Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New rules of the road

• 30-03-2006 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone seen anything current on the new rules of the road?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I spoke to May in the DoT and she claims that she doesn't know when but hopefully in the next few weeks the final draft will be on the website for feedback.
    I can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

they arent new rules....you just get points now for breaking them AND a fine.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Does this mean that next week, they're issuing penalty points for a raft of offences, some of which are not described in the currently available 'rules of the road'?

e.g. the current edition doesn't mention cycle tracks/lanes, their signs or markings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Does this mean that next week, they're issuing penalty points for a raft of offences, some of which are not described in the currently available 'rules of the road'?
    While it is a tad incredulous, unfortunately ignorance of the law is no excuse, so no-one can use the "The rules of the road doesn't say it" excuse in court.

I'd be interested to see if they actually update the handbook for modern driving (i.e. city and heavy traffic driving), or if they just tack on some new sections to the old book.

Im expecting them to use the old braking distances/times (not reaction figures) - these were taken from an old Ford Anglia years ago which used brake drums.

• Advertisement

cant let that pass without putting on my anorak to say it must have been a 103E or a 100E anglia as the 105E had discs on the front.......therefore pre 1959!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

My driving instructor told me that they are due out in the next few months. In fairness, they are due an overhaul. Foreword by Brendan Howlin 1995 ffs.

I expect they need to put stuff in about the points and NCT etc. also possibly something about the Luas junctions.

Perhaps they will take stuff out like that picture of the crack team of junior wardens, I've never seen them in real life anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Hopefully they will put in something about hogging the overtaking lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Pataman wrote:
    Hopefully they will put in something about hogging the overtaking lane.

That's in the current edition:

Page 32 (Quote) "The normal 'keep left' rule applies. This means that you stay in the left hand lane unless you are overtaking"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

corktina wrote:
    cant let that pass without putting on my anorak to say it must have been a 103E or a 100E anglia as the 105E had discs on the front.......therefore pre 1959!!!!!
    An Anglia 105E with disc brakes ????? :eek: :eek: :eek: I don't think so :) The only cars to have disc brakes in those days (very late 50's - early 60's) were high performance cars like Jags. You can get disc brake conversions for Anglias, I hear, but I'm pretty sure they were never fitted as standard.

I learnt to drive in one of those BTW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Keep the suggestions coming.

I have official word that they will be made available for public consultation soon.

For once, I'm only marginally cynical. :D Its amazing who you meet at things like this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054884906

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Litcagral wrote:
    Page 32 (Quote) "The normal 'keep left' rule applies. This means that you stay in the left hand lane unless you are overtaking"
    They should also have a very large section on the keep left rule. The one about keeping to the left of the road / keeping to the left of the lane you are in.

Of course you have to keep out when there are cyclists about !

The reason.
    A lot of taxpayers money has gone into widening roads in the SDCC area. Much of it is wasted since you end up with roads that are three lanes wide - one assumes to allow over taking or allow emergency vehicles to pass - but since almost everyone hogs the white line it overtaking is well nigh impossible.

In the UK I've seen many places where they would split our wide lanes into narrow lanes that cars could use and just put up a sign telling trucks and buses to use both lanes.

Also this hogging the middle of the road makes overtaking on many stretches of our N road Extremely dangerous. /RANT

Alun wrote:
    An Anglia 105E with disc brakes ????? :eek: :eek: :eek: I don't think so :) The only cars to have disc brakes in those days (very late 50's - early 60's) were high performance cars like Jags. You can get disc brake conversions for Anglias, I hear, but I'm pretty sure they were never fitted as standard.

I learnt to drive in one of those BTW!
    ah ha!! april fool!!!!

(wish it was.....yep I slipped up there......many Anglia 105E's were converted but they had drums originally....

Cerdito wrote:
    I expect they need to put stuff in about the points and NCT etc. also possibly something about the Luas junctions.
    The Luas junctions don't really need special consideration - if the new book explains how to use yellow box junctions and traffic lights then all should be fine.

I would also expect them to clarify the correct procedures whilst approaching and using roundabouts.

Presumably they will introduce a moped section.

Advertisement