Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane's Testimonial

• 31-03-2006 2:47pm
    Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I just saw this from the examiner:
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Keane will return to Old Trafford as a Bhoy [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] By Simon Stone[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The Irish Examiner 31/03/06
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MANCHESTER UNITED will play Celtic in Roy Keane's testimonial at Old Trafford on Tuesday, May 9. A widely-anticipated announcement has now confirmed Keane's decision to take up the offer of a testimonial, which formed part of the deal that saw him leave United in November.

Although notoriously critical of testimonial games, Keane is expected to donate most of the proceeds to charity and has already declared his intention to release 1,000 free tickets to local Manchester schools and United supporters' clubs.

Keane's departure from Old Trafford stunned the football world.

After winning seven Premiership titles and four FA Cups - famously missing out on the 1999 Champions League Final due to suspension - many expected Keane to be offered a coaching role by Ferguson when the current season came to an end.

Instead, his 480-game career at United came to an end in a blaze of publicity following an attack on his team-mates during an MUTV interview, which was deemed too damaging to broadcast.

Keane has since played down the role of the interview in hastening his departure, insisting his relationship with Ferguson had just reached 'the end of the line'.

However, the 34-year-old's departure has clearly not lessened Ferguson's opinion of him as a player.

"This is something we wanted to do this season because Roy started the season with us," said Ferguson.

"The supporters want to recognise the unbelievable contribution and success he had with Manchester United.

"He was a fantastic player and captain for me and I hope he gets the proper send off he truly deserves.

"It will be a fantastic night for everyone."

Although there was wild speculation over where the Irishman might end up after he left United, Keane eventually opted to move into the Scottish Premier League with his beloved Celtic, lifting his first trophy with the Hoops following their recent CIS Insurance Cup Final win over Dunfermline.

Currently sidelined with a hamstring injury, Keane still needs to play another four games for the Hoops to qualify for a title medal but he is expected to be fit to face United in what is sure to be a sell-out crowd, and, given his long-standing hip problem, could yet be his final game as a professional.
    [/FONT]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Should be good, looking forward to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Annoucement made a few days ago from what I can remember.....should be a full stadium to honour a Utd Legend......wonder will RTE get coverage??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Celtic are to get 25,000 tickets :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

wrote:
    wonder will RTE get coverage??

I think MUTV will be on the only station showing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Can't wait.......it was confirmed yesterday...........

I shall be there.............:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

just caught the end of the news there on 2fm, think keane has announced that he id definately packing it in at the end of the season. i think i heard what he plans to do, but i didnt catch the whole story, so ill leave it for somebody else to break the news!though, something tells me that ,that part of the news story could be an april fool

Advertisement