Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who's in the wrong if...

Options
  • 30-03-2006 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Who's in the wrong, if just say you were waiting to turn right and there was an approaching car indicating to turn meaning you were free to make the manouver but they didn't mean to indicate and come straight on and crash into you as you're turning? Distance wise, you wouldn't have taken the turn if they weren't indicating.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Both parties would take some of the blame but the driver who was making the right turn would get the larger portion of blame, as he was the one who was seeking to make the more dangerous maneuver - ie crossing in front of approaching traffic.

Just to add never assume anything when making a right turn!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well indicators are only a sign of intent and as such you shouldn't base a "should I go" decision on this alone. This becomes doublely important when you consider that a lot of people on the roads don't use them properly/at all anyway! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Person turning right is 100% fubar'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Don't worry, I don't make moves determined by indicators, I prepare to and may execute but I'm always prepared for them having made a mistake! I'm sure I'd have crashed many a time if I judged everything by other peoples signals or lack of:(

So is there any legislation stating that the indicatee should have to cough up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Yep, happened just outside my house once, car came off roundabout and left indicator stayed on, other guy thought he was goin left again so pulled out and bang.

Cop said he's lucky not to get done for dangerous driving or some such if I remember correctly.

Right turner is wrong turner I'm afraid. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As others have said, indicators are only a notice of intent and they don't confer right-of-way (for either party). You will fail your driving test for making decisions based on other people's indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

aren't drivers in such a position supposed to cross over end to end?
    I.e. bonnect of one car aligns/passes boot of opposing car to make the turn?

well I didn't mention the direction the oncoming car was indicating to avoid confusion etc, just the fact they are indicating another way, the place I was referring to is just at the top of my road, I turn into minor road, in middle lane, traffic approaching from opposite direction who are also going to the same road have to give way to me, so I can see them indicating to the same direction as me and when there is a gap, I can go. Just saying if somebody was indicating to turn left (my right) but didn't actually, and if some day I misjudged and went when I saw they were going left and they didn't, would I be TOTALLY at blame legally.

Does anyone else think that they should put some legal penalty on persons indicating incorrectly?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

cormie wrote:
    well I didn't mention the direction the oncoming car was indicating to avoid confusion etc, just the fact they are indicating another way, the place I was referring to is just at the top of my road, I turn into minor road, in middle lane, traffic approaching from opposite direction who are also going to the same road have to give way to me, so I can see them indicating to the same direction as me and when there is a gap, I can go. Just saying if somebody was indicating to turn left (my right) but didn't actually, and if some day I misjudged and went when I saw they were going left and they didn't, would I be TOTALLY at blame legally.

Does anyone else think that they should put some legal penalty on persons indicating incorrectly?

In my opinion you would be in the wrong and mentioned above - making the more dangerous move.

And if you don't have witnesses it could be VERY difficult to prove that the other guy had his indicator on.

A simple rule I use is if the indicator is on it mean's it's working.
    Assume nothing more;)

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

You'd be totally in the wrong cormie, mistaken indicator or not. Traffic turning right must always give way to traffic approaching in the opposite direction whether they're going straight or turning left.
    From the ROTR:
    When turning right, you must yield to traffic coming straight through from the opposite direction.

Where two vehicles coming from opposite directions are turning into the same road, the vehicle turning right should give way to the vehicle turning left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

One of the first things my driving instructor taught me was never believe anyone else's indicator.

What puzzles me is this - someone mentioned about giving way to traffic on the right, even if it's turning left. Surely the same rule applies to the other car turning right?

I think the answer maybe that both cars are supposed to hook around each other on the junction box before ensuring the path is clear to fully make the turn. However, given the general muppettedness of Irish drivers, I always make doubly sure that the opposite car is about to make the same hook-around procedure before assuming that he/she knows the rules of the road.

Don't worry folks, I wont be making any dangerous moves;) Just if I ever find myself making a mistake. Kind of the same thing but you know what I mean:)

I started a thread about giving way before, it went on for a while and there was no solution found to it. It was a very extreme situation.

In the case I mentioned above, the traffic turning into the same road as me have to give way to me. There is a yield sign for them you see.

Another thing on this is:
    from the ROTR "you must give way to somebody who has started a turn manoever" what defines the distance between them not giving me way and me blatantly disregarding them and making the turn? Again, just using "me" as an example character!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

cormie wrote:
    Another thing on this is:
    from the ROTR "you must give way to somebody who has started a turn manoever" what defines the distance between them not giving me way and me blatantly disregarding them and making the turn? Again, just using "me" as an example character!
    The mood of the Garda when he/she arrives at the scene.:D

Advertisement