Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody ever heard of Glenn Baker?

• 30-03-2006 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Has anybody here ever heard of Glenn Baker? He is from Cork is about 18 played for the Irish team and is now in Boston on scolarship. if anybody does let me know I knew him for about a week and found some of his stories a bit 'too good' if you know what i mean

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 NDMARSHALS

Everthing Glenn Baker told you is true he is known as Bubba and played for the Dragons and Admirals in Ireland. I know him very well. And yes he is in High School on scolarship and is being tracked by big colleges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

He has the speed and the skills!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Yeah I know bubba, played with him last year for the dragons and ireland. He was home for a week there 2 weeks ago, ran into him in the airport - this was the first time ive seen him in nearly a year - and he has doubled in size since ive last seen him. Absolutely massive, wouldnt be surprised if he does well playing in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭fixer

Bubba was known for embellishing the truth, so grain of salt with a lot of what he says. No malice, just an excitable young fella. He needed a good coach to teach some discipline, and a weight room to get him bulked up. he certainly has the frame for it!

I still doubt the whole scholarship thing, as his folks were not hurting for cash and that school only seems to offer financial hardship scholarships. I think it was a casual mention by Bubba that wasn't fact-checked by the IAFL in desire for a story.

http://www.salisburyschool.org/admissions/tuition_finaid/tuition.asp

• Advertisement

Ok Fixer you should get some facts b4 you post we all know Bubba liked to talk it up but I have actually seen some of the letters he received so be careful what you say about him.

We should wish him well and hope he makes it becasue it helps the sport in this country.

why would I need to be careful? I still doubt it, and don't think he is on a full-ride athletic scholarship. Sure, I've been wrong before, doesn't bother me to be wrong again.

One kid playing for a small New Englad prep school isn't going to do anything for football in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

fixer wrote:
    One kid playing for a small New England prep school isn't going to do anything for football in Ireland.

What a load of BS that is!!!! How can you say that? When word gets around the scene over here of course it will make a difference. Alot of kids will see that sort of thing as another option in life if they've got the talent.

I've got friends who are on full athletic scholarships in the U.S., both in college and prep school and believe me, they get the whole lot for free as they wouldn't be in a position to pay for the thing.

Here's the page where 1 of my friends is at http://www.lafayette.edu/admissions/finaid/costs_awards.html So that's $40k he's getting for 4 years, each year.

in the US, most athletic scholarships are for college/university level students. Any school participating in a public sports league cannot offer athletic scholarships. Any private school part of the Ivy League system can't offer sports scholarships (even at the university level).

Since I have yet to ever come across a secondary school with a sports scholarship program, I will continue to doubt this story.

It's easy to get a secondary student into an exchange program, and there are a lot of schools that would at least let them walk-on and train with the team for the year. A big rich kid with family connections going to a prep school in New England at 40k/yr isn't going to inspire anyone in Ireland to take up football, except perhaps some other rich preppy D4 types.

Man just because you have never known anyone to get a scholarship, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Believe me, there are on average about 2-3 teenagers that go over to play basketball in the states on full athletic scholarships.

That might seem low but the basketball grounding we have over here is terrible.

So Glenn, being the first (from what I've read anyway) to get a full athletic scholarship in American Football, I wish him luck and hopefully there are alot more to follow in his footsteps.

I just don't understand why you seem you have to try and find something wrong with his scholarship, jealousy has come to mind but whatever I suppose!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

What a load of BS that is!!!! How can you say that? When word gets around the scene over here of course it will make a difference. Alot of kids will see that sort of thing as another option in life if they've got the talent.

I admire your optimism, but not your lack of realism. I'm happy for Bubba but I agree with Fixer: it's not going to do anything for football in Ireland.

To: fixer@vigilante.net
    12:50 am (14 hours ago)

> Does Salisbury School offer any athletic scholarships?

All our awards are need based financial aid

Tim Sinclair
    Director of Athletics
    Salisbury School
    251 Canaan Road
    Salisbury, CT 06068
    Phone: 860-435-5898
    Fax: 860-435-5755
    Email: tsinclair@salisburyschool.org

whether the school offers scholarships or not does it matter. He is there playing football doing something alot of us dream of. Even if he doesnt make D1 he can still get D2 or D3 I have seen some of the letters he got from colleges and im happy for the kid so what if it doesnt do anything for football here can't we be happy for the guy. F sake an Irish kid is doing something good and there is nothing but be-grudgery.

NDMARSHALS wrote:
    F sake an Irish kid is doing something good and there is nothing but be-grudgery.

My point exactly, ****ing assholes the lot of them.

lighten up, francis. I've never said I am not happy for Bubba, I truly am proud of him. But, what I do want is some perspective and honesty about it.

Any Irish kid can get into a student exchange program and go to a US high school. The coaches there would gladly help get them involved in a level of training and possible competition to suit their level of development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭spooiirt!!

I doubt one O-liner playing a bit of high school football in the US is going to have any impact over here. If he gets a college scholarship, it might be mentioned on the bottom of a sports section in a newspaper somewhere, but i also doubt that that will have any effect on Irish football.

I doubt one O-liner playing a bit of high school football in the US is going to have any impact over here. If he gets a college scholarship, it might be mentioned on the bottom of a sports section in a newspaper somewhere, but i also doubt that that will have any effect on Irish football.

spooiirt!! wrote:

Sudddenly become Mystic Meg have we??

Look whether it does anything for Irish Football who gives a flying fook. In the off chance he does make one of the D1 colleges(I have seen letters) that have shown interest or the NFL he is from Cork and that accent is fairly thick :) Lets be happy for Bubba and wish him the best. And hope that maybe he does cut it and go all the way. Is that so hard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

NDMARSHALS wrote:
    In the off chance he does make one of the D1 colleges(I have seen letters) that have shown interest or the NFL he is from Cork and that accent is fairly thick :) Lets be happy for Bubba and wish him the best. And hope that maybe he does cut it and go all the way. Is that so hard?
    agreed. if he's playing Div 1 somebody like the Indo will do a big profile of him as somebody to watch and maybe somebody like George Kimball who's based in the States would do something on him for the Times. If he ever made the NFL he'd always be in demand for quotes, particularly around the Super Bowl - even if he wasn't in it - and it wouldn't surprise me if somebody like Sky Sports had a regular interview slot with him about his progress and how his team were doing. They love to have some local colour and would quickly claim him as British. Obviously that is way down the line but I'd like to contradict some of the negative comments being made. I work in the media and I can tell you that if a guy becomes successful in a sport, particularly one that's fairly visible like the NFL (as in it's on tv a lot, unlike something like sailing or squash) it will lead to a lot of articles. most journalists would then do a panel/separate box on the IAFL, given the player came out of the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

I don't mean to be negative here, I'm just being realistic. It seems negative because some others are being unrealistically positive (if you know what I mean).

If, as jdivision says, he goes on to play for a D1 college or even the NFL then: yes, it would be great for the IAFL.

At the moment he's just playing some high school ball and that's not going to make a difference to the sport in Ireland - sure, he's been over there for a year now and it hasn't made a difference. I really do hope he goes on to have a successful football career, cos he's a good kid and it would be cool to see somebody from the IAFL hold his own against the best the States have to offer.

I wish Bubba the best and I do hope he succeeds.

• Advertisement

NDMARSHALS wrote:
    Sudddenly become Mystic Meg have we??

Look whether it does anything for Irish Football who gives a flying fook. In the off chance he does make one of the D1 colleges(I have seen letters) that have shown interest or the NFL he is from Cork and that accent is fairly thick :) Lets be happy for Bubba and wish him the best. And hope that maybe he does cut it and go all the way. Is that so hard?

who says im not happy for him? Im just saying that his success is going to change anything over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hoganh2

fixer wrote: »
    Bubba was known for embellishing the truth, so grain of salt with a lot of what he says. No malice, just an excitable young fella. He needed a good coach to teach some discipline, and a weight room to get him bulked up. he certainly has the frame for it!

I still doubt the whole scholarship thing, as his folks were not hurting for cash and that school only seems to offer financial hardship scholarships. I think it was a casual mention by Bubba that wasn't fact-checked by the IAFL in desire for a story.

http://www.salisburyschool.org/admissions/tuition_finaid/tuition.asp

"VIENNA, VA. – USA Football, a non-profit organization leading the development and growth of youth and amateur football, is sponsoring a number of international student-athletes this season, including three student-athletes from Germany and one from Ireland, who are attending classes at prestigious New England prep schools this fall."

http://www.globalfootball.com/events/USA07/news.html

Get the facts right!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

hoganh can I ask why you dragged up a 3 year old thread? Most people on here know who Glenn Baker is. Alot of the guys on here who play in the IAFL know who he is on here. In fact I played alongside him when he started out and still talk to him every now and again. Quoting someone from 3 years ago to prove a point is unnecessary really.

I'm his cousin and just saw the thread, just wanted the fact right, thats all!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

hoganh2 wrote: »
    I'm his cousin and just saw the thread, just wanted the fact right, thats all!!! :)

Fair enough but there really isnt the need to search down a 3 year old thread :D Most of us boys on here are proud of Glenns hardwork and wish him best in his future.

I just googled his name and it came up, don't worry!! I'm very proud of him also, great guy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Best of luck to the kid. However, I don't believe that wondering whether he is on a full ride athletic scholarship in highschool equates to begrudgery. I would be incredibly surprised (and a little sickened) if such things existed.

Obviously, Irish lads have received athletic scholarships for a variety of sports down through the years at the collegiate level. If this guy gets to a Division 1 school with a scholarship and works hard, it would have to be good for the game in this country. I mean, how could it not? Moreover, if might pave the way for more Irish kids to thread a similar path.

And then, while it is somewhat off topic to this discussion, if it switched schoolboy coaches and teachers onto the possibility University scholarships for top end underage soccer players over here that would be no bad thing either.

Advertisement