Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MySQL - selecting address fields

Options
  • 30-03-2006 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a table called site, with four fields called address1, address2, address3, address4 (among others). I want to concatenate the address fields in a one-line, comma separated string, for example:

select concat(address1,', ', address2,', ',address3,', ',address4) from site;
    Example Output: 1 Main St, Blackrock, Dundalk, Co Louth

Which is fine.. however, when some of the address fields are balnk the output looks like:
    10 Dawson St, Dublin 2, ,
    Even worse, if they're all blank, the output looks like: , , ,

So what I want to do is only select a comma after an address field if the address field is not blank..

Anybody know how to do this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 smack_monkey

You could use CONCAT_WS(), but you'll have to set your blanks to NULL values. From the MYSQL reference manual:

CONCAT_WS(separator,str1,str2,...)

CONCAT_WS() stands for Concatenate With Separator and is a special form of CONCAT(). The first argument is the separator for the rest of the arguments. The separator is added between the strings to be concatenated. The separator can be a string, as can the rest of the arguments. If the separator is NULL, the result is NULL.

mysql> SELECT CONCAT_WS(',','First name','Second name','Last Name');
    -> 'First name,Second name,Last Name'
    mysql> SELECT CONCAT_WS(',','First name',NULL,'Last Name');
    -> 'First name,Last Name'

So set up your address fields so that blanks default to NULL. Use

SELECT CONCAT_WS(',',address1,address2,address3,address4) FROM site;

Which (hopefully) should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

That's cool thanks smack_monkey. It would be too much of a hassle to make all the blank strings null in the project I'm currently working on.. But I have used concat_ws with trim (also listed on that page) to give the desired result.

select trim(both ', ' from concat_ws(', ',address1,address2,address3,address4))

It takes all of the ', ' strings off the beginning and end of the result...

Thanks again!

Advertisement