Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most over rated footballers ever

• 30-03-2006 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

In my opinion I have to say David Platt, I mean he scored an ok goal for England against Belgium I think it was in Italia '90 and next thing he's playing in Serie A! How could they not tell he was only an average player.

Another player and i might get slated here is Paul Gascoyne, he was way overratted, the english media went crazy for him, he had some nice touches every couple of games but just was not a reliable or consistent player.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

In my opinion I have to say David Platt, I mean he scored an ok goal for England against Belgium I think it was in Italia '90 and next thing he's playing in Serie A! How could they not tell he was only an average player.

Another player and i might get slated here is Paul Gascoyne, he was way overratted, the english media went crazy for him, he had some nice touches every couple of games but just was not a reliable or consistent player.

i agree with you about platt but gazza imo was class,in italia 90 he shone,if injuries and the wife beating had not got in the way he would have been one of the best players in the world,shame really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Gazza was a brilliant player...you should rightly get slated for that comment ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Roberto Carlos. He's still living off a free-kick he scored against England in a friendly nearly a decade ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

that free kick was against france.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Actually he scored another 2 in that tournament (he started it on the bench) and went on to score 27 international goals, leaving him a comparable strike rate to Michael Owen and Alan Shearer, despite being a midfielder.

Platt was a great player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead will probably get lynched for this but I could never understand the fuss and the platitudes that went Brian McClairs way. Ok he was the first striker since best to notch up 20 goals in a season but lets be honest United were pretty dodgy during those 20 odd years. He missed more than he scored and I was never confident when he was one on one with the keeper.
    Average player who outstayed his welcome in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭marky4

the most overated player is frank lampard, he isnt as good as every1 says he is, and the most under rated player is steve finnan. he is class,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Deco - don't get the fuss at all.

hate the guy so much.

dives more then drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I dunno bout on a global scene but for Villa i'd say Bosco Balaban. What an incredible waste of money.

Stan Collymore is another player who was hearalded but couldn't really do the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Peter Crouch. eto'o. Ronaldinho;) .

• Advertisement

marky4 wrote:
    the most overated player is frank lampard, he isnt as good as every1 says he is, and the most under rated player is steve finnan. he is class,

Disagree. He definitly walk into all the premiership teams, and alot of the european ones aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i think lampard is a very good player, but not as good as the english press and chelsea fans seem to believe. He is not a great tackler, his passing is not great(repeat, not great - not saying it is poor), he can't dribble. He does have a great knack of scoring though. I would take him at United now (as in right now - scholes was a better player) but he needs the formation to be set around him. A traditional 442 does not work well with him because his defensive ability is limited.

Conclusion: I do think he is over-rated, but no where close to being one of the most over rated players around - he is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

lampard
    droghba
    scholes
    the english national team
    darth vader
    emile heskey
    john hartson
    pires
    chris kirkland
    orlando bloom
    fernando torres
    victor valdes
    christiano ronaldo

...to name a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

What teams did Pires and Cristiano Ronaldo play for ?

I thought you'd find them mostly at the Swimming Pool, on the High Board

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Must be the same team as robbie Savage so. the man spends so much time on the deck it's silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Gattuso at the moment.
    Steve McManaman of all time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Not even Milan Fans rate Gattauso as a player.
    He's just a terrier, and that's why we love him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Most of the current Manchester team. Get a few half decent results in a terrible premiership against woeful opposition and suddenly Ronaldo and Ferdinand are considered football players rather than novelty tricksters(Ronaldo) and Bin men(Ferdinand). I mean their performances in Europe were absolutely disgraceful and that's how Man United players should be rated, by their performances in Europe.

Rio Ferdinand too. He has the technical skill to be one of the greats but lacks the heart. Unlike John Terry or Jamie Carragher, he rarely goes in where it hurts, as a United mate of mine said in a drunken haze of lucidity, "that lazy Ferdinand ****er hates to get himself dirty."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Djibril Cissé takes the biscuit for me....the man is absolutely terrible!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

you guys remember the days of buying Match and Shoot magazine when we were younger????

seemed we had a new superstar every few weeks.....

danny cadamateri anyone? maybe a where are they now thread is needed :rolleyes:

just found this

http://www.toffeeweb.com/players/past/Cadamarteri.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Gattuso at the moment

he's probably the main reason milan ever get the ball back whenver they lose it. his job is thankless and not glamourous but he's one of the most important players in the world right now and i'd have him in liverpools team any day of the week

Steve_o wrote:

In fairness though, I don't think anyone rates him so there's no way he can be overated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Patrick Vieira, always a choker in the big games. The main reason why Arsenal never advanced further in Europe the last few seasons. Fabregas, now that chap has the temperament.

Patrick Vieira, always a choker in the big games. The main reason why Arsenal never advanced further in Europe the last few seasons. Fabregas, now that chap has the temperament.

:rolleyes:

Up until this year it was henry who always choked in the big games. I am sure it was all viera's fault though.

Oh, and lucky Viera never had to play in any big games when he won those premiership titles with Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

In fairness though, I don't think anyone rates him so there's no way he can be overated.

He was liverpool's big target for a good 2 or 3 seasons till he was allowed move.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Up until this year it was henry who always choked in the big games. I am sure it was all viera's fault though.
    Yeah, all those goals against Chelsea, United, Liverpool, Juventus, Bayern, Valencia, Roma, Inter et al in previous seasons... big style choker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Steve_o wrote:

but everyone agrees with that, so he can hardly be called over-rated.
    astrofool wrote:
    He was liverpool's big target for a good 2 or 3 seasons till he was allowed move.

That still doesnt mean anyone rates him outside of Anfield. He's not rated by a lot of people so cant be said to be over-rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Most overrated player? St. Packie.

Saved one peno out of five against romania. Let nine out of nine in in the Scottish Cup final shoot-out amonth beforehand. What a hero. :rolleyes:

As was pointed out, Platt's goalscoring rate at international level was incredible. He was also the maindriving force in nearly winning the English league for a very mediocre Aston Villa. Ffs, they had Ian Ormondroyd in their side. He'd make Crouch look like Maradona-in more ways than one. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Of the current players I'd mention
    Francesco Totti,who I believe is the most highly paid footballer in the world .
    A very average player who never delivers on the big stage.
    Rio Ferdinand ,earns £120k a week,not even worth £120 to be honest.
    Del Piero ,another waste of space the guy hasnt done a thing in nearly a decade.
    Raul Gonzalez,'King of Spain' ,well past it as a poacher and was never as good as he likes to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

David James ................. how come no-one has mentioned him? He was Englands number 1 ffs! How in gods name did he ever manage that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Didn't Platt actually get on reasonably successfully in Italy too? Particularly at Bari? I can't believe he has even been mentioned.

I'd concur with Totti. Can't stand the guy. What has he ever achieved to allow such arrogance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

David James ................. how come no-one has mentioned him? He was Englands number 1 ffs! How in gods name did he ever manage that?

Sensational shot-stopper on his day, but the dracula nickname didn't come from nowhere...

I'm gonna have a think about this before I get back to yiz with my nomination.

Pighead wrote:
    Pighead will probably get lynched for this but I could never understand the fuss and the platitudes that went Brian McClairs way. Ok he was the first striker since best to notch up 20 goals in a season but lets be honest United were pretty dodgy during those 20 odd years. He missed more than he scored and I was never confident when he was one on one with the keeper.

totally disagree with you on that,mcclair was a great buy,a consistant player who would bag you 15-20 goals a season,and as for out staying his welcome,he still coaches at old trafford!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Wes Hoolihan, every shels fan cry a river when you mention him, Pat mccourt was far better.

on a bigger stage Man Utds Ronaldo, but he's been found out so i guess that doesn't count. Aidan McGeady was being touted as the new Rivaldo, Yeah Sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Zebra3 wrote:
    Most overrated player? St. Packie.

Saved one peno out of five against romania. Let nine out of nine in in the Scottish Cup final shoot-out amonth beforehand. What a hero. :rolleyes:

Not really sure a Keeper should be judged on Penos' to be honest. They're a bit of a lottery in all reality, and it's more a case of the penalty taker getting it wrong than a keeper getting it right.

Bonner was a good keeper, and was getting a bit long in the tooth by the time Italia 90 was about - definetly past his best in USA 94. Still a good keeper in his day though.

If you want an over-rated keeper, David James definetly tops the bill on that one.

Blackjack wrote:
    Not really sure a Keeper should be judged on Penos' to be honest. They're a bit of a lottery in all reality, and it's more a case of the penalty taker getting it wrong than a keeper getting it right.

Bonner was a good keeper, and was getting a bit long in the tooth by the time Italia 90 was about - definetly past his best in USA 94. Still a good keeper in his day though.

If you want an over-rated keeper, David James definetly tops the bill on that one.

david james has never been over rated,he`s just crap,he was just the pick of a bad bunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Pighead wrote:

Was my favourite Man United player from the second he joined the club. In his first season he scored 24 goals for the club, 126 in all, and made as many goals as he scored. He was one of the most loyal players every to pull on the united shirt and I compare him to Denis Irwin for loyalty and effectiveness. Spat an awful lot though. Pighead has the right to choose whatever players he wants but this choice disappoints me. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Of the current players I'd mention
    Francesco Totti,who I believe is the most highly paid footballer in the world .
    A very average player who never delivers on the big stage.
    Rio Ferdinand ,earns £120k a week,not even worth £120 to be honest.
    Del Piero ,another waste of space the guy hasnt done a thing in nearly a decade.
    Raul Gonzalez,'King of Spain' ,well past it as a poacher and was never as good as he likes to think.

Here's a link to Rauls honours(bottom of the page):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%C3%BAl_Gonz%C3%A1lez_Blanco

He's scored the most goals in the history of the champions league and is also the top scorer for the spanish national team. Pretty crap I guess...

Del Piero was easily one of the best players in the world before he picked up a very serious knee injury. He hasn't been the same since.

I'd agree with Totti. He's talented but definitely over hyped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

blu_sonic wrote:
    Wes Hoolihan, every shels fan cry a river when you mention him, Pat mccourt was far better

Yeah, sure he was! Weso = God.

• Advertisement

county wrote:
    david james has never been over rated,he`s just crap,he was just the pick of a bad bunch

that's probably a fairer assessment, although it is hard to comprehend that England had no-one better than him that they could select, pre-Robinson.

Blackjack wrote:
    that's probably a fairer assessment, although it is hard to comprehend that England had no-one better than him that they could select, pre-Robinson.

it is hard to comprehend,but its true

David Seamen was pre Robbo

blu_sonic wrote:
    David Seamen was pre Robbo

now,seamen was decent apart from the odd fcuk up and doing they think its all over:rolleyes: ;)

A lot less fúck ups than James though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

David Platt (the mananger) destoryed Forest :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Rio Ferdinand and Frank Lampard. They love them in england and realistically they're not great. Lampard never see's his own half, and as said earlier cant dribble and is passing isn't as accurate as other players. he has a good shot, but probably has the highest shot rate in the league and lowest conversion rate.

Rio is never worth 120k a week and defo not worth what united paid for him. seems to wander around the pitch at time, sometimes looks a bit clueless, imho.

Also any player that comes from Cork and plays in midfield, ie Miller, Healy, coz they're heralded as the next Roy Keane. Unfortunately Liam miller bought the hype and runied a potentially successful career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Won't be popular but....
    Roy Keane (according to folklore single-handedly dragged Ireland to a World Cup and ManU to a European Cup final yet 'somehow' both sides still managed to do what was required without his services once they were there!)

You can throw in Alan Shearer and Frank Lampard too while you're at it.

Shearer is a prooven goalscorer. Keane was one of the worlds best players for many years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

do what was required? is this world cup 2002 you're talking about?
    we lost to a poor spain team that ended the game with 10 men, unknown to our players on the pitch because our manager didnt think they needed to know. the amount of chances we had in that game, and the amount of penalties we missed.

think about it; we beat spain we would have gone on to play S.Korea - who we could have beaten considering spain lost to them on penalties. The we would have faced Germany in the Semis and we had already drawn with them. i feel we could have taken them and lost to brazil. Doing the business would have been losing to brazil in the final. we should be very bitter we didnt do better. We did far from what was required and I don't believe there is any football fan who could honestly say they wounldnt have wanted Keane in that game against Spain.

There is no way Keane was over rated - as a liverpool fan i will gladly say he was one of the best midfielders ever to play in the premier league and to wear an ireland shirt and i would have had him in the liverpool team without question.

Also he was the one player who thinks "why cant we win the world cup?""why should we settle for facilities/practices that arent good enough". and he helped take the typical irish mentality - "glad to be participating in the WC" away. i would love to see him as our manager after stan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement