Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain Trial Period??

Options
  • 30-03-2006 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I read somewhere that there is a domain trial period, and if you cancel your .com domain before a certain about of time, you can get a refund on your domain.

I'm setting up a website for somebody and the name isn't finalised just yet so this feature would be very handy for me.

Does anybody know any domain sellers that support this feature ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

I have never heard of that before. Seriously doubt it's true!

Anyway, considering domains are so cheap, it's not really worth worrying about!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Read it where?

Like DOLEMAN says, that's unlikely. The registry certainly doesn't do refunds, but maybe the registrar/reseller absorbs the cost.. unlikely but possible, I guess.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Highly unlikely but if its a .com domain name why not just buy the one you think you want and if you want to change it later then buy the other name - its only about 11 euros a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

AN accredited registrar can 'hold' a domain for up to a few weeks, then release it again without, technically, paying for it.

Few offer this 'functionality' to customers tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

AN accredited registrar can 'hold' a domain for up to a few weeks, then release it again without, technically, paying for it.

Few offer this 'functionality' to customers tho.
    Yeah its a technique spammers use, they reg a name then spam people and the domain is dereged in a few hours, or weeks. Doesn't cost them a penny.

I actually need to register a whole network of names, but have been told there is a slight possibility it could change.

If anybody knows a registrar that passes this feature on to the customer, please let me know!
    cheers

• Advertisement

Drop me an email / pm aphex, we could probably help you out.

http://www.registerfly.com/index.php - also allows you to grab a domain for 4 days without charge (or rather, refunds you)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Hi,
    I read somewhere that there is a domain trial period, and if you cancel your .com domain before a certain about of time, you can get a refund on your domain.
    Not exactly. It is a technique used by squatters and bottom feeders in the domain industry in conjunction with compliant registrars. Basically a com registration can be cancelled within five days of registration. (I think that this period was built into the system in case dodgy or stolen creditcard numbers were used.) The squatters point such a domain (typically one that has lapsed and been reregistered) to a Pay Per Click advertising site. They check to see if the domain gets clicks or at least enough to pay for the registration. If it doesn't the squatter cancels the registration and the registrar refunds the squatter. ICANN were supposed to eradicate this problem but being the useless tossers that they are, they don't enforce regulations though this might change.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

jmcc wrote:
    they don't enforce regulations though this might change.
    Doubtful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

blacknight wrote:
    Doubtful :)
    Yeah. It's about as likely as me being the new chairman of IEDR. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
Advertisement