Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omniplex v Eye

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

did you try telling a member of staff about this incident?

Why are you so interested? Are you a manager there or something? It was nothing, just a few "knackers"(as so elegantly put earlier in the thread) annoying us at the film, we got over it. My point was, It never happened at the omniplex but it did happen at the eye. 1-0 to the omniplex!!!!

nollaig wrote:
    Why are you so interested? Are you a manager there or something? It was nothing, just a few "knackers"(as so elegantly put earlier in the thread) annoying us at the film, we got over it. My point was, It never happened at the omniplex but it did happen at the eye. 1-0 to the omniplex!!!!
    Anytime I have ever been to the Eye I have always enjoyed my experience

But I am staff, and we do a good job in preventing problems such as that

But I am staff, and we do a good job in preventing problems such as that

Yeah, I understand that staff have a tough job. With some people, it can be very difficult.
    However, I dont think people should have to tell a member of staff. If they were so good at their job, they would prevent things from happening Or nip them in the bud!
    I do understand thats its not always as easy as this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I've worked in the omniplex and the Eye and it's just not as easy as all that. You can't be everywhere at once and if people think they're being watched for being potential troublemakers, that makes them even worse. I've had to remove people like that from screens and it ain't easy. Whatever about being abused by someone my own age, taking guff from kids is another thing entirely. And then their parents come along later to take you on for daring to eject their little darlings.
    Of course in a perfect world, people would go to the cinema to watch the film, not to rip seats, beat up other patrons or talk about their boring lives in a loud voice.

I was at the Omni a few weeks ago and it was still in the middle of renovations. Have they made screen 6 & 7 into one big screen or was that just a rumour? And is there some sort of games room or something there now? I thought I saw a sign on the wall near screen 5 but I was in a hurry so didn't investigate further. It's no harm for them to do up the Omniplex either. Its decor was beginning to look a bit dated.

And is there some sort of games room or something there now? I thought I saw a sign on the wall near screen 5 but I was in a hurry so didn't investigate further. It's no harm for them to do up the Omniplex either. Its decor was beginning to look a bit dated.

Yeah, theres a sign near screen 5 but no actual games room there yet....

• Advertisement

LucyBliss wrote:
    I've worked in the omniplex and the Eye and it's just not as easy as all that. You can't be everywhere at once and if people think they're being watched for being potential troublemakers, that makes them even worse. I've had to remove people like that from screens and it ain't easy. Whatever about being abused by someone my own age, taking guff from kids is another thing entirely. And then their parents come along later to take you on for daring to eject their little darlings.
    Of course in a perfect world, people would go to the cinema to watch the film, not to rip seats, beat up other patrons or talk about their boring lives in a loud voice.

Thats very true. There's not much that we can do. As we can't kick people out for potentially being trouble-makers, as they will make a fuss.

We do try and go in as often as possible to check on them, but it does annoy the other patrons who want to enjoy the movie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Has anyone tried to finish a large popcorn from the Omniplex? **** me it's too damn salty.

wet-paint wrote:
    Has anyone tried to finish a large popcorn from the Omniplex? **** me it's too damn salty.

I'm presuming that the Omniplex makes popcorn the same way the Eye does. If thats the case, the saltiness might be down to someone putting in wwaayy too much salt.. which I have done before by accident. It's amazingly easy to do

wet-paint wrote:

I'm presuming that the Omniplex makes popcorn the same way the Eye does. If thats the case, the saltiness might be down to someone putting in wwaayy too much salt (which would seem a tad bit obvious, I suppose.. kinda like pointing out its wet when it rains..) ..which I have done before by accident. It's amazingly easy to do

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I live beside the omniplex and it is a euro cheaper at a lovely 5e. There it is. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Yv

They got alot wrong with the refurb though. In many of the screens the projectionist porthole is too low down, so when people get up at the back, their heads are beamed against the screen.
    That happened when I was there too, & it's not like it was the US Basketball Squad, it was a group of 15 yr olds; I don't think they planned the refurbishments terribly well, for example the seats are way more comfortable than the last ones... until someone sits in front of you & you have them leaning on your knees for 90% of the movie. Also, 2 out of 3 of the films I've seen there since they did it up (though I know it's not finished yet, unless those patches of unpainted chipboard are part of the design :P) have been out of focus, which makes a film incredibly hard on the eyes. I've also noticed the unnecessarily high volume there recently too, & it's really really trebly & piercing.

I still prefer the Eye, but the sheer convenience of location of the Omniplex & the competitive price means I'll probably go there more than the Eye anyway. But if I get a job & can afford the transport, ticket & some Ben & Jerries it's the Eye all the way :P

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jsr

I'd go with the Eye. The projection portal is too low in the Omn. and last night I could hear the projector.(was right up the back) The film was in focus and sound was ok but if someone stands up at you get a lovely shadow cast right the screen. NICCCE.:rolleyes: That said the sweets are nicer.
    Still Id go with the eye. more comfort.
    Oh go see the The Inside Man. It doesn't matter where you see it but it is worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

LucyBliss wrote:

I was at the Omni a few weeks ago and it was still in the middle of renovations. Have they made screen 6 & 7 into one big screen or was that just a rumour? And is there some sort of games room or something there now? I thought I saw a sign on the wall near screen 5 but I was in a hurry so didn't investigate further. It's no harm for them to do up the Omniplex either. Its decor was beginning to look a bit dated.

when did you work in the omni... i worked there for years.... years ago
    removing people from screens was the highlight of my day:D and i wasnt the only one...

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I worked in the Omni from Sept 1996 - May 1999. Ended up as supervisor, used to fill in for managment some of the time. It wasn't always easy being the 'the buck stops here' person, especially when people would come up to you with complaints like "I only got seats in the front row when I came to buy tickets ten minutes before this showing of Titanic started. I'm outraged and demand you comp me even though I was told umpteen times where my seats would be. There shouldn't be a front row either!" It was very hard to bite my tongue and not tell this type of person what to do with themselves. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

HavoK wrote:
    I never found the actual physical condition of the omni in town all that bad, its just such a knacker hole, go to see anything thats rated under 18's at the weekend and all you get is knacks fcuking about the place and being retarded without any fear of retribution from staff.

That's another nice thing about oranmore, we don't actually have knackers.. just wannabe shams, who'd shít themselves if you even looked at them funny. Nice and peaceful, the cinema is usually empty to boot (no other noisy people crunching and farting loudly)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

yv you sure have got it right. I like my films to be in focus and the sound also to be correct.The eye is the only place to go. I gave up on the omniplex years ago.
    Unfortunately we are 2 years away from the cinema in Salthill opening as the basement where it will be is just a shell and will remain so untill the legal battle is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm presuming that the Omniplex makes popcorn the same way the Eye does. If thats the case, the saltiness might be down to someone putting in wwaayy too much salt (which would seem a tad bit obvious, I suppose.. kinda like pointing out its wet when it rains..) ..which I have done before by accident. It's amazingly easy to do

clumbabies. tbfh.

SyxPak wrote:
    clumbabies. tbfh.

That sounds soo nasty ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kaylaneh

i'd say the omni once it finished..its a bit of a building site at the moment but the new seats are really comfy! the eye just isnt the same!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

kaylaneh wrote:
    i'd say the omni once it finished..its a bit of a building site at the moment but the new seats are really comfy! the eye just isnt the same!
    The new seats are class! Screw the eye, although the eyse looks cool. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I must take a gander into this new Omniplex. Although I doubt it'll beat the eye....love that cinema so much.

Oranmore is great for being beside my house but the EYE is just so classy...plus the eye nearly always has better choice of movies for me personally! Omniplex quite often gets films after the EYE does...

Advertisement