Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iol bb keeps dropping ?

• 30-03-2006 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I have had IOL BB for a couple of years and had no problems until recently. The signal keeps dropping. I use a Zyxel modem, a splitter given to me by iol and an extension cord. I have checked the connections and all seem ok. Got a new pc, is there anything that could be causing conflict ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Mine keeps dropping too. Especially when downloading something. The act light keeps flashing like mad, but the connection is dropped.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Possible that the recent upgrades just can't be handled by your line, you might consider moving to a lower speed package. This seems to have done the trick for a few people.

Otherwise, do the usual business of making sure your signal strength is as good as possible by checking at the main phone point, etc.

Also, check to see if the DSL light on the modem goes off when you "lose connection", as this will be indicative of the upgrade problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

My BT service went really crap recently untill I decided to swap the linksys router and use a netopia modem from eircon lying around.
    Service seems to be way better but I have noticed high pings alot over the last forthnight.

My line is new, as in installed a year ago.

Im not to sure about adsl stats but can someone confirm if these stats are ok?
    Line State 	Up
    Modulation 	DMT
    Data Path 	Interleave

Downstream 	Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 	3072 	384
    SN Margin (dB) 	31.00 	10.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 	25.00 	14.00
    CRC Errors 	137 	0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

my 3MB connection has been at it for weeks, was on the phone to tech support about the whole dropping connection issue and this is what was i told, word for word :
    "to be honest with you the majority of lines in the of the country are ****e and can't take the upgrade to 3MB, eircom know this and we've told them this before the upgrade happened. you'll just have to go back to 2MB i'm affraid".

least he was honest. so why on earth are they advertising a 3MB service when it doesn't work.

Advertisement