Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

it's sad that a van halen song is second in the 100 greatest solos

• 30-03-2006 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

very sad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ahh yes, these famous lists, to me they mean sweet god damn fa.

just cause one person/100 people/1000 people/ 1 million people voted to make a top ten solo list doesn't make the list the definitive list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I don't know what list you're referring to but the fact that all those top 100s on Channel 4 are voted for from a list of about 120-150 says it all. Personally I wouldn't put Van Halen in the top 100 at all but that's just me. And the people who voted for the other songs.

John2 wrote:
    I don't know what list you're referring to but the fact that all those top 100s on Channel 4 are voted for from a list of about 120-150 says it all. Personally I wouldn't put Van Halen in the top 100 at all but that's just me. And the people who voted for the other songs.
    i saw this list, it was in the metro and the hearld am there last week, monday if memory serves me correctly.

stairway to heaven got number 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlackSabbath

Links to bittorrents on this site must be accompanied by evidence that the bittorrent is authorised by the copyright holders.

Alternatively you can give us a few hundred thousand Euro per link, so we can deal with the possible lawsuit should it arise.

Consider this a warning, subsequent breaches will result in you being banned from the entire site.

erm, see ya later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 loveducati

i dunno, solo in jump and beat it are technically very difficult to play note perfect, it took me about 3 hours to get it, as is spanish fly,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Didnt see the list, but I bet Necrophagist or Mithras didnt get a mention :)

These lists are pointless when it comes to music, its not 'greatest' its 'most popular', most of the real impressive stuff is played by people most folk have never even heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

Spanish Fly is a great piece! EVH was and still is great. He was a one man guitar revolution! Not saying that he started tapping but he certainly brought it to the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

What's wrong with Van Halen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

very sad.

Wow another in depth post/thread from BlackSabbath:rolleyes:

Why is it very sad?What was the song?What excately is your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

To be fair Van Halen are quite overrated.

Even their most consisent albums, Van Halen and 1984, lack depth and wear thin after multiple listens. Some great tracks on both (Runnin' With The Devil, House Of Pain), but they're coupled with too much generic stuff for me to have either disc in high rotation. Van Halen II and Women And Children First are good albums too but again they don't exactly inspire me to listen to them regularly.

Stuff like Eruption and Spanish Fly was revolutionary though, and definitely changed the face of hard rock in a big way, so I recognise that they played an important role regardless of how highly I rate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I think it was eruption that got number 2 wasn't it.
    It's a revolutionary pieces, but more a technical exercise than anything else, there's very little substance to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

I think it was eruption that got number 2 wasn't it.
    It's a revolutionary pieces, but more a technical exercise than anything else, there's very little substance to it

Yeah maybe to a novice, but you really have know van halen to truly appreciate eruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

cotwold wrote:
    Yeah maybe to a novice, but you really have know van halen to truly appreciate eruption.
    I would be hard pushed to find a piece more devoid of emotion
    (well ok maybe emo in general)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

AlanOB wrote:
    To be fair Van Halen are quite overrated.

Even their most consisent albums, Van Halen and 1984, lack depth and wear thin after multiple listens. Some great tracks on both (Runnin' With The Devil, House Of Pain), but they're coupled with too much generic stuff for me to have either disc in high rotation.

Its hair rock, its not supposed to be deep.

I think runnin with the devil is off the first album.

Advertisement