Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Re: Steering On a Honda Civic

Options
  • 30-03-2006 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey!
    My sister has had this 1991 1.5 Motor Sport 25XT Civic(Jap Import) since 97, and the only major replacment was the alternator last year, which was no surpprise with the amount of electrics on it.
    But a few months back she noticed that the steering wheel would shake when she applied the brakes, she had it looked at and the garage said that they could find notting wrong with it. Last week she had the brake pads replaced and since then the problem has goten way worst, braking at 40mph and below even and the whole coloum seems the shudder, shes been back to the guy that replaced the pads, and he in fairness said that he hadn't a clue what the problem is, i say in fairness cos she left it with another garage, they had it for 2 days and said that they could find noting wrong with it, maybe if they had driven it theyed have found that its not right. She loves this car and can't afford to change at the moment so any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭roger 2006 yeah

does it have ABS ? could be something wrong with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

This is a common problem with old cars but am not sure what exactly it is and am very surprised that a garage cant figure it out. There is a Irish Honda site, look in the modified section - thread about web sites there is a Honda site there. You should be able to get some answers from there.

Sorry I cant do links for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

No she doesn't have ABS. I forgot to mention that it has power steering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Oops sorry C below

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Does the brake pedal judder too?
    It could be warped discs, a not too uncommon fault in hard driven cars, which I read alot of jap import cars can be.

A test for this would be to brake lightly while going forward @ 30-40kph and if the car starts to rock slightly forward and back as if the breaks are only working on/off then you've warped discs. ( not the end of the world btw).

• Advertisement
Advertisement