Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid Statements from Commentators

• 31-03-2006 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Was only discussing this the other night when watching the Milan v Lyon game when the great Andy Gray came out with this:

"If he got that up he scored" when Shev hit the goalkeeper with a shot

Also the ngiht before on UTV when Mutu hit a shot over:

"That was too high from Mutu, oh maybe I shouldn't have said that"(something along those lines but was funny)

So anyone have any others? I remember all the Murray Walker ones which where classics......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

cue dozens of people searching through their old e-mails and getting copy and paste at the ready.

I just laugh every a time a commentator says something like "Birmingham will really want to win this game." You don't say.

In saying that, it's a tough job and I know if I was doing it there'd be a dedicated website to my howlers and tomfoolery.

On that note: www.dangerhere.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Wasn't this a thread a few weeks back?

Hamilton: "he's pulling him off, the spainish manager is pulling his captain off" spain v ireland the spainish captain Micheal i think is subbed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

That tosser Houghton the other night "Dida should have held that" after a rocket of a shot that he did well to tip over. I don't remember Ray been much good in net.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Theres the classic - "His favourite left foot" - that appears at least once every weekend. And no its not "favoured", even if it was, it still wouldn't be correct! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

And Cisses through with only the goalkeeper to beat, surely he must score.............................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

BolBill wrote:
    That tosser Houghton the other night "Dida should have held that" after a rocket of a shot that he did well to tip over. I don't remember Ray been much good in net.....

That one was too funny. I was in bits laughing when we said that. A rocket from Tiago into the top corner and dida did great to push it over. What the hell does he want from a keeper!!!

Still can't beat the Himilton classic. "Hes pulling him off, the Spanish manager is pulling his captain off!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

After the Juve Arse match Lawro and Tosh were talking and Lawro said something like "they played so definsively, it was like they were just trying to be the typical stereotyped Italian team" and Tosh was just like "wow, stereotyped, hang on with words like that there. You mean ordinary, just so the people behind the goalposts can understand". lawro gave him some confused look! Can anyone really perceive "stereotype" as a difficult word most people wouldnt understand?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Is it only commentators or is it pundits aswell? Dont forget Rodney marsh's "Toon Army" joke there a while back. That effectively ended his TV career

"David Beckham had turned down a move to Newcastle United because of trouble with the "Toon Army in Asia".

F*ckin edjit!

In fairness though i think it was pretty harsh to fire him over that. It was a joke mocking beckham that just mentioned something bad, it didn't actually insult the tsunami victims or anything. Bad taste, but career ending?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

~Rebel~ wrote:
    In fairness though i think it was pretty harsh to fire him over that. It was a joke mocking beckham that just mentioned something bad, it didn't actually insult the tsunami victims or anything. Bad taste, but career ending?

Sacking him was a bit harsh but you have to admit his timing wasnt very good. 250,000 people died about 2 weeks or a month previous. Maybe they were just looking for an excuse to sack him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Anything from Ron Atkinson!

Sacking him was a bit harsh but you have to admit his timing wasnt very good. 250,000 people died about 2 weeks or a month previous. Maybe they were just looking for an excuse to sack him.

Very true, it was very bad taste, but i thought a public apology and a fine or something would have been enough..very good point about it being an excuse to fire him though, suppose he was a bit of a lose cannon!

Advertisement