Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long do your tyres last?

Options
  • 30-03-2006 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭

Following on from this thread; how long do people get out of a set of tyres?

I used to get about about 25k from a Mondeo on cheapish Bridgestones. I dumped Bridgestones after getting a set of duds that made brutal road noise and got "Lassa" tyres. They lasted 30k.

The worst was 18k on bloody expensive Michelins which werent any noticable improvement over the "Lassa" ones, but this is probably because the car wasn't taking advantage of the extra grip.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

michelin are usually very hard wearing although they changed the compound in the last two years on their energys to x1s which arent as good.
    continental wear very quickly but stick like glue. bridgestone ive noticed have very poor traction in the wet and are dangerous at least on a yaris anyway.
    i always thought michelin were the best compromise between fuel economy gains (less rolling resistance), grip , tire noise, and wear but maybe this has changed?
    incidentally i get around 20000 on fronts on a 1.4 golf mkiv on michelins but in fairness this involves high speed cross country driving and fast cornering. mum got 50000 on fronts on the same car and same tires, just shows u how much of a difference driving makes:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

We got around 25K I reckon out of the Michelins that came standard on a Hyundai Sonata. Now onto Pirelli P6's, and a Champero tyre after hitting a pothole in Killarney, the only tyre in Kerry to fit the wheel was a Champero. That was in the really, really heavy rain around Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Front axle:
    28k miles out of the original Michelins
    40k out of a pair of Champiro GTs
    32k out of a pair of Tigars (however I replaced these a bit earlier than they really needed to be as one died on a pothole and it was as handy to change both
    Currently fitted with Champiro GTs

Rear axle:
    45k out of the original Michelins
    40k out a pair of Pirellis
    Currently fitted with Semperits.

Tyres are 205/55 R16V on a Laguna.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

235/45-17 on front - Yokohamas lasted 6000 miles.
    255/40-17 on rear - toyo proxes lasted 6000 miles.

On Nankang NS1 now... way better. so far...

Kersh wrote:
    235/45-17 on front - Yokohamas lasted 6000 miles.
    255/40-17 on rear - toyo proxes lasted 6000 miles.

On Nankang NS1 now... way better. so far...

jaysus what are u doing to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

lomb wrote:
    jaysus what are u doing to them?

Two 300ZX Twin Turbos
    Porsche 911

If I'm correct...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I got about 40k miles out of a set of Michelins. Replacement Michelins were too expensive so changed to Bridgestones. The front two didn't last very long as they were crap and noisy so changed them to Vrederstein Sport Trac. They are much quieter, have better grip in the rain and last longer. Will be buying Vrederstein again.

it seems from tyretest.com and other reviews that continental premium contact is probably the best main stream tyre around for grip in wet and dry. average for wear though, although if it saves your car or life i dont think u would complain..

bazz26 wrote:
    I got about 40k miles out of a set of Michelins. Replacement Michelins were too expensive so changed to Bridgestones. The front two didn't last very long as they were crap and noisy so changed them to Vrederstein Sport Trac. They are much quieter, have better grip in the rain and last longer. Will be buying Vrederstein again.

the sport tracs are rated v. highly except for fuel economy(rolling resistance) mayb a false economy as some tyres can save u 5% of what 1500ish euros a year on fuel??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Original Tyres Dunlop P700 185/55 R14 20,000 on front 65000 on rear.
    Changed to Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2 185/55 R14 15,000 on front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Slightly OT, but I've noticed that changing the tyres on my car makes a huge difference to the fuel economy. When the tyres are worn in I get about 500km out of a tank of fuel, but on new tyres this can drop to 400km. Anyone else see such a big difference?

Just put my first set of new tyres on the car since I bought it, so we'll see.

Advertisement