Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omniplex v Eye

Options
  • 31-03-2006 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

Which do ye prefer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jezebel

Defo the eye, the seats are way more comfortable, theres a bar and a Bens and Jerrys stand. The only thing is their popcorn isnt very nice, its very dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

The Eye has good equipment/seats/food and all that, but wheres the love?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The love is in the double seats in Screen 7 in the eye!!

Eye is nicer cos its newer. They also do good ticket prices at various times. That said I would still go to the 'plex now and again.

Hector is getting annoying in the Eye though......

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Where's the poll?
    Btw, Omni wins hands down after the refurb imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

biko wrote:

Ya omniplex hands down

• Advertisement

biko wrote:
    Where's the poll?

They got alot wrong with the refurb though. In many of the screens the projectionist porthole is too low down, so when people get up at the back, their heads are beamed against the screen.

Where's the love in the Omniplex? Everytime I've ever been there I've been greeted by rude employees.

As far as I know they're trying to get rid of Hector in the Eye, but are under contract to keep him there for a while.. or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭anothervictim

Refurbishing hardly means changing the porthole windows in projection! Hmm, those windows just arent low enough, lets close them up and cut new ones! sorry. i agree though that the possibility of people blocking the picture when they stand up is an issue. and i believe new cinemas are now designed with this in mind. Seating and show quality are the only things that matter at the cinema and both places arent bad. but as an alternative, if you have the transport, the oranmore omniplex is definately better than the 2 city cinemas. its newer, has much more modern equipment, cleaner (although i find the eye has always exceptionally clean) and less hastle if you're drivin. i wouldnt rate the cinema on popcorn or sweets; that stuff is always crap anyway and a rip off. Wouldnt base it on the staff either, they're just people workin. To answer the posts question, my opinion is they are the same. ;)

I have to say i prefer the eye.It remings me of the UGC in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I'm going for the EYE cinema... should have been a poll... I haven't been to galway in a while with college but when I was there the omniplex had taken a serious downturn. That said the omni in oranmore isn't too bad but the eye pips it for me.
    i find the eye staff all very nice and I like the seats. Hector is cool but in all fairness hearing the same stuff over and over drives me cracked. they should have done more than 1 take with him!
    How long more to we have to endure it? I'm sure its turning some ppl away?!?

Sniipe wrote:
    How long more to we have to endure it? I'm sure its turning some ppl away?!?

There are plans to get rid of him. As far as I know we are obliged to keep him there for a certain length of time. But I don't want to say much more on this in case I am wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭laluna

1st eye 2nd oranmore 3rd omni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭anothervictim

the 'hector' clip you see at the eye is a short pre-feature message about emergency exits and no smoking i presume? If so, its not a case of being obliged to play these reels for a length of time. its just that thats all they have. If the hector clip is about what i mentioned above, its just a case of the cinema recieving a few copies of the clip and using it as a pre-feature message about what i mentioned above. I've noticed other cinemas having these type of messages just before the main film starts. e.g the 02 one and the vodafone one that says no smoking, turn off mobiles etc. i'd say the cinemas recieve these clips for free from the company who wants to advertise. Just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

laluna wrote:
    1st eye 2nd oranmore 3rd omni

I agree with that order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

I watched Hostel in the omniplex a few days ago and it was a surprisingly comfortable experience. The new seats are grand, its great what a bit of competition can achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

the 'hector' clip you see at the eye is a short pre-feature message about emergency exits and no smoking i presume? If so, its not a case of being obliged to play these reels for a length of time. its just that thats all they have. If the hector clip is about what i mentioned above, its just a case of the cinema recieving a few copies of the clip and using it as a pre-feature message about what i mentioned above. I've noticed other cinemas having these type of messages just before the main film starts. e.g the 02 one and the vodafone one that says no smoking, turn off mobiles etc. i'd say the cinemas recieve these clips for free from the company who wants to advertise. Just a guess.

The Hector clip was commissioned by Eye cinema itself because they wanted an alternative to the vodafone clips. They were in the cinema for hours filming it. It might have been part of the deal between Eye and Hector that the clip be used for a certain amount of time.

I watched Hostel in the omniplex a few days ago and it was a surprisingly comfortable experience. The new seats are grand, its great what a bit of competition can achieve.

the one thing a few of us were discussing is how long it will last. Before it was done up it was a dump. It really was. How long will it be til it gets like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Yeah the eye is definetely the best around. Its a bit farther away from the city centre though.

I agree with that order!
    That's because you're Oranmorian (sp?). Us townies prefer Omni.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

biko wrote:
    That's because you're Oranmorian (sp?). Us townies prefer Omni.

I never found the actual physical condition of the omni in town all that bad, its just such a knacker hole, go to see anything thats rated under 18's at the weekend and all you get is knacks fcuking about the place and being retarded without any fear of retribution from staff.

That's why I normally go to Oranmore, primarily for the obvious reasons that I live a few minutes walk away, but I like the EYE cinema the most out of the three and attend there fairly often as well.

Nice to hear the omni in town got a new job done on it but as I said, thats not the reason I never go there anyway so I'll continue to go to either oran omni or the eye...

I never had any hassle in any of the cinemas (touching wood) but I live closer to Omni and that fecker Hector is doing my head in. Maybe one day I will venture out to the big 'O' for a film. Is there a web address for it?
    http://www.filminfo.net/index.php?page=sites&wantedSite=gli Omni
    http://www.eyecinema.ie/ Eye

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yep, its listed on the main omniplex site...

www.omniplex.ie ....?

Its something along those lines anyway :D

Good man yerself! I may be out one of these days, will let you and RHG know in advance. Btw, the bowling is great in the O.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

I dont know how to post a poll so sorry!!!!

The problems I've always encountered with the Omniplex in town are:

1) The place is always filthy
    2) You always get really annoying teens and knackers mucking about
    3) The staff are extremely rude

I've never encountered things like that in any cinema I go to. And I'm not being biased about this, I just really dont like the omniplex

I prefer the omniplex (even before the recent renovations). The only experience Ive had with "knackers" happened whilst at a film in the eye. But the eye is good too (if a little expensive).
    Bit disappointed to see the omniplex remove the carpet, the was one plus over the eye but thats only minor!
    Was in screen 5 the other day and they have certainly improved that screen. Seats are better there than any screen in the eye! Have they revamped all the screens in the omniplex?

Also, Why havent any of the cinemas implemented a loyalty scheme? Surely, this would make sense and the first one to implement such a scheme would gain ground over the other. It seems stupid to me!!!
    I';ve never been to Oranmore. I hear that a crowd from Mayo are opening one in Salthill in the summer but are having trouble with planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I went to the Terryland Omniplex to watch V For Vendetta, and it reminded me why I prefer the Eye.

The place is a mess. The sticky carpet is gone, at least, but multiple broken seats are usually not the result of refurbishment. The volume levels were uncomfortably high. The ability of someone at the back to stand up and block half the screen does not help.

I doubt I'll be going back.

nollaig wrote:
    I prefer the omniplex (even before the recent renovations). The only experience Ive had with "knackers" happened whilst at a film in the eye. But the eye is good too (if a little expensive).
    Bit disappointed to see the omniplex remove the carpet, the was one plus over the eye but thats only minor!
    Was in screen 5 the other day and they have certainly improved that screen. Seats are better there than any screen in the eye! Have they revamped all the screens in the omniplex?

Also, Why havent any of the cinemas implemented a loyalty scheme? Surely, this would make sense and the first one to implement such a scheme would gain ground over the other. It seems stupid to me!!!
    I';ve never been to Oranmore. I hear that a crowd from Mayo are opening one in Salthill in the summer but are having trouble with planning.

What incident did you have in the Eye?

Also, in relation to the Salthill one.. there have been rumours of that ever since I was in 2nd year of secondary school.. thats 6-7 years ago.

What incident did you have in the Eye?

I dont wanna go into details cos it makes 0 difference.
    Also, in relation to the Salthill one.. there have been rumours of that ever since I was in 2nd year of secondary school.. thats 6-7 years ago.

I was talking to one of the fellas involved and he said he felt sure they would be opening around August. They are the crowd who run the cinema in Castlebar.

The sticky carpet is gone, at least

I liked the carpet, disappointed to see it gone! Looks a bit too much like the eye now!

• Advertisement

nollaig wrote:
    I dont wanna go into details cos it makes 0 difference.

did you try telling a member of staff about this incident?

Advertisement