Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying 2002 corolla - question about NCT (and looking for tips)

Options
  • 30-03-2006 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I'm going to hopefully buy a 2002 Toyota Corolla at the weekend, and I have a question about the NCT.

I'm not sure what month the car was registered, but I gather it can be NCT'd 6 months in advance. So the chances are that it's possible it can be NCT’d now.

Should I insist that the garage put the car through the NCT, before I buy it ? Is it normal that they would do this ? I’ll be getting the Toyota 12 month warranty with it, so I’d probably settle for putting it through myself whenever it’s due as long as I have an understanding that they will carry out any work required to make it pass free of charge.

They have 2, new model, saloon, lowish mileage on both. They’re looking for 11.5K cash deal for it. Should I try going in at 9.5K and hope to meet at 10.5 or 10.75, or will he just laugh me of the forecourt and I’ll be car sharing for another week ?

Any opinions on the car ? the price ? or even better how I can save some hard earned cash greatly appreciated, txs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Great car. Reliable as the dart being late! looking for one my self

Re NCT i was in a dealer the other day and thought i saw something that said they guarantee the car would pass NCT as they have done their quality check on it? maybe i was mistaken? No harm in getting them to put it through for you though if they will! You can always try to haggle, but i don't see it coming much below 11k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RedBelly

thanks. yeah I can't really see him going below 11K. it's the same model as new, reliable and in demand, and unfortunately they know that.

I'd settle for 11K as I'm rightly stuck since the timing belt went on my 97 punto, hence one deceased engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

May be worth asking bout the NCT cos the car will come with Toyota's Dealer Warranty!

Good luck, i'm trying to find a D4D stratta!! Like hen's teeth so i'm told!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Drive it before you buy it and listen for that tell-tale rattle from the manifold. It's like Ggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... ALL THE TIME!

Oh, and try to drive it at 90Km/H and over. You might be lucky and get one that doesn't sqeal and moan in agony at that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

you'll have to go for the early 05 facelift to get a D4-D Strata. They only came in round then as they used the facelift to introduce the 1.4 D4-D.
    Can't see you getting one for less than 20K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I bought a Corolla from a Toyota dealer a few years back with a sticker price of £9950 (Punts), but the best I could get with cash was £650 off. (about €825). How much are they coming down from the sticker price for you?

I think the NCT can be done 3 months before the due date....ask to see the RF101 form..it will tell you the registration date and you can guess from there.

Or look at the reg. no. I can normally tell from the county I live in what month +/- 1 month it was registered.

For a '02 reg, I think you'll be doing well to get it for €11k from the Toyota dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Dont expect much off the new model will never stay in garage long.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can do a first time NCT 6 months early, 3 months after that.

You haven't a hope of getting it for 9.5k BTW

Advertisement