Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do i compress a DVD to fit?

• 31-03-2006 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

i'm trying make a copy of a dvd which is 6+ gig in size to a 4.7gig DVD-r how can i do this, i have heard nero is good? can i use that?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

There's a program that does exactly what you want and it's called DVDShrink, google for it and you'll find a download for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭roger 2006 yeah

thanks Laguna, found a copy having a go of it now, thanks :)

thanks Laguna, i got the DVD done and made a copy of it and it works grand on the DVD player in the front room.

1 question, should it take 2 hours+ to shrink it down? :o

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Depends on the options you choose. You don't need to do it in low priority mode, and no need to perform in depth analysis (can't remember exact setting name). Mine takes about 30 min.

thanks Mark i'll mess around with it a bit more. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

thanks Laguna, i got the DVD done and made a copy of it and it works grand on the DVD player in the front room.

1 question, should it take 2 hours+ to shrink it down? :o
    It depends on the kind of processor you have really as what the program is basically doing is re encoding the video files of the film to slightly lesser quality as to enable them to fit on a smaller storage space (a 4.7gb DVD). You can speed it up slightly as MarkR said, by changing some of the options available to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Plus if you're using Shrink to rip the DVD aswell onto the HD before re-encoding it, this will add more time. It's a necessary step but usually I'd use DVD Decrypter to rip it and Shrink to re-encode it....

Advertisement