Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie Haughey, Should you go to his funeral????

Options
  • 30-03-2006 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering what are peoples attitudes about attending Charlie Haughey's funeral should he pass away in his present state of decline.

I would go myself but not because of his contribution to Irish society. I very much admire his rise from the streets of Donnycarney to the top job in the country and his (previous) home in Kinsaley. His amazing comeback after the Arms Trial is inspirational and also is his fighting spirit in defeating 4 challenges to his leadership of Fianna Fail.

As someone who was governed by him, I despise him. I work in an IFSC company and am doing quite well because of his "turn the economy around" policies of the late 80's and early 90's. However, he does not deserve an ounce of gratitude for it. The only reason he turned the economy around in 1987 to 1989 was because his Government were in a minority position and Garret Fitzgerald (before resigning) left a regime of forcing Haughey to take drastic measures to turn the economy around or be removed from office. His backing of the IFSC was as much for his benefit as the rest of the country's. In this light, I would go to his funeral for the same reason that he went to Erskine Childers' funeral in the early 70's "TO MAKE SURE THE F*CKER IS PLANTED"

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS????

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The more people turn up for his funeral, the more the media will call him a "statesman", a label the thieving scumbag doesn't deserve by any stretch of the imagination. Unless you wear a placard saying "Just Making Sure The F*cker Is Planted" of course. I'd pay to see a procession with a few of them in line...

You wear one of those, and I'll wear one saying "Where's The Grave, I'm Dying For A P*ss?"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

There are certain good things that Haughey did and there are certain bad things that he did.

1 Wrong + 1 Right != (does not equal) 1 Right

Does it equal one wrong well that is up to you.

I amn't a fan of state funerals I would very unlikely to turn up to anyones funeral unless I knew them or their family or a close friend.

I don't understand the obsession people have with going to political funerals.

Also I wouldn't give all the credit to Garett Fitzgerald. (ever)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭JohnnySideburns

(Deleted Message)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

well, the main reason he rose to power was because he had the integrity of a Hyena, which is something not particularly admirable in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Just out of interest - what are the criteria for a state funeral - i.e.
    do ex an taoiseachs and presidents automatically get one or are they decided upon by the government of the day ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Holders of high office are entitled to state funerals. It is for them to decide, not the government of the day.

Of course, it is the government of the day that sets the budget.

Military officers are entitled to military funerals and as a former FCÁ lieutenant, Haughey would be entitled to that too.

I wonder will they name the Port Tunnel after him - a big hole that just swallows money.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Given that should have passed away rotting in prison there is no way I would attend his funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Does the taxpayer foot the bill for a state funeral. Don't want to be swindled out of more money by him.
    Pig fodder

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

He did good stuff as well as bad so I wouldn't take away from his funeral.

rubadub wrote:
    Does the taxpayer foot the bill for a state funeral. Don't want to be swindled out of more money by him.
    We're stuck for it.
    He did good stuff as well as bad so I wouldn't take away from his funeral.
    Like?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Victor wrote:
    Military officers are entitled to military funerals and as a former FCÁ lieutenant, Haughey would be entitled to that too.
    correct, but only the colour party to fire shots, 4 of them with rifles IIRC and thats quite enough of an investment in Haughey by the people .
    I wonder will they name the Port Tunnel after him - a big hole that just swallows money.
    LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I will be attending.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    correct, but only the colour party to fire shots, 4 of them with rifles IIRC and thats quite enough of an investment in Haughey by the people .
    I'd be willing to invest in a few rifles in Haughey's honour right now, as long as I have a say on how they're aimed.

(I'm a pacifist by virtue of cowardice, but every philosophy has it's exceptions, right?)

CJhaughey wrote:
    I will be attending.
    Do you have a choice? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,433 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

CJhaughey wrote:
    I will be attending.

As long as you don't breathe

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Victor wrote:
    Do you have a choice? :D

Bravo :D .

...No, I won't be going near his funeral. He did some good things (RE: The economy - to answer your question Vic) but such moves, as stated, were motivated by personal greed. He has, along with others, tarnished politics and politicians in this country.

He did some good things (RE: The economy - to answer your question Vic) but such moves, as stated, were motivated by personal greed.
    Pretty much everything he did either lined his pockets or the pockets of those around him. The other things he did got people killed.

NoelRock wrote:
    He has, along with others, tarnished politics and politicians in this country.
    The ones that couldn't do with a dollop of Brasso of some size could be counted on the fingers of one hand on a one-fingered man.

Victor wrote:
    Pretty much everything he did either lined his pockets or the pockets of those around him. The other things he did got people killed.

So... you agree with me then? It'd probably be easier to say, "I agree".

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

god i really loathe that evil man.

The only "good" things he done for the country were done to benefit himself. He has the wealth now to support his family for generations and it all came from taxpayers money.

And I really hope his funeral doesnt come out of taxpayers money, that would really be the cherry on the cake.

As for attending his funeral - not a chance. The day he dies will be a joyous occasion. I might organise a bit of a rave on his grave if anything if anyones interested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Victor wrote:
    Like?
    For example, free public transport for pensioners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Given the chance I would attend. Just to make sure the fucker was dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'd go, depending on the jigs they'd be playing.

At least his passing will free up three uniform guards from static duty and a state driver and Merc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I grew up in Donnycarney and their are a lot of people from the area who will not hear a bad word said about him.Apparently he was a great TD and could and did get things done in hours for his constituents,looking back now thats probably because civil servant's were scared **** less of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Dub13 wrote:
    I grew up in Donnycarney and their are a lot of people from the area who will not hear a bad word said about him.Apparently he was a great TD and could and did get things done in hours for his constituents,looking back now thats probably because civil servant's were scared **** less of him.

That sums Irish politics up to a tee...you need to have the head of the country in your backyard to get your potholes filled.

Parish-pump politics at its very worst - no wonder we have an exuse for local government in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I heard a rumour that CJ died this afternoon. Will be announced later or tomorrow.
    Any confirmation?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I hope he dies screaming.

Interesting to see all his old cronies at it. All those sidekicks (who are now in government) of his who never :rolleyes: wondered how he finaced his lifestyle.

thejuggler wrote:
    I heard a rumour that CJ died this afternoon. Will be announced later or tomorrow.
    Any confirmation?

EDIT: Apparently not. Supposedly he's recovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭SeanW

CJhaughey wrote:
    I will be attending.
    I would imagine so ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Rockdolphin

I just hope Charlie Haughey is at the funeral, you can never trust that man ! Whats the betting he might kick the bucket on April the 1st

Seems so long ago now when I used to see the donkey in the Paddy's Day parade with a sign on it saying 'Charlie Haughey's Ass' Those were the days

Advertisement