Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

this is mad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

The final number can only be a certain range of numbers (0, 9, 18...) and all of these numbers will have the same symbol each refresh. For a quick confirmation, see what symbol 0 is each time. The 'crystal ball' will show the symbol of 0 every time (which is also the symbol of 9, 18...).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Simple mathematical solution. It's always the sameas 0! Cleverly thought of though.
    Notice that the symbols beside the numbers change every time too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭popppy

liked that one...thought i had it quite quickly but then it got me lol so glad someone explained it.....once you see it it's so clear !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

yeah as stated above it is simple enough. if you take any 2 digit number and do as instructed you will always result in a multiple of 9, hence the reason that 0 works, 9 x 0 = 0. so just to say that whatever 0 is is the answer is slightly over-simplifying things. and as said above your solution set will be {0,9,18,27....}

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I tried it 7 times and it was wrong every time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Hagar wrote:

i wouldn't have thought thats possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hagar wrote:

The solutions have to be mod 9, and all the symbols (mod 9) are the same.

The only way you can get it wrong is by doing some simple addition and subtraction wrong.

Take any two-digit number: xy

This is really 10x + y.

Now add the digits: x + y.

Now take them away from your original number:

10x + y - (x + y)

= 9x.

i.e. Your answer is divisible by 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I mis-read it. I was expecting to see the symbol opposite my original number.
    I just go and stand in the dunce's corner for 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

ah thats brilliant! i did it a few times trying to figure it out but couldnt get it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement