Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blatant Inconsistency With The Mock Correctors

Options
  • 30-03-2006 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

Is it just me or was there a blatant inconsistency with the mock correctors?The highest in my honours english class was 49%!I was so angry because the work I had done did not deserve that.I look into the other classes in third year in my school and hardly anyone got below our highest.I looked through some stories and answers from their classes and alot were really below par yet they all scored higher?It was as if we were being marked as a joke.On three occaisons throughout my paper the capital letter at the start of a sentence was crossed out to be replaced by a smaller case letter, thus the corrector took marks off me?Why?Who is correcting these papers?Supposedly our English paper was corrected by college students.Were they pissed or something?I am really angry with it because I(Well, my mum) paid €80 for the exams to be corrected fairly.In my opinion, that service was not provided.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

It always happens, always will. The mock examiners are quite often students/ equally unqualified to mark papers. They get paid a pittance per paper compared to what the real examiners get come June. It's quite understandable that they're not going to spend ages on them so, and thus there'll be a lot of mistakes. Very frustrating at the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The mocks aren't an official thing, so, basically you're paying a third party company to do it. I think all you can do in a situation like this is to complain to the company (though what good that'd do, I know not) or simply bear it and for your school to go elsewhere in future.

In my science mock they forgot to add in any of the points from my biology section. My teacher recorrected it and I went up by 10%... such is life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

My Religion correcter was a complete joke. I was initially given 77 in my mocks and it was moved up to 88, a whole 44 marks!!

What I cant understand is, They have the marking scheme, so why not use the f***ing thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭StJimmy

Yeah four of my percentages got moved up, maths being moved up 6%.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It always happens, always will. The mock examiners are quite often students/ equally unqualified to mark papers. They get paid a pittance per paper compared to what the real examiners get come June. It's quite understandable that they're not going to spend ages on them so, and thus there'll be a lot of mistakes. Very frustrating at the time though.

What Aoibh said, quite often the Correctors are just bored college students looking to make a quick bit of money, come June you'll be corrected by experienced examiners/teachers who are rigorously moderated by Superintendents and who are less likely to screw you over on marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just mention it to your teacher and point out some specific things you think / know are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭f

i think are teachers corrected them. i got 69 in maths and on the report it said i got 70 mabe cos noboday got a b in the whole year in honours maths. at christmas my science test was marked at 87, then the same teacher who i also have for religion which(joke) marked it down to 84 just cos i expressed my radical views on religion test where i got 42. biggest joke ever. then she has the cheek to tell my mam at the teacher meatings that i have problems .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The mocks are always corrected badly, but generally teachers will re-correct them in class so your percentage/grade will go up. If it's any consolation, the junior cert is corrected properly, and you can appeal it if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭disney

i dont think u get the jc papers back so how can u appeal??
    ya a lot of our mocks were corrected rubbish 2 so dont worry 2 much about it!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

They keep you Junior certs exams for a few months, If you appeal, they are re corrected if you dont they burn them:p

• Advertisement

You appeal if you end up getting a grade you honestly don't think you deserved. They then get another examiner to recheck your paper, and if they were in the wrong and do change your grade (and, heh, they CAN lower it as well...) you get back the money you paid to get it checked. Think it's about 30 euro for one paper to get checked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

if it makes you feel better the person who corrected out history (or CSPE...not sure which) printed the results on her workout timetable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

Question, are you supposed to get attempt marks in maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

He..yeah ours for Geography went up by one or two percent, which changed some grades, notably one from an A to a B...something like one mark is 2/3 of a percent for that exam, and she got 3 marks more..

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

All of my mocks were corrected by my teachers.:D

BlueSpiral wrote:
    Question, are you supposed to get attempt marks in maths?
    If in a maths question there are 5 stages to get to the answer and you are right in most of them, you should get most of the marks, you will obviously lose marks for the bit you get wrong and for the wrong end result.

Example

Solve √((57+(2+3)^2)+(243^2)*(123-(12/59))

= √((57+5^2)+(59049)*(123-(.2034))
    = √((57+25)+(59049)*(122.7966)
    = √((82)+(59049)*(122.7966)
    = √(82+7251016.4334)
    = √(7251098.4334)
    = 2692.7864

Now if you made a mistake on line 3

= √((57+5^2)+(59049)*(123-(.2034))
    = √((57+25)+(59049)*(122.7966)
    = √((82)+(59049)*(122.7966) <
    multiplication / division before addition / subtraction
    = √(59131*122.7966)
    = √(7261085.7546)
    = 2694.6402

You get an ever so slightly inccorect answer, however, assuming the rest of the calculations are correct, you will get marks for those other stages. If you doin't show your work, you can't get marks.

Those numbers are ridiculously big, Victor.

As far as I can remember, there was a guide to the marking scheme at the front of our books of past papers.. (EdCo ones these were).

Our Irish teacher thought the marking scheme was a bit mad in the head, or else the correctors were way too mean and threw it away..for the girls who didn't paraphrase a really hard prose..they gave you ZERO!!!!!!!!! Like 0! Nada. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Re maths attempt marks: You're supposed to get an attempt (usually 2 or 3) for getting a stage of it right/making a passable attempt. Like the first stage of something. Maybe the formula, or some such. That's from what I've seen of the marking schemes anyway.

I got my history back today. It made me cry. Not because of the grade,but due to a comment. "My dad who never studies History could have answered this better.". I mean, we pay, what, 80 euro to get these corrected, not to get insulted. The teacher is after complaining about it, but then afterwards, i saw a comment "Same as previous" on the next page. I mean, the entire class were really pis$ed off with the corrector. He did the same to anotehr girl, another horrible comment, but she didn't say anything for some reason. He took marks off the girl beside me for explaining what dendrochronology was IN A QUESTION ABOUT ARCHEOLOGY!!!!!!!!!!! Arggggghhhhh.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

What an asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

The history paper was marked rediculasly my friend who ROCKS at history got like 56% and whenever the teachers asks him a few questions in class at most he gets two wrong

also there was some essay most people in my class practicaly wrote it from the book and they got 10 out of 20.....who ever corrected them deserves to be shot

my english teacher is practicaly picking on me since i got my results back he gave me a note on file for nothing the other day i mean absolutly nothing

also there was some essay most people in my class practicaly wrote it from the book and they got 10 out of 20.....who ever corrected them deserves to be shot
    Quoting verbatim isn't very good, it just sounds like you all copied from each other or from the book.

Advertisement