Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping / Not Keeping Phone Number Implications for Broadband

• 30-03-2006 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hey folks,

So here's my story.

I'm in the process of moving from Chapelizod to Inchicore and am finally going to get my geek on as regards getting broadband set up.

We have a phone line in the place in Chapelizod and the new house has a phone connection but no assigned number. I'm wondering whether or not transferring or not transferring that number to the new place is
    a) Possible
    b) Going to have any implications with respect to getting broadband

AFAIK, the two lines are on completely different exchanges - Palmerstown and Dolphin's Barn, I think - so I'm not sure if the number switch is even possible. But, if it is, does it have any implications in terms of which services are provided? By that I mean, for example, I can go to the Magnet web site and it asks for my number and then tells me it doesn't serve my area - presumably it's looking up a database that tells it that I'm on the Palmerstown exchange. If I were to transfer the number, would my number be assigned to the new exchange and would would Magnet or other ISPs still think I was being served by the Palmerstown rather than Dolphin's Road exchange?

At the moment, Inchicore has slightly better options than Chapelizod so I'm keen not to tie myself to the old address but, at the same time, if at all possible, I'd like to keep my number.

Apologies if this is a common or moronic question but can't seem to find anything in the search results.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

hi this would be better posted in the broadband forum in comp/netcomms.

Anyway yes you should be able to move your phone number, if you ring 1901 they will go through it (if you are an eircom customer) or ring magnet and ask them, if that is you will be going with, and see if they service your new area, see if you can get the number of a neighbour and see if they qualify

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Vok

Yes, this would certainly qualify as a moronic question, seeing as I posted it in the For Sale General forum! [Slaps forehead!]

Sorry everyone! Can someone please move this to the Broadband forum while I go crawl under a rock? Thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Moved from FS General.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you are on the Dolphins Barn exchange in Inchicore that would open up the option of Smart BB for you but of course that means changing your number!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

dub45 wrote:
    If you are on the Dolphins Barn exchange in Inchicore that would open up the option of Smart BB for you but of course that means changing your number!:rolleyes:
    If the old number isn't yet on the new line, there's nothing stopping that number being transferred to Smart after they have taken over the new line. Or you could transfer the old number to a VOIP provider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wasted

Be prepared to wait if you want your number ported Eircom are really dragging feet , can take up to six weeks .I am trying to port my eircom number to my Voip service with digiweb, got hooked up in Feb, still waiting. Have two phone lines, but I want my number so I am going to wait them out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I'm fairly sure you can't port a number, in the strict sense, from one exchange to another, to answer the original question. You can do number forward but that obviously costs you money. If you have a deactivated line in the new place, connect a handset to it and dial 199000. This should give you the phone number of the deactivated line and you can then check if it's BB enabled.

You can forget about porting anything to Smart. The only way that you can keep your old number is by porting it to a VoIP provider.

Cheers, folks. Called Eircom and they confirmed that it wasn't possible to tranfer the number from one exchange to another. Sorry if this is common knowledge but in these days of loosely coupled services it seems eminently reasonable that your phone number should be portable. But I guess I'm over-estimating the capabilities of the POTS.

Dub45, you mentioned the Smart BB option. I'm really interested in them but had discounted them since, according to the GetBroadband.ie site, they aren't in the area. I'm assuming that you know someone in the area who's set up with them? How do they find them? I hear the copper in the area is really bad. Still, though, it's great news if they are as I'd definitely go with them for telephone service as well.

Tip to self: Don't rely on government-sponsored web site initiatives for up-to-date information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Just get a phone number of a nearby pub and stick it in Smart's line checker. That'll give you an idea at least.

If you're starting from scratch it makes every bit of sense to use Smart as it won't matter to you that your number will change once the Smart service is up and going. You will be assigned in essence a temporary number by eircom when the line is enabled and you'll then get a permanent number when Smart unbundles the line.

Great suggestion, Blaster. Did that and - woohoo! - they are in the area. This makes my day. Cheers, folks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement