Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Cup Semi's

• 31-03-2006 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Gretna v Dundee
    Hearts v Hibs

So its scottish cup semi final weekend. In the first semi final we have a 2nd division side, Gretna, against a 1st division side, Dundee. Gretna are the Chelsea of lower league football in scotland as they have a millionaire owner who has bankrolled their succes, having won division 3 last season and already secured division 2 this season.They also beat Celtic's conquerors Clyde in an earlier round. Dundee were relegated from the premier division last season and as such have had to let a lot of players go and have brought in a lot of youngsters. I see Gretna going through here with a 2-0 win.

The other semi see's and Edinburgh derby between two sides battling towards the top of the SPL. Hearts have seen a lot of changes this season under their new Lithuanian owner and have been performing very well. Hibs have also been having a decent season and find themselves in 4th position. Undoubtedly the highlight of their season was victory over rangers in the cup at Ibrox. Hearts have had the upper hand between the sides this season ad i see this continuing on Sunday. Hearts to win 3-1.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Hopefully Hibs and Gretnawill get through to the final although it is most likely Dundee and Hearts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

I think Hearts and Gretna to meet in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Hearts and Gretna to get through, imo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Would love to see Gretna go through to the final. Has a team from the third tier of the league ever won the cup before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The mighty Gretna upsetting the odds already. 2-0 up midway through the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

3-0

Thank god Mileson didnt get St Pats.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

3-0 to Gretna and the dream lives on! I cant see an easy game for either Hearts or hibs in the final, contemplating going over to it as well

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Gretna for Europe!!! Unbelievable stuff. Ill certainly be cheering them on anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

If Hearts finish second in the league, will that be a Champions League place or UEFA Cup?

Whichever it is, if Gretna play Hearts in the final, will Gretna qualify for the UEFA Cup as cup "winners" even if they lose? (seeing as Hearts would have qualified for Europe through the league?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Hopefully the Hibees can overcome their 104 year Hoodoo, however they've had a poor run of form lately.
    With Riordan out due to suspension, the might be a bit lighter than usual up front, however Killen is a good enough player, and theres the new Morroccan Benjelloun who could turn out to be a secret weapon. Scott Brown may make an appearance, but I can't see him making the full 90 minutes, given that he's just coming back from having a Broken leg.

Should be a good game, and Hearts not having a manager will hopefully unsettle them enough to allow the Hibees to win (8-0 to the hibees would be a great result), but I can't see it happening, I think Hearts have enough to take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

The gretna owner was linked to a take over of us last year he and Shoddy Collins are mates

:( Disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Hibs were useless today. I thought they would give Hearts a good game. Hartley was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You mean Hibs? Hartley was excellent today although the pull back for the penalty was just outside the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

A millionaire railroading a football team to success:rolleyes: I never thought I`d see the day in football.:eek: LOL

Go on Gretna.............Europe watch out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Gretna into Europe now and the final is anything but a formality as well!

mchurl wrote:
    Gretna into Europe now and the final is anything but a formality as well!

I'm not so sure about that. AFAIK, if Hearts win the Cup, and Rangers come second in the SPL, then Hibs get the last UEFA spot.

I'm quite torn about this in all reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

What a legend Kenny Deuchar is! 35 goals last season and on par for a repeat this season, Hearts will have to watch out!

Advertisement