Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Shooting Friends

Options
  • 30-03-2006 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

How many out there have taken non shooting friends to the range or out for a days hunting?? i've introduced a few non shooters to our sport and have usually had a good response.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I have and try to as often as I can. The range dont seem to mind as it gets new people in but at the same time I try not to take the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

A few - though the somewhat less-than-luxurious state of our ranges tends to put them off a bit though. Some of the newer ranges are taking that kind of thing into account though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the success rates rising compared to a decade or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

Its how I got into shooting a friend brought me clay pigeon shooting, havent looked back since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 KerryShooter

I always find the best way to show people we are not gun-nut psyco's to to show them exactly what we are like, alot of people i take hunting are normally shocked to find hitting a duck and bringing it down is alot harder than they thought,they perception of hunting was sitting in one spot and making the mallard an endangered species. I took a friend to the range in the UK and they made a comment of how normal everybody seemed?? as if we are all yahoo's.

Would NSRA insurance cover be acceptable?

• Advertisement

Would NSRA insurance cover be acceptable?
    No OP, it wouldn't be - NSRA cover doesn't apply to residents in the ROI. We had a bad incident with this a few years back when a DURC member was competing in Intershoot in the Hague; all of his gear was stolen except for his rifle. Neither his domestic nor his NSRA insurance covered him; the former as he was outside the country, and the latter as he wasn't a UK resident. Always got to read that fine print :(

ps. Happily, he was able to borrow another Irish shooter's gear and shoot a PB in the match!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

yeah got one guy started another lad loves shooting clays but wouldnt get into it have yet to bring the gf she said she'll try it but wont go hunting

Then quick trip to local Countryside office for me!!

A good idea OP - you're covered in DURC and in other ranges under visitor's insurance, but it's always a good idea to have your own coverage whether with the NARGC, Countryside Alliance or whomever you can get it with; just check the fine print! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

How many out there have taken non shooting friends to the range or out for a days hunting?? i've introduced a few non shooters to our sport and have usually had a good response.
    I took a friend once who outscored me; I told him we weren't accepting new members.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 KerryShooter

yeah got one guy started another lad loves shooting clays but wouldnt get into it have yet to bring the gf she said she'll try it but wont go hunting

yeah same with my wife, she likes to shoot but will not go hunting, wont even eat anything that i've shot (which leaves more for me and the kids), she's happy to eat meat just not from a wild animal?? i've tried to explain the lack of logic in this but no joy.. Her dads a ghillie and tells me even as child she wouldn't eat any of the Ducks & Pheasant he used to bring home, mind you she's more than happy to eat the Salmon that he supplies us with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Brought a few friends out hunting/target shooting, they loved it. One now in the process of buying a shotgun....

TJ911...

Advertisement