Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator Fan Directon

Options
  • 30-03-2006 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

Ok basically should I notice a marked decrease in performance if I have 2 x 120mm fans pushing air onto the fins of the rad instead of pulling threw them, secondly does it matter which side of the rad I put the fans on?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Its best to have them pushing through a shroud, if they are very close to the radiator there will be a dead spot in the middle if you dont use a shroud.

If you use a Push/Pull configuration, its louder and the fans have to be the exact same CFM or it will restrict airflow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

conzymaher wrote:
    Its best to have them pushing through a shroud, if they are very close to the radiator there will be a dead spot in the middle if you dont use a shroud.

What? A shroud gives mabye a 1-2% de-crease in temps and doubles the size of the rad. And air should always be pulled through the rad if possible. Where are you getting your info from?

Edit: oh and it doesnt matter what way you pull the air through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Cheers lads, Ill be mounting the rad on the top of my case (internally - so a shroud mightn't be a good space wise) it could be pulling air threw the fins and out the "roof" so it wont be taking in air from out side the case, although I do have a nice 80mm delta fan to put just below the rad so it will be getting cool air indirectly. I guess I'll just check the temps to see what works best.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Pull. If it pushes you may have a quite spot in the middle by virtue of the area of fan thats in the middle with no blades, and that may be close to the radiator. Pull, you get air hitting all the surface of the rad from the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Whatever happend to the fans with the magnet/coil's on the outside?

Nothing to do with water cooling, but I usually offset the fan on my XP120. Helps cool the NB and get good airflow to the core, a double whammy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

a double whammy.

hehehe, havent heard that expression in ages :D

and yes pulling air is the best for rads

Woops, It should be pulled throught the rad:o

But you should use a shroud if possible, If you mount a fan directly on a rad there will be more noise and turbelance and some cooling potential is wasted

I dont know about that, I have a rad for my thermo He120.2 and with or without it there are no real temp drops or reduction in noise. Although that being said my fans are damm noisy.

Every "definitive Water cooling Guide" I have read says it best to use a shroud, even if it only spaces the Fan a few mm from the Rad......

Are you going to use the Delta fans? They are loud at 12volt but move loads of air, They sound ok at 7volt:)

I was thinking of getting water cooling but I have such a low vcore I dont need it yet, and im happy with 2.95ghz for the minute:p

That is a nice overclock and yes I will be using the deltas on my water-cooling if I ever need it againn. Got a vapochill xe so I'm going to see how that works out with my opteron 144.

• Advertisement

Very nice;)

What if it cold bugs:(

Is there a way to adjust temperature with a phase change cooler?

If it cold bugs I will go back to my storm waterblock.

Advertisement