Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sluggish Mercedes

Options
  • 31-03-2006 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hi, have a c180 that is very sluggish when first started i.e. cold. Fine once warmed up. Cannot idle and dies upon revving until its warm. Has hardly any power also. Kind of makes a small backfiring noise when revved and splutters. Low Milage and good service record! Only started recently.

Afetr a couple of minutes its fine and totally reliable overtaking etc. Thought of Plugs etc. Not sure why this only happens when cold.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Air mass meter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Thanks, someone mentioned to me about air flow, would this not effect the running when warm too? It seems the most common answer anyway. Do you know is this something you can replace second hand and easily.

thanks again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

ECU maybe. The thing that clogs up with suit. Think its called the ECU. Cleaned mine out before and it cleared the idle problem.

Edit... think its called the idle valve or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Hi, have a c180 that is very sluggish when first started i.e. cold. Fine once warmed up. Cannot idle and dies upon revving until its warm. Has hardly any power also. Kind of makes a small backfiring noise when revved and splutters. Low Milage and good service record! Only started recently.

Afetr a couple of minutes its fine and totally reliable overtaking etc. Thought of Plugs etc. Not sure why this only happens when cold.

Any ideas? Thanks.

What year and mileage on it?
    Any recent repairs or tuneups.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Chief--- wrote:
    ECU maybe. The thing that clogs up with suit. Think its called the ECU. Cleaned mine out before and it cleared the idle problem.

Edit... think its called the idle valve or something.

The Idle Air Control Valve....or the plugs. Should be one of these two

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

Mate change the plugs. Takes 10 minutes and at least you can rule that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

That happened to me and it was one of the spark plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Unlikely to be the plugs as the misfire would be there all the time.

You cannot "clean" an ECU or an Airflow Sensor !

You could easily swop the Airflow Sensor from another car, it takes about 30 seconds and that would rule that out. Otherwise depending on the exact model you may have a problem with the idle step motor, and this part CAN be cleaned !

Or you may have a problem with a coolant temperature sensor which tells the ECU the car is cold and should richen the mixture ( like a choke).

Best leave it to someone who is familiar with these cars !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Does it have a cold start injector? if it has it may be in trouble.

Yes it does and you're right ................thats possibly the cause !

Anyway this might help !

http://www.theworkshopmercedesbenz.com/C-Class.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Joeface

hmmmm lots of answers so i will add one aswell

Thermostat......prob f**ked , easy enough repair

I dont think the 'stat would cause this problem ever !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

replace the flux capacitor :)

Advertisement