok but without alot of extra's, just electric windows in front, no cd player and seats got a bit uncomfy over long trips. Found this out on a 3-4 hour drive to Kerry. After sitting in basic for the 4 hours driving I hopped out and into my brothers girlfirned Comfortline and you would notice the differnce with the seats......

After that I really wanted to swap from the basic to the comfortline but said would wait for a year anyway. So have the 00 a year and been looking around for ages for a 02 or 01 model to swap to. One thing to note the Irish comfortline is sh*t compared to what the English comfortline has installed.....anyway took a while to get one with low milage but yesterday got 02 Passat 1.9Tdi 130Bhp with just over 58k on the clock....as standard it is all electric windows, cd player with option to put in the changer into boot, cruise control, heated seats etc....lovely.....the Irish comfortline doesnt get half of this which I find a joke

How much did you paid for the passat, if you don't mind me asking ?

Big Nelly wrote:
    never seen a golf with a sunroof in Ireland anyway, cousin had 2 of them and he bought brand new and as far as I remember the sun roof wasnt an option.

There are quite a few of golfs with sunroof out there. I have one(and it's irish), and while I was looking for this car I saw a few of them at dealears

oli_ro wrote:
    How much did you paid for the passat, if you don't mind me asking ?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=363095

Thats it there, althou looks silver from the pics its a shade of met blue which is a very nice colour

VRT etc being paid on car at that price by dealer.
    oli_ro wrote:
    There are quite a few of golfs with sunroof out there. I have one(and it's irish), and while I was looking for this car I saw a few of them at dealears

Never seen them myself, never really looked to be honest, as mentioned above don't really like the Golf and the new model looks liek a Polo

There's a sunroof on my current Golf, you can see it on attachment on previous page. It must have been an option back in 2001! They are hard to come by though. A Golf just suits me better, I'm only 21 and don't really need a 'family' car.

And yes I was dissapointed when the new Polo came out with a face like the Golf MkV. :mad:

faigs wrote:
    There's a sunroof on my current Golf, you can see it on attachment on previous page. It must have been an option back in 2001! They are hard to come by though. A Golf just suits me better, I'm only 21 and don't really need a 'family' car.

And yes I was dissapointed when the new Polo came out with a face like the Golf MkV. :mad:

Nice car man, pity it aint a Tdi..is it very sluggish? I wouldn't put the Passat into a family car really, I know alot of people do but I like a big car, started in a Tdi Izuzu jeep and then my first car was a 1.6 Primera , drove that till the bottom fell out of it last year and swapped to the Passat.....liked it but I found the 90Bhp wanting a bit when on motorway/passing out. The new one is 130Bhp and I can tell you once you hop in you can feel the difference, takes off like a rocket:D

Just re-read your post, Bhp is very low, don't think I could drive that, like a big engine:D brother had a 1.9 flat Megane once and I couldn't drive it, kept cutting out because I wasn't used to the low Bhp.....suppose you would get used to it

Also as mentioned by you I wouldnt buy the petrol golfs, they are not very good and underpowered. brought one for a spin once and hated it. Would much rather the Tdi version if I had to buy a Golf. Also don't believe me? they have said the same numerous times on TopGear and other car programs. Engine problems as well are a common occurance.

Yeah it is very sluggish, 68 bhp:eek: but I'm so used to it that I only notice how bad it is after I've driven one of the gf's brothers 130 GTTDi's. Now they are feckin rockets. I get back into mine and become depressed! Ah it serves me well though, hopin to find a nice 110/130 bhp on in the summer, it will be a big step up! It is mostly wanting when overtaking and when on the motorway alright, I usually overtake when in 5th coz the revs go so high with high speed I'd snap a V belt or something in 4th.

As I say, my dad was lookin after the deal and he couldnt get a quote for me in a TDI so he had to get the low bhp for insurance reasons. (Bloody AXA, recently found out Hibernian dont consider the bhp in quotes, just the engine size so we switched to them-roll on the 130 bhp!)

I's just prefer Golfs at the moment, more practical for me. Also think the oul lad will be getting a new passat next year which I will also be insured in:cool:

I thought Top Gear hate diesel cars?? :rolleyes:

Yeah it is very sluggish, 68 bhp:eek: but I'm so used to it that I only notice how bad it is after I've driven one of the gf's brothers 130 GTTDi's. Now they are feckin rockets. I get back into mine and become depressed! Ah it serves me well though, hopin to find a nice 110/130 bhp on in the summer, it will be a big step up! It is mostly wanting when overtaking and when on the motorway alright, I usually overtake when in 5th coz the revs go so high with high speed I'd snap a V belt or something in 4th.

As I say, my dad was lookin after the deal and he couldnt get a quote for me in a TDI so he had to get the low bhp for insurance reasons. (Bloody AXA, recently found out Hibernian dont consider the bhp in quotes, just the engine size so we switched to them-roll on the 130 bhp!)

I's just prefer Golfs at the moment, more practical for me. Also think the oul lad will be getting a new passat next year which I will also be insured in:cool:

I thought Top Gear hate diesel cars?? :rolleyes:

Advertisement