Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Fraud

Options
  • 30-03-2006 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine bought a pc from Dell about 5 weeks ago for around €1500 . I used his CC to make an online purchase last wednesday week , so to make sure it went through properly I got him to check his a/c. When he did he found out that the Monday before that Dell took another payment of €1330 . Following morning he got on to Dell and they told him that he had made a purchase on that day , when he said he hadn't alarm bells started ringing . Turns out that someone else had used his card details . He got a name and address of someone in Dublin that used it and the was told to get onto his CC company and they would have to sort it out , which they are doing and he is getting his money refunded .

Here's the thing though , Dell have a condition that they are only supposed to send something to the address of the card holder , yet my mate lives in Limerick and they were sending the item to Dublin . Also he has no idea how this person could have gotten his CC details .

Kinda goes to show how easy it can happen .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Eh, your friend gave you his CC details to make a purchase?? This is a breach of his terms and conditions and hardly enhances security.

While Dell should only ship to the CC address, I would be asking who else your friend has given his CC details to before pointing the finger at Dell!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

is it an AIB card and did he give you a 'virtual cc' number ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

BrianD wrote:
    Eh, your friend gave you his CC details to make a purchase?? This is a breach of his terms and conditions and hardly enhances security.

He was standing alongside me at the time and it was over a secure network . it was technically him making a purchase for me .
    BrianD wrote:
    While Dell should only ship to the CC address, I would be asking who else your friend has given his CC details to before pointing the finger at Dell!!

Just me , he did buy his brother an airline ticket that week aswell but did it from his own pc .

I wasn't aware I was pointing a finger at Dell , but it was hard to tell the story without mentioning them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

I don't think you are pointing the finger at Dell however the facts of the matter seem to point the finger at Dell!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

inside jobbie was it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Doesn't really matter seeing as you are not liable.

Advertisement