Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most over rated footballers ever

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Zebra3 wrote:
    Most overrated player? St. Packie.

Saved one peno out of five against romania. Let nine out of nine in in the Scottish Cup final shoot-out amonth beforehand. What a hero. :rolleyes:

:D

Hurrah !!!! At last someone who agrees witrh me. Bonner was muck ! One peno save and everyone thinks hes great, the pen had no pace on it at all, Timofte tapped it ! Remember Poland away, 3-1 up and crusing and then Palm it out Packie f**ks up twice and we draw, points that cost us qualifying in the end. Against Holland in USA '94 he had the clanger he was always capable of. Oh and in Italia '90 he should have punched Donadonis shot into row Z instead of palming it out to Toto.

As for he TV presenting abilities...... LEARN HOW TO SAY JUVENTUS you TWAT !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Of the current players I'd mention
    Francesco Totti,who I believe is the most highly paid footballer in the world .
    A very average player who never delivers on the big stage.
    Del Piero ,another waste of space the guy hasnt done a thing in nearly a decade.
    Raul Gonzalez,'King of Spain' ,well past it as a poacher and was never as good as he likes to think.

I think we need to look at what we are saying here. Its a discussion of over rated players not players you hate or have had an off season or two.

Totti is a class act however I do agree in the big games he bottles it big time. His technique and skill though you cannot question.

Del Piero was one of the best players europe produced in the past 10 years. When he came onto the scene the man was magical. Injury has robbed him of ever becoming as good as he could have been but still he is a great player today.

Raul. Ok these days living off a reputation and past glories but check his scoring record. Hardly figures of an over rated player.

So when were talking about over rated playes don't bring players in who are off form at the moment lets look at their career as a whole before making ridiculous posts.

As for the Roy Keane comment please the man was a one man show for Ireland and United wouldn't have won half the trophies was it not for him. He was pure class. Ireland managed to do it in the cup without him? So getting knocked out in the second round is doing well is it? Also united were outplayed in the CL final apart from the final 10mins where Bayern lost it.

If you don't like a player fine but don't let that get in your way of sound judgement. Over rated players in my opinion are: Rio Ferdinand, David Beckham, Roberto Carlos and Mauro Camoranesi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

iregk wrote:
    As for the Roy Keane comment please the man was a one man show for Ireland. Ireland managed to do it in the cup without him? So getting knocked out in the second round is doing well is it?

I think last16 is a very good achievement considering what we've got (certainly we never achieved anything better WITH Roy). Same as everyone I'd like to believe we can win every tournament we enter but unfortunately I live in the real world where Ireland aren't contenders at that level. Out of interest what exactly do you expect from the Irish international team at the begining of a given campaign?

Oh and as for him being a one-man show it's interesting to note we qualified for 2 finals when he was involved but failed to qualify in 5! So either Roy Keanes one man show wasn't *that* great OR we've not had a last8 or better worthy team for decades now. Which is it, cos you can't have it both ways?

Don't get me wrong. He's a top player, just not imho this mythical god-like figure singlehandedly dragging teams to the promised land as some would have you believe. Hense he's 'over rated'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Regardless of those points he's still world class.

but to reply to the points you've made.
    pigman II wrote:
    Oh and as for him being a one-man show it's interesting to note we qualified for 2 finals when he was involved but failed to qualify in 5! So either Roy Keanes one man show wasn't *that* great OR we've not had a last8 or better worthy team for decades now. Which is it, cos you can't have it both ways?

no 1 man makes a team, the players around him couldn't cut the mustard he wasn't playing teams on his own.
    Pigman II wrote:
    Don't get me wrong. He's a top player, just not imho this mythical god-like figure singlehandedly dragging teams to the promised land as some would have you believe. Hense he's 'over rated'.

nobody ever said he was a god-like figure and if thats how you think we all rated him then yeah he is underrated but like you said in the real world where we rated him by real standards he was world class.

by your rational Georgie Best was over rated he couldn't win the world cup or anything pah he must have been an average player then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ask any United fan, any united player, or anybody who follows United.
    Keane dragged United to the CL final against Juve. Who was he playing against? Zidane.

Overrated my arse, he was underrated

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

My top overated players, as mentioned already, would be:
    Rio Ferdinand
    IMO, a disgrace. He's got the talent, but seriously lacking the heart. Yet he's still heralded in England as their greatest defender. Hasn't produced it since the doping incident.

Roberto Carlos
    As someone said, still living off a fluke free kick in a Confederations Cup game against France. He's a defender who can't defend.

Francesco Totti
    I know iregk has disagreed with this above, but IMO he's overrated. I don't watch much Italian football, so I don't know what he's like domestically. However he is always billed as one of the great players. I have seen him a fair few times in Europe for Roma and for Italy, and he has rarely, if ever, done the biz. If a player is supposedly one of the best attackers in the country, yet can't do it at the European or international stage, then he's overrated.

blu_sonic wrote:
    no 1 man makes a team, the players around him couldn't cut the mustard he wasn't playing teams on his own.
    Thats a great situation for Roy then isn't it? If we make it then it's all down to him and his one-man-show and if we don't then it's the fault of everyone else for not cutting the mustard! Hey wait a minute, this is all starting to sound familiar?
    nobody ever said he was a god-like figure and if thats how you think we all rated him then yeah he is underrated but like you said in the real world where we rated him by real standards he was world class.
    God-like is just turn of phrase. C'mon we already have people calling him a one-man show (or should that be a one man no-show?) here for Ireland so clearly people like exagerating when it comes to him.
    by your rational Georgie Best was over rated he couldn't win the world cup or anything pah he must have been an average player then
    That makes absolutely no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Eric Cantona...

Pigman II wrote:
    Thats a great situation for Roy then isn't it? If we make it then it's all down to him and his one-man-show and if we don't then it's the fault of everyone else for not cutting the mustard! Hey wait a minute, this is all starting to sound familiar?

God-like is just turn of phrase. C'mon we already have people calling him a one-man show (or should that be a one man no-show?) here for Ireland so clearly people like exagerating when it comes to him.

That makes absolutely no sense.
    my point is best only did it on the club stage he was surrounded by rubbish at N Ireland so he could have been the "one-man show" that dragged his nation to the world cup etc.
    pigman II wrote:

But 1 man can't make a team, it's just a case of maths 11 v 1 just doesn't work he wasn't the one man show.

as much as i dislike man u he captained them through one of their most sucessful eras, it says a lot for him, he was a world class player. IMO he didn't get the praise he deserved ie. player of the year awards with fifa etc.

Cantona was amaing too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Matt Le Tissier, sure he was just a fat mess. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Pigman II wrote:
    I think last16 is a very good achievement considering what we've got (certainly we never achieved anything better WITH Roy).

thats the attitude i am talking about, "oh, we'll be happy if we make it out of the group". it's terrible attitude and is terribly irish, its defeatist and its why Keane got thrown out at saipan, coz he had ambition and wasnt afraid to be outspoken on it.

do me a favour and look at the knock out rounds on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Cup_2002

and tell me we cant beat all those team who we could have got and realistically we should have made it to the semis maybe even the final.

How could we achieve better with Roy, when did he have an opportunity - he had 2 world cups and 0 european championships; with his first world cup he was kept out of the squad by townsend and houghton... the second one, well we all know what happened there.

so he never got a true tournament so you cant make that statement. no team in the world would have sent home there best player except us, its typically irish and because of attitudes like yours.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Matt Le Tissier, sure he was just a fat mess. :rolleyes:

a bit like frank lampard - over weight, doesnt add anything to general team play, but will score an absolute cracker every now and again.

Call_me_al wrote:
    doesnt add anything to general team play

Just 208 goals... and 49 out of 50 penalties. Pretty crap.

well i would mean middle of the park as general play, rather than attacking or defending. never said he was crap. read the post next time.

I'd consider scoring goals "general team play". Not even counting the number of assists from corners and free-kicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Some people need their heads examined.

Alan Shearer? Paul Gascoigne? When did "over rated" become "just don't like"?

Mark Viduka is over rated IMO, blessed with fantastic skills but rarely applies himself for any significant period. Never understood why Gareth Southgate and Ugo Ehigou were so highly thought of either. Come to think of, most of the Boro team (and their manager) fit the bill...:D (only kidding)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

el rabitos wrote:
    scholes

You're havin a laugh. Scholes, while not in form the last couple of seasons has been as good a midfielder as there's been in years. Who was it that said he'd love to have 11 Paul Scholes in his team?

Harry Kewell, As a youngster he was gearing up to be a great but then seem to get disintrested, pity really he was a great talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Cisse at Liverpool. If he spent as much time working on things like his first touch and scoring goals as he does on his hair, he would be a world beater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Pigman II wrote:
    I think last16 is a very good achievement considering what we've got

I despise this atitude.

As they say in Stew. "Typically Irish"

anyway my most overated players are:

All time
    Del Piero
    Ally McCoist

Current
    John Terry (unpopular choice i know)
    Robinho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

juninho. that bloke who played at boro about 5 times.
    supposed to be biologically moulded to play football, but couldnt find his own arse or a pass with both hands and a flashlight.

ashley cole. oh, i fell over again. can run, can cross sometimes and is a good tackler when he isnt getting people sent off, but there are better left backs in the world. no idea why people think he is gods gift to the full back position.

ibrahimovich. nice touches. lanky. now got his head shaved. plays for sweden and juve. why?

robert lauren. just no. you stupid lazy bas7ard! great free kick. but apparently cant run.

nicky butt. had talent. doesnt anymore. never lived up to the hype of the other utd kids.

hendry, centre back at villa. i just cant see what everyone else does.

des walker. the fastest man on erth, but could kick with either feet.

kevin philips. again, just no.

Call_me_al wrote:
    thats the attitude i am talking about, "oh, we'll be happy if we make it out of the group". it's terrible attitude and is terribly irish, its defeatist and its why Keane got thrown out at saipan, coz he had ambition and wasnt afraid to be outspoken on it.

And It's people like you who can't see a true achievement for what it is. I'm happy we qualified for the finals. Even happier that we made it the the last 16 and *would* have been happier still if we'd made it to the QF, SEMIS and Final! We didn't and I saw no evidence that we could have done significantly better with Roy in those finals than we did without him.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to win (I'd expect nothing else) but throwning your toys out of the pram because everyone isn't living up to your exhaulted expectations isn't much of a sign of a team player now is it?

Oh btw Keane walked before he was thrown.

do me a favour and look at the knock out rounds on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Cup_2002

and tell me we cant beat all those team who we could have got and realistically we should have made it to the semis maybe even the final.
    Why just the semis or the final? Why now win the whole thing whilst were at it? You have a very defeatist attitude! You must be Irish?

It's great to know we 'should' have beaten S.Korea (the team that actually did beat Spain - something which we couldn't do) and then Germany (the team that we did actually play and only draw with). Just because it was 'only' South Korea and Germany instead of Brazil and whoever you care to mention doesn't mean anything wrt our supposed chances. But of course if the boy-Roy had been there it'd have been SOOOO much different, right?
    How could we achieve better with Roy, when did he have an opportunity - he had 2 world cups and 0 european championships; with his first world cup he was kept out of the squad by townsend and houghton... the second one, well we all know what happened there.
    What are you talking about? Roy started every game at WC94! I'm sure even your old friend wikipedia will tell you that.
    so he never got a true tournament so you cant make that statement.
    Watch me, I just did. you just got your facts wrong mate.
    no team in the world would have sent home there best player except us, its typically irish and because of attitudes like yours.

It's easy to send a player home when they've already walked out on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Jaoquin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Ardent wrote:
    Jaoquin

who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Dalian Atkinson. Doesn't really fit into this catagory but I just wanted to throw his name out there. And Tony Daly.

ibrahimovich. nice touches. lanky. now got his head shaved. plays for sweden and juve. why?

Doubt you've seen much of him so.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yNCZIhuxEOs

Plenty more vids of him on youtube.

Lee Trundle (his name is thrown around on here like Pelé or something)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

county wrote:
    who?

However you spell his name. Real Betis's right winger.

It's a close call between him and Drogba. Joaquin edges it though - people rave about him yet they've never seen him play.

blu_sonic wrote:
    Lee Trundle (his name is thrown around on here like Pelé or something)

After seeing the piece of skill he did on Soccer AM last week, this guy is vastly under-rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    After seeing the piece of skill he did on Soccer AM last week, this guy is vastly under-rated.

Under-rated for that division, think he would be found out at a higher levels....also complete lack of ambition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Liam Ridgewell- to call this chap a footballer - overrated even at that.
    Gary Breen- how many clubs has he had?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I'm a ManU fan and it bothers me as to why there was so much trouble over him not playing as much the last few games. He is not a world class striker IMO.
    He was never technically gifted. He can't pass, or dribble, has a HORRIBLE shot, and isn't the best headerer of the ball. The only attribute he has is his ability to find open goals and one on ones.
    I find it really annoying when he scores or sets up goals, like when he got an assist for slicing that shot and finding ronaldo. Thats the way he's been striking the ball since he came back from that long lay off and people still say he's one of the est finishers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Pigman II wrote:

What are you talking about? Roy started every game at WC94! I'm sure even your old friend wikipedia will tell you that.

QUOTE]

.....and he was Irelands player of the tournament.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Call_me_al wrote:
    a bit like frank lampard - over weight, doesnt add anything to general team play, but will score an absolute cracker every now and again.

Matt was a the most naturally gifted player to ever play in England!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I'm a ManU fan and it bothers me as to why there was so much trouble over him not playing as much the last few games. He is not a world class striker IMO.
    He was never technically gifted. He can't pass, or dribble, has a HORRIBLE shot, and isn't the best headerer of the ball. The only attribute he has is his ability to find open goals and one on ones.
    I find it really annoying when he scores or sets up goals, like when he got an assist for slicing that shot and finding ronaldo. Thats the way he's been striking the ball since he came back from that long lay off and people still say he's one of the est finishers....

I'm speechless.:eek: ,so I'll just laugh instead.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Glen Crowe, god i remember people clammering for him to be called up to the national side. Funny when morons think they know something,.

Del Piero - An infuriating player, I know he is good, his record proves it, but i can honestly say i have never seen him play a good match.

Juan Sebastian Veron - I know he wasn't suited to the english game and that he's playing very well now but when utd signed him i nearly cacked my pants, i thought it was the greatest signing ever. Pity.

Some more - Kleberson, Tony Adams, Gheorgie Hagi, Chris Sutton, John Hartson, Hideotoshi Nakata

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Got a clip?

Glen Crowe, god i remember people clammering for him to be called up to the national side. Funny when morons think they know something,.

Del Piero - An infuriating player, I know he is good, his record proves it, but i can honestly say i have never seen him play a good match.

Juan Sebastian Veron - I know he wasn't suited to the english game and that he's playing very well now but when utd signed him i nearly cacked my pants, i thought it was the greatest signing ever. Pity.

Some more - Kleberson, Tony Adams, Gheorgie Hagi, Chris Sutton, John Hartson, Hideotoshi Nakata

Hagi, how on earth could Gheorgie Hagi be over rated? the nam was a genius!

Have to say I agree with teh Eric Cantona post.

Yes I know to United fans he is a legend and how dare I but hear me out.

He played at a time when foreign players were only coming into the English game and teams weren't used to playing against this type of player. A striker that plays in the hole! As a result nobody was near him when he got the ball and he had plenty of time to do his bits. With this he shone and was class in the prem.

Internation defenders we well used to this as were the Champions League defenders. To them he was old stock and they knew exactly how to play him. In Europe he never got a sniff and at International level (when he got a game) he was dire.

With that I think he was hugely over rated. Maybe thats why he retired. Did he see that more and more foreign defenders were coming into the prem and decied that his game was up? No idea just speculating.

• Advertisement

Are you for real? Georgie Hagi was pure magic! Go back to the Arsenal -v- Galatasari uefa or cup winners cup final can't remember which and look at him. Over 30 on the decline with no pace left and he destroyed Arsenal. He was class.

Seaneh wrote:
    Got a clip?

I've been looking desperately for it for ages. I think I have the whole show, so it might just be a matter of going through it minute-by-minute and looking for it. I'll post it up as soon as I find it.

I do think that Roy keane was a great player, probably the best midfeilder in the premiership at the time, but people in ireland and England talked about him being the best players in the world around the time united won the trebble, and that's just not true, so in that sense he was a bit over rated, there were players streets ahead of him playing at the time.
    Albertini and boban at milan, zidane at Juve, Nedved at Lazio, Redondo at Real!
    In my opinion the greatest Midfeilder of the last ten years is without boutb Fernando Redondo, the man was amazing, a tough tackeling defensive midfeilder with a passing range no one could match and the ball control of the best wingers of the time, he had everything, watch any argentina games from WC94 and you will see what I mean, he was everywhere! and he stayed that way untill he left real and had that horrible injury at milan which robbed him of the last 5 years of a great caraer.
    Keane was a good player, in english terms he was a legend, but on a general scale he was never the best midfeilder in the world and certainyl not the best player in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Nunu wrote:
    I'm speechless.:eek: ,so I'll just laugh instead.:D
    Thats the usuall reaction i get from one of my ruud rants. Not a popular opinion I know and I'm sure he'll probably start and score to add to my woes. Well no, i do celebrate when he scores but a part of me dies along with that celebration.

Gheorgie Hagi was over rated. He got a poxy goal in the world cup and that was it. He played until he was ancient and never really did anything at club level. Romania had a good world cup, as did he but to say he was one of the world's greatest players is a joke. By that rationale Lechkov from Bulgaria must be the most under rated player of all time.

One good tournament and a huge ego does not make a great player.

What about hiresto stoichov (i cant spell his name) was bulgarian WC 1994

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

blu_sonic wrote:

AS over-rated? that guy was a genius!!!

Then so was Hagi cuz the were very similar though i was 11 and might be getting it wrong.

blu_sonic wrote:

Top scorer in that World Cup I seem to remember... his goals got Bulgaria to the semi final.

Over-rated? Never.

Hagi wasn't as good but certainly wasn't over-rated. 125 caps is not to be sniffed at.

Hristo Stoichkov is one of the greatest players to ever tie up his boots, I cant belive that your trying to compare him to Hagi. Ask any Barcelona fans who they think is better. 125 caps, so what? Staunton had over 100 for Ireland, that doesn't mean he was a great player.

If Hagi was so good why did he only play 21 times for Barcelona over 2 seasons. Then 5 years at Galatasaray.

Hristo Stoichkov is one of the greatest players to ever tie up his boots, I cant belive that your trying to compare him to Hagi. Ask any Barcelona fans who they think is better. 125 caps, so what? Staunton had over 100 for Ireland, that doesn't mean he was a great player.

If Hagi was so good why did he only play 21 times for Barcelona over 2 seasons. Then 5 years at Galatasaray.

Was that meant for me? I said Stoichkov was better because I think he genuinely was. Two of the posts before me mentioned Stoichkov and Hagi, thats why I mentioned both in my post...

I can't see why you are trying to attack me when I'm making pretty much the same point as you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement