Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switched hosts, what to do with domain?

Options
  • 31-03-2006 4:04pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I recently set up a website for an organisation (Site redesign from an old one) I just put it up on thier existing webhost. Few days ago the hosting agreement expired and the site couldnt be reached, and the hosts wanted $150 for renewal.

Instead of renewing the contract, I decided to get cheaper hosting from an irish company.

Anyway, the site is all set up on the new hosts server, and can be reached through a direct link but not through the .com address

The domain (a .com) was bought with the old hosting company, and it has one year left till expiry. It has a registrar lock on it.

How would one go about

a) redirecting the existing domain to point to the new servers (Keeping in mind I cant just set up a redirect page)

or

b) Transferring the domain (which still has one year to run) onto the new hosters.

Chaing the nameservers dosent seem to have any effect (And i left it 2 or 3 days before posting this)

If you need more details ask, thanks in advance fo any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

b - always option b

Get in touch with your host and they will tell you exactly what you need to do

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

Changing the nameservers can take up to 72 hours to propagate. You should wait.

The domains DNS servers are set to the new server right? Is the account set up correctly on the new server?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Ph3n0m wrote:
    b - always option b

Get in touch with your host and they will tell you exactly what you need to do

Okay thanks, They FAQ says that the (new) hosters will do everything, as long as the domain is unlocked.

Doing a whois on the domain says that it has a REGISTRAR-LOCK and with a bit of googling gives up this:

REGISTRAR-LOCK: The sponsoring registrar sets this status. The domain can not be modified or deleted. The registrar must remove REGISTRAR-LOCK status to modify the domain. The domain can be renewed. The domain will be included in the zone.

So I presume I email the other crowd asking them to unlock it and then 'll transfer the domain across?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

While you could transfer the domain to the new host, you could simply get the nameservers updated by the current registrar

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

blacknight wrote:
    While you could transfer the domain to the new host, you could simply get the nameservers updated by the current registrar

I could do that yes (I can manually change the nameservers on the old registrars site, I *presume* that you change it to your new hosts nameservers e.g. ns1.blah.com etc and that the new host look up stuff on their site for yourdomain.com thats situated on their server....if thats wrong tell me!) but I'd prefer to have the host and the registrar together for easier billing and whatnot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Advertisement