Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crom Cruach

Options
  • 31-03-2006 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Was just wondering does anyone know any good source of information on Crom Cruach? What little I've found seems to have been heavily influenced by the writings of Saint Patrick and as such isn't entirely reliable. All I really know myself is he was a neolithic God who predated the Tuatha de Danann and that he was associated with death and fertility. Any help much appreciated.

Neil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NeilJ

I read that one. Don't know how good or accurate it is. The individual certainly did alot of research. What I'm looking for more so is stories and myths as are found in relation to the other Irish gods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

As far as I can remember Crom Cruach was a sun god of the Millesian people and therefore would have come after the Dannans? At least in the Irish context. Crom Cruach would have been the primary Male Sun deity between the Late Iron Age and the Early Christian period of Irish History and as such there would be information to be had in relation to St. Patrick. One of the Interesting things about him that I find is that late dolmen style structures are often called Cromlech's which I believe means altar to Chrom the Maybe look for info on the Millesians and you might find out more???

The mythology has been thus put into verse by T. D. McGee --

"Their ocean god was Menanan Mac Lir,
    Whose angry lips
    In their white foam full often would inter
    Whole fleets of ships.

Crom was their Day god; and their Thunderer,
    Made morning and eclipse;
    Bride was their queen of song, and unto her
    They prayed with fire-touched lips."

I believe you will find plenty on sacred texts...
    Good luck with the search.
    Emma

Irish Druids And Old Irish Religions by James Bonwick will be a good starting point

Advertisement