Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfinished games

Options
  • 31-03-2006 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

I'm sure that most people feel the same way about this as I do. I hate not finishing games and the fact that the pile is ever increasing isn't helping. I just don't feel like I get any value out of them if I don't finish them completely. It's different if the game is rubbish, then you just couldn't be bothered:rolleyes:

My current list includes (of recent purchases); Batman begins, Strangers Wrath, Prince of Persia 3, B&W2 (just started), The Movies (got nowhere), H&D2 (never even loaded and had it for 2+yrs), Spiderman 2, Doom 3.......and the list goes on:confused:

Just bought Oblivion so I'm guessing that I'm not going to make any progress through these anytime soon. Maybe I just need to draw a line in the sand, or maybe I should stop buying so many games.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I sometimes read a forum whose community has an interesting way of addressing this. Basically, everybody posts up 5 games in their collection that, for one reason or another, they haven't finished, and they go through them, one at a time. When they finish one game, they move on to the next one, and replace that game with another one (either new, or from their collection).

It's interesting because it provides some incentive and motivation - you've got a target to work towards, and you're not in it alone. It's also nice that everyone has a list of games they've completed on the forum.

But yeah, I'm really guilty of this, even with games I adore. Resident Evil 4, for example, is in my mind the game of this generation, and I just... stopped playing it not long after I reached the second disc. I wasn't stuck, I wasn't bored by it, I just put it down for a few days and never went back. Same thing happened with Exit, another game that made a huge impression on me. And yet I'll still go out and spend €60 on another new game that I'll probably only see half of. Games are just too long for me, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

I tend to buy games one at a time.

ie Buy one game, and make sure I finish it before I buy another game. If I'm browsing around a game shop and I find myself tempted to buy a game then I just remind myself that I haven't finished the one I currently have, so I can't really justify buying another game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I wish I was as disciplined as that! When I see a new release that interests me, its a case of must have it. So, my recent purchases sitting on the shelf (unfinished) are: Rome Total War, LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth, Quake IV, GT Legends, B&W2, X3 and I've just bought Oblivion and Toca Race Driver 3.
    I did manage to finish Call of Duty 2 though. I think the problem is most of these games require a substantial time commitment, something most of us are seriously short of these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I've just got restarted on HL2 after leaving it for about a year. I was seriously stuck in the Ravenholm level (not lost, just outta ammo), so I just dropped it for a while. I restarted about a week ago and am nearing the end now (or so I assume...I just got to Nova Prospekt)

I manage to complete all PC games I've bought in the last year except Darwinia, but my console games are a different matter. We(heart)Katamari, SoTC, Pikmin 2, GTA San Andreas, doesn't seem to matter which console it's on, I've got quite a collection of half-finished games piling up.

I know I should stop buying more until I've finished these ones, but there are a fair few games coming out soon that I want, so I guess I'll still be talking about it a year from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I sometimes read a forum whose community has an interesting way of addressing this.
    rllmuk ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I think it's just a lack of discipline and too much money tbh. That plus the fact that there are a lot of great games out there now. Things were a lot easier when I first got my dreamcast. You could go for months without a decent title coming out. Pretty much every game I had got played to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

haven't finished HL2 due to steam ****ing up my offline mode, cod2 and brothers in arms i ha vent even gotten past the first level, I'm onto the 8th colossus after 2 weeks but that's more due to a lack of time rather than abandoning it.

and i also cant break into the top 32 in world championship snooker despite being in my fourth season... although i got a break of 98 the other day, which was really annoying cause i missed an easy yellow to make the century...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Darwin wrote:
    I think the problem is most of these games require a substantial time commitment, something most of us are seriously short of these days.

Agreed. Back in my early teens playing games to all hours and finishing them was fine. Now in my old age of 24 with a 9-5 job I find I have the money to buy loads of games but not the time to play them in.

Nowadays a few hours of Eve a night do me with the odd different game in everynow and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Vyse wrote:
    I hate not finishing games [snip] Just bought Oblivion

Hahaha...you're screwed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

only game i never finished was back in the day (snes earthworm jim)
    nowa days ive settled on the same type of games,,,cod2 q4 doom3 bia (bf2) all finished in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm terrible for not finishing games... and the fact that I pick up so many games, what with working in a game shop and all of that, really doesn't help. The last 2 games I finished were We Love Katamari and Burnout Revenge. I've got Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts, Otogi 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Metal Arms: Glitch in the System and quite a few others on the unfinished list at the moment. Maybe because I get a lot of stuff cheaply I don't put such a high value on things... and maybe because I've got a 3-console and DS habit to be feeding I just skip between things all the time. However while I'm sick at home at the moment I've played about 10 hours of FFX in the last 2 days, which has just about tripled how far into that game I am. Most of the time I just don't have the time... and I'm still planning on getting Dragon Quest 8 in 2 weeks time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

yeah, my problem is that i hold off on buying stuff for ages, then for no real reason i just go and raid game/hmv/gamestop and pick up 3 or four games on the cheap.

The only problem is i have stuff just sitting on my shelf that are still there from the last time.
    For example
    • Civ 3
    • Morrowind
    • UFO: Aftermath
    • Splinter cell 2&3
    • Shogun total war
    • Prince of persia: Warrior within [i know it's going to be awful, but i loved Sands of time so much i had to give it a go]
    • Doshin the Giant
    • Donkey Konga
    • ikaruga.
    • FEAR

i mean, i'll be hard pressed to properly play the first two on that list before i die of old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

was playing zelda windwaker but got bored of not understanding whats going on...seem to be getting stuck every 2 minutes (and i've completed like 7 zelda games previously)
    i stopped playing that and haven't turned the console on since, leaving mario kart unfinished and RE4 untouched

on pc i've got 2 games sitting there, not installed, and 2 more on the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

I bought Project zero 2 probably around a year and a half ago and never palyed it, i stuck it on about a motnh ago and playing about an hour or so per night (had to wait for it to get dark to play it, y'see) i finally clocked it there last week, and was glad i did, it was f*cking excellent. Slowly working through PZ3 now.. :eek:

I bought Project zero 2 probably around a year and a half ago and never palyed it, i stuck it on about a motnh ago and playing about an hour or so per night (had to wait for it to get dark to play it, y'see) i finally clocked it there last week, and was glad i did, it was f*cking excellent. Slowly working through PZ3 now.. :eek:

do you play them with the light off?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I got pissed off with HL2 myself and haven't gone back to it. It was placing those bloody standing gun turrets over and over and over again that got to me. I usually find that if I leave a game for a month or so, I can't just dive back in and have to start all over again. This happened with Fable twice and I've only just recently finished it. Great game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i havent finished a game since super mario world on snes, infact i finished all my games on snes, too many games these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I sometimes read a forum whose community has an interesting way of addressing this. Basically, everybody posts up 5 games in their collection that, for one reason or another, they haven't finished, and they go through them, one at a time. When they finish one game, they move on to the next one, and replace that game with another one (either new, or from their collection).
    i'd actually be on for doing that.
    my unfinished pile is ****ing gigantic at this stage, out of that there are only a handful of games that i definitely want to complete, but just don't have the motivation to do so...
    the final boss battle of paper mario 2, all of F.E.A.R. (i stupidly formatted my hard drive without backing up the savegames), Castlevania DoS and AoS, Metroid Fusion and Prince of Persia WW

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

eyerer wrote:
    RE4 untouched
    You really do owe it to yourself to play RE4. It's one of the finest games ever made.

perhaps i'll just leave windwaker to gather dust
    in honesty the least enjoyable zelda ive ever played (MM excluded, MM is a repressed memory)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

God i never finish games ive been doing good latly, finished god of war and vice city within 2 weeks of starting them which for me is pretty good, and the fact that they where both good games helped. Now not sure if I should start resi 4 or finish liberty city stories and halo2 just to get them out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Brother To God

I have been playing Neverwinter Nights for approx two years on and off,it is never ending.I really got into it again lately and got so very close to the end untill I met two nasty dragons who felt I should be dead so I went to an all time low,yes ........I got a walkthough and also a cheat! I do not even enjoy the game anymore,I just want it to be over,problem though is I also got the expansion packs!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Terminator 2 on the C64, just could never get past level 8! Same with everyone I know, one guy said he did it though:D

Zelda, Ocarina of Time, pretty much did everything but have half a heart left to go, didn't use any cheats or guides but just couldn't find it. I think all that was missing was half a heart. Of course, I completed the actual game, all that was missing was the heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

eyerer wrote:
    perhaps i'll just leave windwaker to gather dust
    in honesty the least enjoyable zelda ive ever played (MM excluded, MM is a repressed memory)

Gah! I don't understand why people didn't enjoy majora's mask. Bloody genius it was. Of course you needed a good solid few hours to get into it at the start.

Anyway, back OT, I am absolutely crap at finishing games. I even have plenty of time at the moment, I just can't be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

windwaker, RE4, metroid. all unfinished... have over 60 xbox games, which some aint even been played yet :o just aint got the time, playing oblivion, graw and far cry atm though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

cormie wrote:
    Terminator 2 on the C64, just could never get past level 8! Same with everyone I know, one guy said he did it though:D

-That'd be me. There was a trick to beating the second last level (you had to ram the truck into the helicopter that was chasing you instead of running from it).

These days Im TERRIBLE for not giving games the time they deserve. I remember being a teenager strapped for cash and disgusted at mates who would purchase a rack of games but barely touch them.

Stick me down for

RE4 ...............................(the shame)
    Chronicles of Riddick .........(the shame)
    Splinter Cell..............ok no I got pretty far in most of those
    Prince of Persia 3 ..............(55quid and I've barely touched it!)
    King Kong xbox .................(The framerate is AWFUL! Headache inducing- this one's being returned/sold)
    Exit psp
    MGA psp.............................(Must do more before sequel!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

bought Resi 4 ages ago on the ps2 finished it quick enough but only got all the secrets there yesterday now the game feels pointless :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Richie6904 wrote:
    bought Resi 4 ages ago on the ps2 finished it quick enough but only got all the secrets there yesterday now the game feels pointless :(
    call me strange, but playing through the game an extra 5+ times with all of the beefed up weapons (and eventually the infinite launcher) seemed anything but pointless to me...
    would still love to get the elephant gun and play through it again as well:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have a shed load of stuff unfinished, in fact more gathering dust than completed, but the main causes for shame are,
    Zelda, Majoras Mask, I have it on both N64 and GC and haven't gone back to either.
    RE4, freaked out by people trying to cut my head off with chainsaws, and got stuck with bugger all ammo.
    MGS2&3, I just can't help falling asleep during the game, can't stop getting nailed either.
    Ridge Racer 6 on the 360, since I got Oblivion, Gun and DOA4 don't play anything else on the console.
    About 17 games I have bought since January for the PS2 and haven't been touched.

Animal Crossing Wild World has turned up to monopolise my time away from home too! What is a gamer to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

cormie wrote:

its actually hard to finish anything on the c64 even nowadays, you can only finish games on it if your using emulators and use some sort of unlimited credits or lives type of cheat. Ever played Heroes of the quest? i was convinced you could not complete some of the dungeons in it, i went around the entire dungeon with my elf,mage,barbarian and dwarf , couldnt find any doors and searched for secret ones but to no avail :(

But currently one game which i bought a while ago was stubbs the zombie, i enjoyed it alot and played for about 2 hours ONCE and havent played it since, as others have said i didnt get bored with it i just havent gotten back to it, i now have Oblivion and im gonna defo play the new armoured core on the ps2 when its out.

Advertisement