Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good middle - cost players for a modest transfer budget?

Options
  • 31-03-2006 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

I'm currently playing with Celtic and am having trouble securing new players that I feel are able to add something to my squad. It is an old team so new blood is crucial.

I'm just starting my second season and have gotten rid of Neil Lennon and Stan Varga. I've brought in Bergkamp and Vieri on short term deals on reasonable money so that isn't a problem, but I do need longer term solutions in key areas.

So, can anybody suggest quality, preferably young(ish) players I could sign up on my budget of £1.5 million?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Freddy Guarin perhaps? If you scour the likes of River Plate and Boca you'll find some very decent prospects at good prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Freddy Guarin perhaps?

Top notch recommendation, I was going to say the same myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Ah Guarin, I've had him in previous incarnations of the game. He really is something else. I just hope I don't bid for him and spark a frenzy of bids from richer clubs.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Benedict Vilakazi & Lebohang Mokoena from Orlando Pirates matured into world class players in FM2005, I don't know if they're any good in FM2006 but it wouldn't hurt to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I've never found Vilikazi or Mokoena to turn out good in FM2006

Go with Guarin, if you wait till his loan is nearly done you can pick him up for around 750K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Clement(spelling) Fritz or Bieofka, unreal :D Cheap at start of the game. Might still be able to get em cheap. If van den Borre is still on a youth contract get him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Slurms wrote:
    I've never found Vilikazi or Mokoena to turn out good in FM2006

Go with Guarin, if you wait till his loan is nearly done you can pick him up for around 750K.

Watch his contract you might be able to pick him up on a free 6 months after the loan deal expires

Dempsey wrote:
    Watch his contract you might be able to pick him up on a free 6 months after the loan deal expires
    I was too late for all the mentioned players. Most of them are playing in the French league. I suppose my search will have to continue!

Have a look at Mark Noble(WHU), Oliver Deschart (Anderlecht), Leighton Baines(Wigan), Mark Wilson(Dundee United/Celtic), Mark Kerr(Dundee United).

Thanks Dempsey. I'll check some of those names out. I know I've already enquired about Leighton Baines and he is overvalued already!

• Advertisement

Yea, I got him for €4-5M after Wigan got Relegated to the championship. nearly 2 years on, I've rejected a bid worth €12M + a player worth 4M from Seville. Bid for players in scotland are usually utter pish e.g. €1.5M + Juan Pablo Angel (34) for Kevin Vandenbergh who was worth €8M in the EPL when I eventually sold him.

The media rate baines as my best player, Deschart(sp?) was my best before that and he played in the same position and i went off and bought a better one. I still have Deschart as he is also class

Advertisement