Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth Upgrading a 6800

Options
  • 30-03-2006 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

I have a 256mb Nvidia 6800GT running on a HP multimedia 3.0ghz 2gb ram. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 7900 as per the one mentioned in another thread from overclockers.

I mostly play BF2 and lately Oblivion.

Would upgrading my card make a considerable difference and more importantly would it be worth the €350 investment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Hmm.. do you feel you need to upgrade are you unhappy with what you currently have ?

If no then don't bother wait it out till either the price lowers or something faster comes along.

If yes then a 7900GT will offer a size-able improvement over the 6800GT in performance with BF2 and Oblivion.

Supply of 7900GT's seems to be tight at the moment so not a lot of places have them so check out Komplett and OcUK to see whats in stock, OcUk definitely have the BFG and Gainward branded versions at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

as always 8T8 ... great advice on everything in here :)

I stuck with my 9800pro in the end and never bothered upgrading to a 6800 because once oblivion arrived ... I realised its playing pretty decently on my system and I'd only be forking out 300+ EUR to play 1 game which is slightly overkill

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭MrTimewalk

Well I reckon I might hold off, good point 300+ squid for just one or two games is a bit much alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

error9 wrote:
    as always 8T8 ... great advice on everything in here :)

I stuck with my 9800pro in the end and never bothered upgrading to a 6800 because once oblivion arrived ... I realised its playing pretty decently on my system and I'd only be forking out 300+ EUR to play 1 game which is slightly overkill

Out of interest how is that holding up - what res and options do you play with? I have a 256mb vanilla X800 - runs games grand but I was somewhat dreading trying to run the next gen of games on it.

HavoK wrote:
    Out of interest how is that holding up - what res and options do you play with? I have a 256mb vanilla X800 - runs games grand but I was somewhat dreading trying to run the next gen of games on it.

Its working well ... it could be a lot better I realise ... and I think the benchmarks for the 6800 show it at nearly twice the power of the 9800pro ... from what I can remember at any rate ...

What I don't have is a lot of the nice shadows and stuff no AA in it ...

The 9800pro plays BF2 very well at 1024x768 .. I don't play it any higher than that ...
    It ran the farcry demo pretty well at 1024x768

Oblivion ... I dropped back to 800x600 and turned up a lot of the detail levels and its working well ... I've not had a chance to compare it to a high end PC yet and I know I'll go **** want have ... :) .. but as it is I'm happy enough for the next while ...

The reason I'll buy a new system will be something like this :D

http://http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/694/694190/vids_1.html

• Advertisement

Having just looked at a load of screen shots from other users here I just have to go ...

ok the game plays .. but its not pretty :)

Oblivion Babes *sighs*

Advertisement