Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional licence

Options
  • 30-03-2006 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if a provisional licence can be gotten before your 17th birthday? I will be 17 next Thursday but won't be able to get to a motor tax office until the weekend, and they'll be closed then, and I'll be heading away the following Monday. I was wondering would I be able to head to the tax office on Wednesday, as I get a half day, and get the slip before the licence? I wouldn't be starting to drive even with that until the weekend at best. Or do I have to wait until the day of or after my 17th?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Have you passed your theory test yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Yes, I have my theory test, and I'm getting passport photos and an eye test at the weekend.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would doubt that they would give you a licence until you are 17.
    What is your rush anyway - go when you are 17?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

kbannon wrote:

You'll probably be waiting 2 weeks to receive the licence (they don't make them on the spot) so fire away, send your application in to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

kbannon wrote:

I wouldn't be driving until 2 or 3 weeks after my birthday because I'll be in Portugal from Monday week, but I'd like to have my licence for when I get my lessons after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Squirrel wrote:
    I wouldn't be driving until 2 or 3 weeks after my birthday because I'll be in Portugal from Monday week, but I'd like to have my licence for when I get my lessons after.
    just post it to them on wednesday.by the time you go away on holidays and back you should have it.it should take max 3 weeks after date of postage.this might be a easier option.send it reg post on wed and they will have it thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Actually my provisional was issued two days before my 17th birthday, because like young squirrel here I couldn't wait and posted it in early.

Post it at least, you should have it by the time you get home, make getting back a bit less painfull anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Actually my provisional was issued two days before my 17th birthday, because like you squirrel I couldn't wait and posted it in early.

Post it at least, you should have it by the time you get home, make getting back a bit less painfull anyway:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

i went into the tax office before, the kind man gave me a receipt and licence number which i was legally allowed drive with and get lessons on-which i did. RAC chap barely looked it over before throwing back on my lap!

Advertisement