Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your top Search Engine optimisation tips!

• 30-03-2006 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any tips for improving SEO for a newly formed website?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

SEO is a very broad area, and for a new site, your in for a lot of work.

First of all, I would make sure the site offers good and original content.
    Next, I would suggest you submit your site to some directories. A good list is here:

http://www.seocompany.ca/directory/free-web-directories.html

You should optimize your site for keywords that are searched for. Make sure you check http://inventory.overture.com

Next you need to build up some backlinks naturally. Write some articles and submit them to article submission sites. There's a lot of them. Get other sites to link to you, not because you ask them to, but because you offer something useful.

You may also want to consider a press release with PRweb. Its expensive, but a lot of stuff from there gets put on Google news.

There's just a few of many things to get you going. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

There are several discussions over on http://forum.search.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

http://forums.seochat.com - everything you need is there.

Word of warning - SEO is much harder than you realise (at least, for good results on Google it is!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

What's the site? So we can give you some tips!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

Will links from website directory's be good for a site's listing? I would have thought that search bots would recognize that these were not of very good link value?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Will links from website directory's be good for a site's listing? I would have thought that search bots would recognize that these were not of very good link value?

It depends on the directory. Try to get your listing in sections that have a high PR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Hi all,

thanks for the tips. I considered putting the site up here, but thought it could have implications at the day-job, so better not.

Something that occurred to me. If you are paying for adwords, getting good traction (i.e. lots of click-thoughs), does Google take this into account. I mean, surely if people search for an item, see your ad and then Click-through, then it must be relevant to them? Would their onward clicks indicate further 'relevance' (if they were within the site)?

The thing is that if Google were to do this, then there would be less need to pay for Adwords - are they so commercial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

AKAIK there is no connection whatsoever between google's paid and natural search positions.

Why would it anyway? That would basically mean you were paying for natural search position which would totally undermine the whole system.

Goes against their "Don't be evil" mantra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

m_stan wrote:
    AKAIK there is no connection whatsoever between google's paid and natural search positions.

Why would it anyway? That would basically mean you were paying for natural search position which would totally undermine the whole system.

Goes against their "Don't be evil" mantra.

Not necessarily.

By definition, the sites that creat revenue for Google are the ones that are satisfying searchers need for information. Google does a brief review of your ad, makes sure it is relevant before it lets you put it up.

If someone searches, sees your ad, clicks through, then clicks elsewhere on your site - then it must've been appropriate. The fact you have paid is in fact irrelevant to the fact that it satisfied the search.

If Google were to use this information in their algorithms it would surely improve searches.

Genghis wrote:
    If Google were to use this information in their algorithms it would surely improve searches.

I guarantee you they do not do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

tomED wrote:
    It depends on the directory. Try to get your listing in sections that have a high PR.

Whats PR? :confused:

Google Page Rank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I have found some directories useful. dmoz.org is a must. Also try the Irish ones like Search.ie and Browseireland.com. They at least help people find your site whether its through theirs or by improving your ranking.

Advertisement