Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power Steering on a Mazda 6

Options
  • 30-03-2006 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

There is a very loud noise coming the power steering from my 04 Mazda 6. It is particularly noticable at low speeds or if I turn the wheel while stopped completely.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing it....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Power steering can whine a bit on full lock. But I'm guessing you're talking about more of a "screeching" noise in which case the power steering pump belt is slipping and needs adjustment/replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I have a Mazda 6. No power-steering problems but I've read of others who had a similar problem.

Still under warranty so bring it to a dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

pburns wrote:
    I have a Mazda 6. No power-steering problems but I've read of others who had a similar problem.

Still under warranty so bring it to a dealer

Did your friends get sorted ?

And on the subject of bringing it to a dealer, anyone have any experience of Mike O Dwyer motors in Limerick ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

It wasn't a friends' car. I think I read it under the owner reviews on the cbg.ie site.
    No experience of Mazda dealers in that neck of the woods.

Was in O'Briens' in Newbridge lately. Customer service seemed OK. Their hospitality section literature is nauseatingly self-promoting tho'. Quite funny actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

BnA wrote:
    Did your friends get sorted ?

And on the subject of bringing it to a dealer, anyone have any experience of Mike O Dwyer motors in Limerick ?

Have no experience of them from a customer service point of view but my experience of the salesteam, I found them to be a bunch of muppets who had more interest in watching a rugby match than making a sale.

Anyway as the car is still under warranty then they should have no problem sorting it out. There is also a Mazda dealer in Ennis afaik, Cahercalla Motors on the Kilrush Rd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

bazz26 wrote:
    Have no experience of them from a customer service point of view but my experience of the salesteam, I found them to be a bunch of muppets who had more interest in watching a rugby match than making a sale.

Funny you should say that because when I went down there this morning the both Sales guys were on the phone sorting out tickets and making plans for the Munster match tomorrow.

However I did meet a very helpful guy called Carlos from Service. He came out and had a look and told me I just needed to top up the Power Steering fluid. I thought I had checked it but the line that I thought was fluid was actually just a mark left from where the fluid used to be. So I topped it up and it's sorted it now.

Of course the question now is..... where the hell did the fluid that was in it go.....? I'll see if it stays in it this time and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

BnA wrote:

Of course the question now is..... where the hell did the fluid that was in it go.....? I'll see if it stays in it this time and take it from there.

It leaked out. Simple enough given the many seals and shafts, pipes and joints in the system.
    main leakers being the ends of the steering rack, the shaft of the PS pump and the joints between threaded fittings and the flexible rubber hosing.

keep an eye on it, these can develop fast leaks. eg I loose about a cupfull a week.

Advertisement