Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off diamond ring

Options
  • 30-03-2006 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

just returned from amazing holiday in south africa, purchsed a diamond engagement ring for €6000 , got it priced back in ireland in one of only two places that do it in the country according to Weirs jewellers.
    Treated like a lepor in the shop, the lady i dealt with was extrememly unfriendly and uncooperative (nothing new there) she was really put out with the fact I had purchased in Sth. Africa.
    Value €11000

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Bosie wrote:
    just returned from amazing holiday in south africa, purchsed a diamond engagement ring for €6000 , got it priced back in ireland in one of only two places that do it in the country according to Weirs jewellers.
    Treated like a lepor in the shop, the lady i dealt with was extrememly unfriendly and uncooperative (nothing new there) she was really put out with the fact I had purchased in Sth. Africa.
    Value €11000

Thats such a difference thats the same as my mum as she gets jewellery made from pakistan and is so cheap compared to here and when you value it here they just think you are a king.:D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Bosie wrote:
    Value €11000
    Yeah, I know she prob should have been nicer, but you were in effect saying, 'I know how much I paid for this, but I want you to tell me how much profit Ive made by buying abroad, and I want to rub your nose in it at the same time':D

Valuing diamonds is tricky but woulda thought more than two places can do it, could name you quite a few off top of my head..:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

KatieK wrote:
    Yeah, I know she prob should have been nicer, but you were in effect saying, 'I know how much I paid for this, but I want you to tell me how much profit Ive made by buying abroad, and I want to rub your nose in it at the same time':D
    :

Most people who buy jewellery abroad have to get it revalued for insurance reasons when thy get home.........not just to rub sale assistants noses in it!

Enii wrote:
    Most people who buy jewellery abroad have to get it revalued for insurance reasons when thy get home.........not just to rub sale assistants noses in it!
    I know, but believe me some people do it for that reason, not saying OP did! And jewellers usually charge a mint for official valuations, getting their cut after all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

KatieK wrote:
    I know, but believe me some people do it for that reason, not saying OP did! And jewellers usually charge a mint for official valuations, getting their cut after all. :)

some people do want to rub it in just for the laugh.but mostly for the insurance purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Marathon_Man

Bosie wrote:
    Value €11000

What's the rip off?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

What's the rip off?
    I think he is refering to the fact that the ring would have cost 11k here but was only 6k in SA.

There is a shop in Dun Laoghaire Shopping centre that values jewellery. They are called remain (or something like it.) Very friendly and reasonably priced for a valuation.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd sell it for the 11k, go to S.A first class (cos I could afford it) buy another 6k ring, bring it back, sell it for 11k. repeat and wash.

That is if I could find someone to pay 11k...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What were you saying to her and what was she saying back to you? not verbatim but just the gist of it. What did it matter to her where you bought it, and why even tell her in the first place. If she really is that messed in the head (paint weirs in a VERY bad light BTW) then she may have undervalued it to piss you off.

Very odd for what would usually be regarded as the best jewellers in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Bosie wrote:
    Value €11000

How much did you have to pay at customs, though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Well, then, there's the price difference he's moaning about. Is it really a ripoff to tax diamond rings as luxury items?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

rubadub wrote:
    What were you saying to her and what was she saying back to you? not verbatim but just the gist of it. What did it matter to her where you bought it, and why even tell her in the first place. If she really is that messed in the head (paint weirs in a VERY bad light BTW) then she may have undervalued it to piss you off.

Very odd for what would usually be regarded as the best jewellers in dublin.

I would class Appleby's as the best jeweller in Dublin, Weirs is more of a department store.

Out of interest Bosie, is the diamond you bought certified?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You can only bring personal jewellery home from abroad though, right? Somebody was telling me that they knew of some guy in Australia who got loads of gold jewellery for a great price, but wouldn't have been able to get it home so he had to wear it for about a month to give it a "worn" look, then he was able to bring it home. I only heard that about a week ago but totally forget who told me:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Bosie

The ring is certified, and was not bought for profit reasons, merely for value alone. The valuation is for my home insurance.
    As far as buying a ring to sell back home, i dont think it works that easily, no person wants a ring that was bought off the buy and sell from a bloke with a tan just back from his holidays.
    As for, declaration, you must be joking.
    My point which i was trying to make at first is, there is enourmous value abroad be it Jewellery or furniture, which i have also purchased in France and Portugal for 40-50% less than here.
    Don't accept crap prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Ireland is a rip off in general, not just jewelary. you can buy the top spec all extras Toyota Celica 2006 in the UK for €32,000 or buy a 2005 regular irish spec with 20k on the clock for €35,000. Then to import the 2006, there's 11,000 vrt and 21% tax... I've been seriously thinking of packing up and leaving, especially with the interest rate jumps that will happen this year. my mortgage will go up to about €2,200.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

My girlfirend's friend bought her engagement ring in Appleby's it was a grade D or so they told her. She got a friend of the family who was a jewler to clean it a year later and he told her it was really a grade G. She packed a lunch box and refused to leave Appleby's untill she got her money back which she did and off she went to the states and bought a cheaper and better ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

endplate wrote:
    My girlfirend's friend bought her engagement ring in Appleby's it was a grade D or so they told her. She got a friend of the family who was a jewler to clean it a year later and he told her it was really a grade G. She packed a lunch box and refused to leave Appleby's untill she got her money back which she did and off she went to the states and bought a cheaper and better ring.

I presume the ring wasn't certified then? I am quite surprised that Appleby's would do something like that, their reputation is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

The ring was certified by Appleby's yes I was surprised by it also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

if buying diamonds in Dubai/Pakistan/South Africa where they are considerably cheaper, how do u know if its a real diamond??

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Only buy from a vendor who will provide a genuine "Certificat of Authentickity". It has to be printed - don't accept handwritten ones.....

:-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

parsi wrote:
    Only buy from a vendor who will provide a genuine "Certificat of Authentickity". It has to be printed - don't accept handwritten ones.....

:-)
    Not taking a dig at you personally here but what's the point of spending money on a better diamond if you need somebody else to tell you that it is actually better? "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet" and all that.

Without getting started in a big way here I just don't get it - the markups, the artificial scarcity, the marketing created "traditions", the ethics. Why would you?

PaschalNee wrote:
    Not taking a dig at you personally here but what's the point of spending money on a better diamond if you need somebody else to tell you that it is actually better? "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet" and all that.

Without getting started in a big way here I just don't get it - the markups, the artificial scarcity, the marketing created "traditions", the ethics. Why would you?
    Thats a question that deserves a whole new thread. Why buy any jewellery or 'designer' luxury goods. Brownie points?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I'd sell it for the 11k, go to S.A first class (cos I could afford it)

I don't have the prices to hand but I doubt it. I reckon first class to SA would be more than 11K.

EDIT: I actually checked. It would not be more than 11K it would be €9300+ so you would have some left over. Bargain actually, I though it would be more. The flexible first class would be more expensive though. Oh and you would have to get to London.
    PaschalNee wrote:

Has the point not been made several times that the valuation was for insurance purposes? It makes sense to get a value of an item in the country where it will be and potentially replaced if lost or stolen.

Actually, when I think about it, cue huge insurance scam!

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Of course the ring is going to be a lot cheaper in the same country the slaves are mining it from. People in south africa probably earn about €50 a month simply wouldnt be able to buy things if they cost the same as they do in a country where people earn €2000+ a month. It's simple economics.

I works out great for us going abroad but you cant accept high wages and whinge about high prices at teh same time, it just deosnt work that way. If you want to buy everything for half the cost it is in Ireland, go work in a country where people earn half as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The jewellery business is actually very interesting. Basically the value of the raw materials is about 10 percent of the ex-vat sales price. The manufacturing is about 30 percent. Retailer/distribution margin is the remaining 60 percent.

With branded jewellery, the ratios are even crazier.

Advertisement