Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom High Ping

• 31-03-2006 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭

I have been using eircom Home plus package for a few months now and have been happy with the service up until about a month ago. I play games online quite regularly and over the past month or so every night between the times of 8pm to 10pm my ping will shoot up from a constant 30ms to about 900ms.
    I have rang Eircom repeatadly about it and they have been next to no help. They told me to ping google running cmd (start-run-cmd-ping -t www.google.com) and I have beeen getting the same ping from them so I know its not the game or the server I have been playing on.
    I have run AV scans and Anti Spyware scans with just about every program I know (Avast, Windows Defender, Stinger, Ad-Aware, Spybot). So I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem or could help me in anyway. I live in the Wicklow Town area.
    P.S. Go easy on me I'm new here :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Abc1

Are you connected directly to a modem or router (with a cable) or are you using a wireless router?

ABC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

I use the bundled bog standard Netopia router and have the WEP key configured on it.
    EDIT: Yep I'm connected through a cable to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I'm in North Cork and the same situation has been happening since they upgraded the BB service in February. We get very bad pings at busy times (from 6pm to 12am Mon-Fri and all day Sat & Sun) which as the OP said makes gaming impossible. Certain days the service will be down completely i.e. the router can't synch with the DSL signal (we had no Internet at all during Paddys Day :mad: ). Our contract with Eircom has gone beyond the mandatory 12 months so we're considering moving to BT (no Smart in our area yet). Would the same situation happen with them though considering they use the same network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Abc1

Ho-Hum wrote:
    I use the bundled bog standard Netopia router and have the WEP key configured on it.
    EDIT: Yep I'm connected through a cable to the router.

Can you click start run type in cmd

then in the command prompt windows type tracert 216.239.59.104 and post back the results..

It should show where the congestion in occuring (what hop)

ABC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the problems you are all descriping is the exact problems I had since the upgrade in late January.. exact same times everything...i had pings ranging from 30ms up to 1000ms and often not going lower than 400ms, download rates would go back towards isdn/dialup speeds and it was awfull..it would persist every evening after 5pm tilll midnight and then all day saturday and sunday, this persisteed for 8 weeks.. i kept at Eircom, got nowhere fast on the broadband support lines and eventually wrote a big letter to eircom with all my details attached for ping tests and speed tests and within 5 days of emailing it, they came out to my exchange, did something to it and it totally fixed the problem and Ive had a wonderfull service ever since. Thing is it didnt effect everyone on the exchange, just some people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Well ive been having simliar problems and recall gonzo posting as i was posting about the problem.
    Ever since upgrade my pings were anything from 80-180,
    Done all the uaual crap,it went on for about 4 weeks,some good days some bad then all of a sudden my pings stayed at a steady 35 to uk servers,dload speeds of 320 kbps.
    This happened bout 7-8 weeks ago i think and all has been glorious ever since.
    I assumed they done something at the exchamge,onyl the other day i was speaking to a friend who is on the same echange and his connection is still crap so im well confused.

Abc1 wrote:
    Can you click start run type in cmd

then in the command prompt windows type tracert 216.239.59.104 and post back the results..

It should show where the congestion in occuring (what hop)

ABC.

When my ping goes really bad this is what I get back, I'm guessing its pretty bad.

Tracing route to 216.239.59.104 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 * * * Request timed out.
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * 3241 ms 216.239.59.104

Trace complete.

Sorry for the Bump but does anyone have any ideas? Is there anything I can do other than pester Eircom until they do something?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ring them every day, email them with proper backup to your claim with ping results to www.eircom.net, tell them the times when its not working right, tell them speed test results etc...keep at it till they fix it.

Advertisement