Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunglasses

• 30-03-2006 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Well the summer is getting closer, and Ive started the hunt for a nice pair of sunglasses, that can be used for driving & general wear but will also look stylish.

Anyone have any good recommendations of where to look? Ive already had a quick look in BT, House of Fraser, and one or two of the Sunglasses Huts but haven't seen anything thats bowled me over just yet. Would prefer to get a decent pair because every time i buy a pair from River Island and the likes I seem to break them within a few weeks :mad:

Anyone have any ideas? Is there anywhere online worth a look as well as ebay? And has anyone seen any particularly nice styles yet this year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Well, I don't spend a fortune on sunglasses because I always lose / break them - but I bought two nice pairs in A-wear today. Same style, different shades. Used one pair today, while there was some sun..

Went on something of a spree today- my purse is crying :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

i got a nice pair in topshop last year, like ST i buy em cheap-ish cos im a bit accident prone :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I don't lose them but all the cheap ones I have had have fallen apart. I'm going to go for a pair of Fendi ones I saw in Selfridges because they looked so nice on me. It's a bit of an investment but I think it's worth it to buy one decent pair rather than loads of crappy pairs. I'm going to go for a classic shape as well as I'd rather not need to buy a new pair every season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Chanel and Gucci have some very nice sunglasses out so far this season.
    If you wait a few weeks most stores will be getting in more new stock as the summer approaches and you'll have a better choice then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

You're better off not to spend to much money on sunglasses as by the very nature of them and their size, they're extremely easy to lose and it's even easier to accidentally sit on them and break 'em!. You're better off with a pair from a high street shop (someone mentioned TopShop) instead of splashing out on a pair of Police/RayBan's, after all, if they look good - what does it matter what brand they are..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Laguna wrote:
    after all, if they look good - what does it matter what brand they are..

You might want to consider the level of 'protection' they give you, and not only the 'look'.

The majority of cheap high street store sun glasses off no protection against the suns harmful rays.

The phrase 'you get what you pay for' is extremely relevant to sungalsses. Pop into any of the Sun Glasses Hut - they are also online www.sunglasshut.com to see the latest.

As those of you who seem to break sunglasses all the time - try not being so clumsy, it's not that difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

i have a lovely chanel pair they are not real but they look it.
    Got a really nice pair of glasses in Awear last year - i was gutted when I lost them so Id say try there and Next do some nice ones too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭smurfbaby

I have to agree that you get what you pay for with sunglasses, and if they help prevent wrinkles from squinting in the sun then they're worth every penny in the long run!
    For those of you who said that you're also prone to breaking them, trust me, if you've spent €200 on them you start to take much better care with them!
    I think that Ill stick to a classic shape as well, not madly keen on all the large plastic framed ones, they are a bit fashion victimy (cant think of a better phrase...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 aoifeg

The poster who made the statement that the majority of high street store sunglasses don't protect against UV rays may not have checked their facts.

All you need to do is check that the sunglasses have a CE standard sticker on them and they will also have something on them telling you exactly the level of protection they offer. You will also get this information on more expensive sunglasses. If they have the same UV rating, you get the same protection. Many of them do - therefore forking out loads of money for something that is the same is stupid. Only pay loads of money if you love them and they're not identical to everything else around...

Obviously the CE sticker thing only applies to reputable shops so don't buy fakes as there's no guarantee that they will offer your eyes any protection whatsoever and you actually do more damage as your eye thinks it's in the shade and away from harmful rays and the iris opens up and lets in more light...

Correct, not all UV ratings are the same. As I said, the UV rating should be displayed on the sunglasses somewhere so you can compare. My point is that you shouldn't assume that more expensive is always better without checking.

By the way, I was originally referring to the post by bluetonic as bedlam's statement may well be correct, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

There are nice versace ones in the house of fraser

aoifeg wrote:
    All you need to do is check that the sunglasses have a CE standard sticker on them and they will also have something on them telling you exactly the level of protection they offer. QUOTE]

The CE sticker means they adhere to European standards. Most of them have a separate UV rating on them. I don't see how that isn't clear from everything else I've posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

:cool:
    smurfbaby wrote:
    Well the summer is getting closer, and Ive started the hunt for a nice pair of sunglasses, that can be used for driving & general wear but will also look stylish.

Anyone have any good recommendations of where to look? Ive already had a quick look in BT, House of Fraser, and one or two of the Sunglasses Huts but haven't seen anything thats bowled me over just yet. Would prefer to get a decent pair because every time i buy a pair from River Island and the likes I seem to break them within a few weeks :mad:

Anyone have any ideas? Is there anywhere online worth a look as well as ebay? And has anyone seen any particularly nice styles yet this year?

Aviators or chanel-esk bug eyes:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

cotwold wrote:
    :cool:

Aviators or chanel-esk bug eyes:cool:
    i dunno, they're a bit obvious ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Oakley Oakley Oakley, not the stupid bug eyed ones, but the chic ones like Square Wires. I got mine for € 240 in Debenhams, and I know I'll get years out of them, just like my last pair.

i dunno, they're a bit obvious ;)

how so? Would you prefer oakley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

cotwold wrote:
    how so? Would you prefer oakley?
    no something like this i think
    neoimage.jpg

Fendi_fs315r001120w400h400.png

I'm going to get these in brown when I next fly to Dublin. They're gorgeous in my opinion. Or maybe some nice Dior ones... still undecided. Way cheaper to buy at the airport just to let you all know!

no something like this i think
    neoimage.jpg

I actualy have those ones and theyre cool but not great outside of a neosupervital concert.

Yeah love those fendi ones aswell^ :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Mine are mostly from BT and similar, so I have to look after them! I have a pair of Dior mini-motards for a couple of years now, and love them to bits, they're so classic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

LadyLotts wrote:

I'm going to get these in brown when I next fly to Dublin. They're gorgeous in my opinion. Or maybe some nice Dior ones... still undecided. Way cheaper to buy at the airport just to let you all know!
    I got a georgous pair of Dior sunglasses last summer and I love them to bits. They were expensive though cause they are prescription but at least I can't leave them behind somewhere cause I can't see a thing without them:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

Would you belive Dunnes and New Look have great ranges? Monsoon do too- and they're virtually unbreakable! I sat on a pair of mine and did they break? NO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

i never buy designer sunglasses. I splurged out on a pair of chanel ones before and cost me 150 euro. a month later the screws came loose and eventually came apart and i only used them for driving!
    I bought a grand pair in river island and have them the past year.
    Its madness spending money on expensive ones, so easily scratched, sat on, lost etc etc!!

LadyLotts wrote:

I've thought that they're cheaper at the airport alright, but are there any other sunglasses shops at the airport bar Sunglasses Hut? SH dont stock Chanel, Fendi etc as far as I know

I'm not sure about Dubin as I always arrive late to all my flights from there but last time I had a little look around and saw some nice ones in a sort of jewellery shop. It was on the same side as the make up section but if you were facing the entrance to the make up shop turned left and went past a couple of shops and would see it. I'm useless at giving directions! I think it was across from a newsagents if I remember correctly?

Birmingham airport on the other hand has a huge selection. I live a bit away from the airport and have to get 2 trains to get there so always tend to get there a bit early due to paranoia and to get to shop a bit. They have quite a big sunglass section so hopefully they'll still have the same ones I saw a couple of weeks ago when I last flew out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

My glasses are hugo boss, but I got the reaction lenses in them, they're great! Adjust to the amount of sunlight so on a really bright day they get so dark they're almost black and on a dark day they stay pretty clear. I recommend them to anyone who wears prescription specs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Saw THEEEEE most gorgeous pair of pink rhinestone Chanel sunglasses in BTs a few weeks ago and I've lost sleep over then since.

eBay have a particularly good selection at the moment!

House of Fraser in Dundrum have a sale starting this week (Thursday I think) so I think I might check it out and see if there are any sunglasses bargains to be had!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I purchased a smashing pair of Lacoste sunglasses last year they were £120 i got them for £45 in the sale online :) :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement