Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opinions on to upgrade or buy new rig plz (question with a difference)

Options
  • 30-03-2006 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

ok, so how is up upgrade or buy a new rig question different??

Well, my current rig is a p4 3.2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd and an ati 9600 agp graphics card and recently i've been thinking that the graphics card is just not good enough any more to play games. It can manage hl2 and bf2 in low-mid detail and 1024x768 and be playabe but its not good enough anymore and i need more disk space
    Simple option i hear you say, just buy a new agp graphics card or get a pci-e motherboard and a new pci-e graphics card and a new 300gb hd.
    That would be fine except this is my laptop, or should i say desktop replacement, inspiron 9100.

So i'm faced with 2 options to get better gaming and storage:
    1) spend about a grand and get a spanking new desktop
    or
    2)spend about €250 and buy a 256mb ati 9800 mobility, open laptop and put it in instead of the existing card and mod it to the full 16 pipes of the desktop version. Spend another €100 on a hd and stick in an external closure.

the pro's for 1) are it would be upgradable, better gaming experience
    cons for 1) its the more expensive option, need to find a place to put it, wouldnt have to tinker with laptop innards, girlfriend would probably go mad at the money spent on another computer,space it'd take up and time i'd spend with it

the pro's for 2) cheaper option, no need for a new system, gaming on the move!! girlfriend would know no different ;)
    cons for 2)expensive card for the performance and spec, not latest generation, not 100% guaranteed to be able to mod it to the full 16 pipes, have to tinker with laptop innards.

So what are your opinions? What ever happens selling the laptop to fund the desk top is not an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

even a 256MB Mobility 9800 is going to be under pressure going forward.

I would recommend you flog the Lappy and buy a new one with the proceeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

yeah but as i said selling the laptop isnt an option.

Flog the lappy and buy a new lappy....ya moomin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

In short: keep the lappy as is (for whatever you use it for), buy a rig (for gaming).

Accept that lappy gaming is fraught with problems in terms of expansion/upgradeability. Replacing a lappy HDD or adding RAM is not that big a deal, but €250 for a 256MB 9800 (which you could buy 2nd-hand for €100 or less in here as a desktop card), which wouldn't even run BF2 maxed-out, sounds like a poor investment to me (not to say extremely short-termed, as current games like Oblivion and yet to come, like Crisys, are going to seriously test even you proposed upgraded lappy).

For that reason also, I wouldn't 'flog the lappy/buy a new one'. You'd only yet again be shoving yourself in a corner, where expandability/upgradeability is concerned. Think hard about why do you really need a lappy:
    * If it's just gaming, then a lappy is just plain dumb (no offense intended, note)
    * If it's fashion, I can't say nothing that won't be offensive :D
    * But if you need a lappy for proper 'lappy things' (computing on the go), then you could consider either keeping the lappy as is (as I've alluded to above), maybe even spec' down (shock! horror!) to a lappy that can do what you need it for same as yours (WiFi IE6 is just as fast on my PII 400 Portege 128 RAM as on my PM1.6 D600 512 RAM ;)), but free up some cash to put towards a gaming rig.

Personally (was in same situation a couple of years back), I've accepted that (i) BF2 is probably the highest-specced game I'm ever going to be able to play on my Latitude D600 but (ii) I'm unlikely to upgrade the lappy for the next 2/3 years, when considering what I'm really using it for (i.e. what I really need it for), e.g. dictation/word-processing & surfing on the go. Conversely, I'm now speccing a replacement rig for my current desktop, which is used at 95% of the time as a gaming platform.

Not to mention that playing FPS on a lappy touchpad sucks balls, and if all you're going to do is put the lappy on a table/desk and plug a USB mouse in it, then what's the fuppin' point of using a lappy (these 'desktop replacements' have always made me laugh - talk about putting form before function! ;) )

You need to set yourself a now-budget and a medium-term budget. If you can blow a grand on the desktop now, all good for you (and consider a Shuttle-type case + TFT, re. space required). But how about getting the best-most-upgradeable path (mobo) for cheapest you can now, then upping the innards over time?

ambro25 wrote:
    Accept that lappy gaming is fraught with problems in terms of expansion/upgradeability. QUOTE]

Modular Upgradeable Graphics Cards and now the standard on high spec Lappys.

It is now even easier to sell and replace a GPU on a lappy than on a Desktop!

A new laptop with a dual core mobo and 2gig of RAM is gonna last you a long time.

Why have 2 when one will do?

My Bro has an XPS Gen 2 from Dell, and I have to say it is impressive, and the measure of most peoples Desktops - 5000 in 3D Mark06 etc.

Inqui

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

buy a decent desktop, its the only way forward ;)
    no point in upgrading a lappy - 9800 isnt good enough these days

you wont look back when u get a decent gaming rig :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Inquitus wrote:
    ambro25 wrote:
    Accept that lappy gaming is fraught with problems in terms of expansion/upgradeability.

Modular Upgradeable Graphics Cards and now the standard on high spec Lappys.

It is now even easier to sell and replace a GPU on a lappy than on a Desktop!

A new laptop with a dual core mobo and 2gig of RAM is gonna last you a long time.

(I'm noting, in passing, that you've conveniently glossed over the rest of the paragraph, i.e. the 'value-for-money' bit. Apparently that's not important? Oh well... :) )

Erm... define "long time"? A year? Two years? I thought a AMD64 3000+ and 512MB of RAM was going to last me 'a long time' too, 2 years ago :D

Difference is, I paid £500 for it or so (new/turnkey/from the guys in purple - meh, I know), whereas a same-spec lappy would have easily breached the £1500 mark.

I accept the increasingly modular approach to lappy gfx cards - that was unheard of (as a general characteristic) 2 or 3 years ago. But note that "high-end laptops" with this functionality actually cease to be laptops as such, when they become desktop replacement... So what you're really paying for, is the form factor and the fact that it's easier to lug it when you visit your Ma' or change rooms. But would you go on hols with it? Would you commute with it? :rolleyes:
    Inquitus wrote:
    Why have 2 when one will do?

That's a fair comment if you're replacing a lappy with another. My point is focused upon the functional nature of laptop (as in 'portable'), not its fashionable (woa! lappy! lookitmeee! looks so much better than a mini-tower!) aspect. I own a laptop because I do a fair bit of computing on the move. I would, if I had the funds atm, actually go for a Sharp MMC10, which is lower-spec than my current D600 but has just about the right spec still for what I need it for, and is lighter/thinner/more portable than anything else out there, given the spec' & features-for-€. But forget gaming on that.

Hey, don't get me wrong - as I've stated, if you're happy throwing €s out the window and you're swimming in the stuff, they're yours to throw and good for you :)
    Inquitus wrote:
    My Bro has an XPS Gen 2 from Dell, and I have to say it is impressive, and the measure of most peoples Desktops - 5000 in 3D Mark06 etc.

Inqui

All good and well for him.

But how much did that ""XPS Gen 2 from Dell" clock in at (€s), and how much would it take to build a desktop rig with the same gaming performance at the time (€s), today, in 6 months' time and in a year's time?

For that matter, how much does the XPS Gen 2 weighs, how big is it size-wise and what's the battery life out-of-the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

all good and valid points so far, cheers.
    However if i am buying a new rig it wont be a laptop.
    The 9800 is the max that the inspiron 9100\XPS gen 1 can take, so yeah it'll get dated pretty quick, but not as quick as my 9700M(9600 in reality) which is already struggling even at low resolution & detail. So while it will more than doube the video power of the laptop, is it worh €250 ??? if it was below the €200 mark i think i'd definitely do it as the performance boost would be worth it regardless.

I also have to say that being able to play Bf2 etc while sitting on the couch or in the kitchen or even sitting up in bed is great, something ye cant do with a desktop.
    But then again i'll probably have to buy a new desktop system in 6-8 months time cause the 9800 will be outdated.
    sigh.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I agree with the sell old lappy buy new lappy option

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Dont throw anymore money at an old laptop, Either sell it and downgrade if you really need a laptop, And build your self a desktop gaming rig.

Good gaming desktop ~ €1000

Equivelant laptop ~ €2500

• Advertisement

Got my 9300 for €1200 - 2ghz PM, 256 Geforce Go6800 (368/780), 1.5gb RAM can be modded to take a Go7800 GTX once my warranty runs out. Not too bad I think.

Here = €1,115 doesnt mention a graphics card but a 7800 GTX is 300ish so its €1400 for a beast of a lappy

If you need a laptop, and you cant afford a laptop and desktop, get a high powered laptop.

CPU's are not really the limiting factor in todays games, GPU's are....

I would expect a top of the line lappy with a current high spec CPU and a modular graphics card with 2GB of DDR2 RAM to be good forgaming for a long while to come.

Of course if you have the cash a dedicated desktop gaming rig and an office spec laptop would be ideal,but having seen m Bro's XPS Gen 2, I am a firm believer that if mobile computing and gaming is a requirement, this option more than satisfies it.

You dont need to go the XPS Gen 2 route either. I would go for a min of 1GB DDR2 (which you can upgarde later to 2) a high spec CPU (dual core would make sense here) and a modular GPU (the lowest spec of which is a 6800Go I beleive) this would leave you plenty of room to upgarde in the future.

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you do get a laptop, get a pentium M. They are a beast in games.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Wow, Those Pentium M chips are great:eek: Are they based on the yonah/core architecture?

Look at this review, its neck and neck with a 2.4ghz Turion 64 and it wins the UT2004 Benchmark:eek:

And it actually consumes less power than a Turion 64:cool:

Intel are really getting their act together

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/pentiumm-vs-turion64/index.x?pg=1

Advertisement