Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a drylining power socket.

• 30-03-2006 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

Quick summary of my situation. The kitchen was recently done up, one wall had batons nailed up, plasterboard put on top and skimmed. However, the plug sockets were still on the old wall.

So we left uneven holes where the sockets are located and now I have two double sockets on a different level than the main wall.

I have been told I need to remove the old sockets and use dry lining boxes to raise the level of the new sockets to be flush with this newly skimmed wall.

Questions:

1) Is this difficult, can a layperson do this relatively easily?
    2) Given that the hole in the plaster is uneven and only very slightly larger than the sockets beneath, what can be done to give the finished product a nice clean finish. As opposed to a gappy, plaster-missing, look.
    3) Should I give up before beginning to try and call back the electrician?

Answers appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Have a look in Homebase or the like for the box. They are pretty cheap. You need to mark out the position on the plasterboard using the back of the box as a template. Then you carefully cut out the piece with a stanley knife.

Pull the wires through this hole and through the back of the plasterboard box. Sit the x into the hole and engage the small lugs by pulling them to the sides. Fix the wires to the appropriate connections of the socket and screw to the box.

You will see better when you have the box to hand how simple it is. Makes a neat finish.

You may even be able to set the boc to the existing hole...

Advertisement