Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Heads up:On cheap tyres

Options
  • 30-03-2006 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

As I am sure a lot of you will know already but could not resist posting about Dave Mc Canns tyres in Coolmine/Bus park. Went looking for a basic set of firestones 175/70/14 and got prices rangeing from €73 a tyre(fast-fit) down to €50 a tyre with McCanns. Exactly the same tyre F-590's but for €23 yo-yo's a tyre cheaper:eek: . And from what I have been told Bridgestone who make firestone own Fast-fit which also bought Kwit-fit, so go figure that one out:rolleyes:

Cubix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cubix wrote:
    As I am sure a lot of you will know already but could not resist posting about Dave Mc Canns tyres in Coolmine/Bus park. Went looking for a basic set of firestones 175/70/14 and got prices rangeing from €73 a tyre(fast-fit) down to €50 a tyre with McCanns. Exactly the same tyre F-590's but for €23 yo-yo's a tyre cheaper:eek: . And from what I have been told Bridgestone who make firestone own Fast-fit which also bought Kwit-fit, so go figure that one out:rolleyes:

Cubix

You wouldn't havetheir phone number handy, would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Anan1 wrote:

i only noticed now that my dad business is right next door.:D so whenever i need a tyre i hope i get a good deal;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Anan1 wrote:

01-8202221;)

Thanks for that, they're going to call me back. I had ordered a set of Goodyear Eagle F1s from eiretyres, but they never came through. By the way, does anyone know whether there is more than one type of F1, and, if so, what are the differences?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

I was just going to ask, has anyone ever used eiretyres.com? Whats the service like, delivery times etc. How can they offer such a cheap rate inc delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Anan1 wrote:
    Thanks for that, they're going to call me back. I had ordered a set of Goodyear Eagle F1s from eiretyres, but they never came through. By the way, does anyone know whether there is more than one type of F1, and, if so, what are the differences?

Am no tyre expert but yes there is.

Seemingly F1's make the Astra make funny noisey due to some very weird wear patterns.

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=192546&highlight=eagle+goodyear

Thanks for that, kluivert. Looks like the GSD2 is better than the GSD3. We'll see how the prices look next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

i got a set of EAGLE GS-D2 F1 's from eiretyres & i think they are great (215/45 x 17).
    I have used eiretyres 4 times in the past & have never had ANY trouble,always delivered before the date they said.
    I would use them again anytime;)

mondeoman wrote:
    i got a set of EAGLE GS-D2 F1 's from eiretyres & i think they are great (215/45 x 17).
    I have used eiretyres 4 times in the past & have never had ANY trouble,always delivered before the date they said.
    I would use them again anytime;)

I just tried eiretyres again, they don't appear to have F1s in my size any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have heard a good few tyre stockists don't do Goodyear tyres anymore as Goodyear are seemingly only interested in the high end of the tyre market these days hence they have become too expensive so demand is low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I bought a set of Goodyear GT2 tyres from Dave McCann last week for 220 fitted. That was close to half the price I was quoted for Goodyears (may not have been GT2s, but they weren't F1s either) elsewhere.

Dave McCann just called me back. Unfortunately he doesn't have, and can't get, F1s. Very nice guy, though. He recommended Dunlop SP01s instead, although he did say they weren't as good as the F1s. any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

I dunno about the SP01's but I have the SP 9000's and they are a good tyre. Good to have rim protection too, I dont think the F1's do.

Anan1 wrote:
    Dave McCann just called me back. Unfortunately he doesn't have, and can't get, F1s. Very nice guy, though. He recommended Dunlop SP01s instead, although he did say they weren't as good as the F1s. any thoughts?

what size are you looking for??

my F1 s DO have rim protection

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I've never really shopped for specific tyres before, usually just ring around and get a mid price tyre. Just checking eirtyres. Should I be looking for summer/winter/all or whats the difference?

Anyone got any recommendations? I'm after a set of 195/65 R15.

Stekelly wrote:
    I've never really shopped for specific tyres before, usually just ring around and get a mid price tyre. Just checking eirtyres. Should I be looking for summer/winter/all whats the difference?

Anyone got any recommendations? I'm after a set of 195/65 R15.

Hi m8,
    I would recommend a set of goodyear eagle nct5 's',i had them on my standard wheels & i thought they were great.
    i would go for summer tyres with a 'H' or 'V' rating,
    the ones i had were 195/60 x r15 but will also fit yours.

i heard that 'KUMHO' s are very good,:D

mondeoman wrote:
    what size are you looking for??

my F1 s DO have rim protection

205/60 VR15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Whats this "rim protection" ye speak of?

Ps: Are the following a good tyre? Can anyone here reccommend them as they suit my budget perfectly.
    Nankang
    Summer tyres NS-2
    205/45 R16 83V **
    E67,30
    or
    Nankang
    Summer tyres NS-1
    205/45 R16 83W **
    E75,50.

How come the W rated tyre is dearer than the V rated tyre? is W standing for wet? Whats H + V stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nuttzy wrote:
    Whats this "rim protection" ye speak of?

How come the W rated tyre is dearer than the V rated tyre? is W standing for wet? Whats H + V stand for?

Rim protection means the wall of the tyre edges out about half a centimeter or less over the wheel rim to protect it from scrapes and scuffs. Can also go a small way to prevent a small buckle.

Not sure about W rated tyres but H rated tyres are designed for speeds up to 210km/h, V speeds up to 240km/h. I would presume W are similar to ZR and Y rated tyres for high performance sports cars.

Anan1 wrote:
    205/60 VR15

I see what you mean:confused: .

I would recommend the NCT5s or uniroyal rallye550.or goodyear hydragrip got good test results also;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

+1 for Dave McCann. I just got off the phone with him, very friendly and informative guy. He gave a great price on a pair of 'Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX 235/45 ZR17' - €155 fitted.

That's a damn good price, Eiretyres were 135,50 (+10 for fitting).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

mondeoman wrote:

i heard that 'KUMHO' s are very good,:D

I hope the grin means that you are being sarcastic.

They were newly fitted on my car before I bought it, what loads of sh1t they truly are.

/edit
    just noticed this thread is fairly ancient..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

gyppo wrote:
    just noticed this thread is fairly ancient..

It is. Closed now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement