Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your fav macdowell quotes

Options
  • 30-03-2006 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭

Quite like him as a politician, but what i really like are the quotes he comes out with some times, he's a legend

for me its a throw up between

" there was open toed sandals and museli in the air" re the greens thrashing pd offices and

" no guff about fairy forts or any other such nonsense will stop me building this prison"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Cyrus wrote:
    Quite like him as a politician, but what i really like are the quotes he comes out with some times, he's a legend

for me its a throw up between

" there was open toed sandals and museli in the air" re the greens thrashing pd offices and

" no guff about fairy forts or any other such nonsense will stop me building this prison"

"I resign"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

"Inequality is good for the Irish economy". :rolleyes:

And to think some people reckon politicans aren't out of touch with the man in the street. :rolleyes:

That quote of his says a lot about the current government and who they believe they are there to serve. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Hogmeister B

Also there's the fact he's minister for Justice Equality and Law Reform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Sgt Sensible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Rockdolphin

"The PD's are the liberal party of Ireland" :eek: Scary eh !

"The PD's are Ireland's true Republican Party" :D

McDowell has the instincts of Hitler and the ruthlesness of Stalin.

daveirl wrote:

Ok, maybe liberal in an Irish sense, but not liberal from an holistic viewpoint. Freedom of choice would tend to be very high on the list for most liberal minded people. So too would be freedom of expression and McDowell certainly see's those as obstacles to be driven through.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

I liked the "muesli in the air and open-toed sandles to be seen" one cause it sums up the Green party nicely. Although "I resign and remove myslef from public life" has a certain ring to it which I think everyone likes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

daveirl wrote:
    why would you want to be a CEO? according to sand, they have a worse quality of life than a terminally ill cancer patient.
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2006/0301/1120406416HM1STRESS.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Sgt Sensible

daveirl wrote:
    But on their site, the PDs say they stand for
    * Freedom as essential to a civilised, just and prosperous society
    * Equality of opportunity
    * Solidarity within society, promoting each person's dignity and potential
    * Human rights and the rule of law

We believe that social justice and economic prosperity go together.

Solidarity? Rights? Equality? Sounds more like Sinn Fein.

What's he on about here?
    "A society so ordered, static, and where the Government tries to order everything by law, it would become as atrophied as a feudal society. The order is imposed from top down and people have to fit into this order, infused by an imposed morality." He did not believe in "the great planned society", Mr McDowell said.
    Is he suggesting that order be imposed from the bottom up? Or horizontally? With decisions being made by workers rather than management, a sort of direct democracy? Or is he suggesting that elected representatives (apart from the PDs) should not have any power to create policies and that everything should be left to "individuals" (ie. people with wads of cash, the PDs mates generally).

With its joke infrastructure, chaotic health service, non existent environmental polices etc, nobody could accuse Ireland of being much of a planned society for sure.

The man is a loon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

daveirl wrote:

That suggests that you are currently on the lowest rung of the ladder? Is this really true or are you on the lowest rung on the top half of the ladder or the top third or top quarter or top sixth etc?

daveirl wrote:

I thought the PD's wanted to give all the taxi drivers in Dublin a second licence as opposed to actually deregulating the maket, and that it was actually the courts that forced this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

"A society so ordered, static, and where the Government tries to order everything by law, it would become as atrophied as a feudal society. The order is imposed from top down and people have to fit into this order, infused by an imposed morality." He did not believe in "the great planned society", Mr McDowell said.

ok....
    The Minister for Justice Michael McDowell has warned garda representative associations that a campaign against the proposed garda reserve could backfire on them.

The Minister was speaking in Chester where he and Garda Commissioner Noel Conroy are meeting reservists and attending a conference of the special constabulary.

Mr McDowell said a garda reserve is now enshrined in law and members of the gardaí must uphold the law.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0331/gardai.html

His impressive intellect also led him to conclude that by cutting an hour off our drinking time on Thursdays it would solve drink fuelled violence on our streets. Clever eh !

How about shuting the thug down not the pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Cillian1973

Yes, Inequality is good fo the economy and Ireland has prospered on this fruitful inequality. We have the lowest rate of unempolyment since the foundation of the state and we are more outward looking than we were 20 years ago so stop whining and vote PDs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

Yes, Inequality is good fo the economy and Ireland has prospered on this fruitful inequality. We have the lowest rate of unempolyment since the foundation of the state and we are more outward looking than we were 20 years ago so stop whining and vote PDs

Totally - just look at what Mary Harney is doing to our health service. Complain Complain Complain thats all those malingerers in the corridors of our hospitals ever do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

Even her fcuking website doesnt work
    http://www.maryharney.ie/

"The new Mary Harney website will be available soon

in the mean time why not visit progressivedemocrats.ie for more information "

I wonder how many consultants it will take to get that sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement