Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belkin USB adapter problem

• 30-03-2006 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I recently bought a belkin USB 802.11g adapter to replace a fried PCI card USR adapter but it isn't working properly. If I log into XP under my own admin privileged account it finds my home network straight away no probs, but if anyone else logs into their account it doesn't pick it up for a good 2 mins!! It's weird. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I have the same piece of equipment and it doesn't work on my desktop at home. Well, it works rarely which is extremely annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

murphaph wrote:
    Hi all,
    I recently bought a belkin USB 802.11g adapter to replace a fried PCI card USR adapter but it isn't working properly. If I log into XP under my own admin privileged account it finds my home network straight away no probs, but if anyone else logs into their account it doesn't pick it up for a good 2 mins!! It's weird. Any ideas?

I'm afraid the above in bold is the mistake, had the same adaptor on an XP machine that had a complete OS reinstall up until recently and it would work fine (weakish signal) but the system would hang constantly and at random time intervals*. So I decided to run some cat 5e cable (not the easiest thing to do) to the location and see what happened?

I removed the adaptor, drivers & anything that even said BELKIN ;) and guess what.... I've had a stable system since!

Conclusion: Belkin have problems in the driver dept, support and firmware is hardly ever updated so I now avoid like the plague.

* I had probs with the PCMCIA notebook card too (went through 4 of em), if you took laptop out of the room the router was in (a Belkin HiSpeed) the signal would be lost, changed to a Linksys WPC54G and haven't looked back. Just to qualify my above 'avoid like the plague' comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Balls, might bring it back and get something better. Thanks fellas. It's the first Belkin thing I've ever bought and looks like it'll be the last.....(it's also a fresh install of XP with NO other hardware or software loaded!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

murphaph wrote:
    Balls, might bring it back and get something better. Thanks fellas. It's the first Belkin thing I've ever bought and looks like it'll be the last.....(it's also a fresh install of XP with NO other hardware or software loaded!!!)

I have belkin products with no prob. in XP and 2000.

Have you tried calling the freephone support? also do they not have a lifetime warranty?

Regards

Well I tried the 00800 'pan-european' support number and it doesn't work from either a mobile or landline. That's absolutely shocking customer 'service'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Was it the 00800 22355460?

They also have live chat support on their website.

Thanks

nava wrote:
    Was it the 00800 22355460?
    That's the one.
    nava wrote:
    They also have live chat support on their website.
    I'll try that! It's bloody annoying this is. The old US Robotics hardware/software operated flawlessly, should have bought another methinks.....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

murphaph wrote:
    Hi all,

I have the same device and had problems with it in non-priveleged accounts. Not exactly the same problem as you. It would have a connection innitially but lose it over time. Eventually I fixed it by using drivers from the chipset manufacturers ie. Ralink. I had to modify the .ini file that came with them to get windows to accept the driver but ever since my adapter has been working beautifully. I even have WPA2 support on them now. If you want I can email you my modified drivers. The filesize comes in at a measly 114k.

Edit: That is if the usb adapter your on about is a F5D7050

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I have a 7051 (HiSpeed mode version) can you post up where you picked up the chipset drivers and the mod you made to .ini Could you also post up drivers? Just zip em before you do to allow the board to accept them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

I have a Belkin USB Wireless G and also a Belkin Bluetooth dongle...both work without a problem....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

I have a 7051 (HiSpeed mode version) can you post up where you picked up the chipset drivers and the mod you made to .ini Could you also post up drivers? Just zip em before you do to allow the board to accept them ;)

Ok, well the 7051 uses the 4320 Broadcom chipset afaik. My ones uses Ralink USB. You can do the same with the Broadcom ones I think. I also had a PCI based F5D7001 which uses the same chipset as yours and I used the broadcom drivers without any editing. I've tried uploading them but they come in at 291k zipped. PM me your email and i'll send them.

Advertisement