Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Weekends Prem Fixtures

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Arsenal is gona be a tough game, both teams are in fantastic form, but the game against Juve last week physically will be nothing compared to this week. It is going to be an incredible battle and there is no doubt that Arsenal will be tired after it.

Also, Arsenal against United, United tend to win. Infact recently Arsenal have stopped this by playing 4-5-1 to counter United. If they go back to 4-4-2 against United, I think we will beat them simply because the Arsenal full backs are always exposed against United(cept Cole but he is injured). If they go to a 4-5-1, I don't know what will happen tbh. I expect them to stick with 4-4-2, and try and play football, in which case, It'll be interesting.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Lemlin wrote:
    Just watching Match of the Day. Henry is unreal. The way he just stopped his run, stood back, waited for the flick back from Adeyabor and then finished for the goal was superb.

He and Adeyabor look like they could be a very potent attacking force.
    I look forward to seeing it on Football First! I went to the private members bar for a beer at half time and came out 2/3 mins late... while walking back out the stewardess goes to me "hurry up or you'll miss another one!"

"Bollix" I instantly thought :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

:rolleyes:

We know you were at the game. Get over it.

Mmmm, that was a bit good alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I'm a Liverpool fan and even I'd prefer Utd to win the title than Chelsea, but hang on a minute... the only victory of note since Utd's last loss (4-3 to Blackburn) has been winning at the Reebok. All of the others have been scrappy wins or wins against wretched teams. Hardly "unstoppable".

• Advertisement

Which wins were scrappy wins?

p.s.
    Liverpools winning run this year that everybody went on about, and everybody thought they had become the 2nd best team in the country was:

West Ham
    Villa
    Portsmouth
    City
    Sunderland
    Wigan
    Boro
    Newcastle
    Everton
    West Brom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭SteM

jank wrote:
    He is a United fan ;)

So am I, but I'm refusing to get carried away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Sat, 4th H Fulham (PREM.)
    4 - 2 | W Match report
    Sat, 11th A Portsmouth (PREM.)
    1 - 3 | W Match report

Mon, 6th A Wigan (PREM.)
    1 - 2 | W Match report
    Sun, 12th H Newcastle (PREM.)
    2 - 0 | W Match report
    Sat, 18th A West Brom (PREM.)
    1 - 2 | W Match report
    Sun, 26th H Birmingham (PREM.)
    3 - 0 | W Match report
    Wed, 29th H West Ham (PREM.)
    1 - 0 | W Match report

Sat, 1st A Bolton (PREM.)
    1 - 2 | W Match report

many of the same teams

indeed, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I was wondering when this thread would degrade into a Utd v Liverpool thread! Most united fans will have been on here complaining about the team. The team hasnt changed so just because we have put average teams to the sword doesnt mean that suddenly we are a match for Chelsea.

However the fact is that the gap has been closed. I dont believe it is significant enough to be getting excited about winning the league. Next weekend will decide whether its a close run thing or stroll in the park. If United can beat Arsenal they should be capable of winning their remaining fixtures which will keep the pressure on, if only from a distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

PHB wrote:
    indeed, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy.
    Please, point it out. I thought at the time that people were getting carried away with Liverpool's run and I feel the same about Utd now.

It's also not so long ago that Utd were being humbled in the CL with largely the same team (I don't think Vidic nor Evra add much to the mix).

Swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Man City 0 - 1 Middlesboro' Lee Cattermole 43 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I put a few quid on Utd to win the premiership just before the Chesea game ended, got them at 16/1, they are 11/2 now. I am not all that confident but at least I got nice odds!!

Lay it off on betfair or batdaq ;)

I look forward to seeing it on Football First! I went to the private members bar for a beer at half time and came out 2/3 mins late... while walking back out the stewardess goes to me "hurry up or you'll miss another one!"

Unlucky :rolleyes:
    I was in the North bank and I can say Van Persie's goal was one of the best
    I've seen at Highbury over the years.
    Not only did he have to stop it going out, but he had to keep it away from the goalkeeper and then try to get an angle to shot and score.
    Class.
    It was funny before he came on when he was warming up, the North Bank and East stand were singing Robin Van Persie's name and he was nodding his head to the chant. :)

One of the most one sided games I've seen this year.
    Villa weren't at the races, feel sorry for O'Leary if (when) he gets the boot.
    Must have been his worst nightmare playing Arsenal when they have just stuffed Juve, OUCH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

No birthday goal for Teddy. West Ham 0-0 Charlton. FT

Teddy was so unlucky not to score a birthday goal late on. Great save from Mhyre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Liverpool had a facile victory over the weekend. They played 4-4-2 with Cisse out wide right. This position does not suit him. Alonso played well, the back line was strong and Liverpool dominate. Fowlers goal though was off-side, so lucky that the linesman was not up to scratch. Cisse's goal came about from a route-one pass by Alonso and Cisse's angled run which was too fast for the West Brom defence.

A lot of talk about Chelsea slipping up. In a way, they were unlucky as they dominated their game as much as Liverpool did and as much as Man Utd did (who won 1-2). And that is the nature of football. The same level of domination does not produce the same scoreline or result in the same number of points.

I still think it will finish:
    1 Chelsea, 2 Man Utd, 3 Liverpool, 4 Arsenal

with West Brom, Birnmingham and Sunderland relegated

Its good at least to see Man Utd giving Chelsea some sort of jitters, but its still a 7 point gap with only 6 games left, one of those being a head to head. If Chelsea get their scoring boots back on, they could easily win the next 3 games. Liverpool are only 5 pts behind Man U, although with a game less, but then they dont have to play Chelsea or Arsenal.

Man Utd have to keep winning, which is not easy. They have won 8 in a row recently, but it would be a big feat to win the remaining 6 matches, and even then that may not be enough.

Mathematically, Liverpool can still win the title race but I'm not holding my breath.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I think, as has been said last year, it's great that next year we should have a decent 4 horse race. Chelsea will inevitably strengthen their squad but they won't be siging optimus prime in goal and I'm sure the other three won't cheap out in the market either. This season may be all but over, but the appetite is whetted for next year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Team news for tonights game :

Blackburn
    B Friedel, L Neill, Z Khizanishvili, R Nelsen, M Gray, D Bentley, R Savage, S Reid, M Pedersen, C Bellamy, P Dickov
    Subs: S Kuqi, P Enckelman, A Mokoena, K Tugay, F Sinama Pongolle

Wigan
    J Filan, P Chimbonda, P Scharner, A De Zeeuw, L Baines, G Teale, J Bullard, G Kavanagh, L McCulloch, J Roberts, A Johansson
    Subs: M Jackson, M Pollitt, D Connolly, R Ziegler, D Thompson

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Jason Roberts has just made it 1-0 to wigan. Lovely finish too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Wigan were robbed. Perfect Goal disallowed and Blackburn's goal was a clear foul on the keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

fade2black wrote:
    I think, as has been said last year, it's great that next year we should have a decent 4 horse race. Chelsea will inevitably strengthen their squad but they won't be siging optimus prime in goal and I'm sure the other three won't cheap out in the market either. This season may be all but over, but the appetite is whetted for next year...

Price doesnt matter to chelsea though. It does to all other clubs. ALl teams will have targets, but finacially it might not be possible for liverpool, united or arsenal to afford them. Where as whoever chelsea want, they can pretty much get.

THe one bad thing about the title chase being this close, and possible getting closer is that it gurantees chelsea will go out and break the bank for a quality striker in the summer. WOuldnt be at all suprised if they actually did sign Schvenchenko(sp).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bad luck for Wigan, the results are all panning out quite nicely for Arsenal though. Looks like they won't HAVE to win the CL to be in it next season. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Playboy wrote:
    Wigan were robbed. Perfect Goal disallowed and Blackburn's goal was a clear foul on the keeper.

Dowd was a disgrace. Plenty of decisions were wrong. Blackburn were lucky though and hopefully they can beat Portsmouth in a tough away game this weekend. To get a point was lucky last night but at least we've closed the gap on Spurs to 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Lemlin wrote:
    Dowd was a disgrace.

i agree and so does p jewell,looks like he`s in hot water with the FA over his comments about mr dowd

hes definetly in trouble with the FA for his comments. Dowd shoudn't be allowed ref in premiership for awhile. He made some shocking decisions last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Birmingham beating Bolton 1-0 at half time thanks to Jiri Jarosik's goal. G'wan you big legends.

If it finishes like that it'll be 3 defeats on the bounce for Bolton I think, and the end of their CL ambitions.

What did Paul Jewell say? I didn't watch the post-match comments. He was justified in whatever he said though, Filan was bulldozed over by Lucas Neill, it was shocking. Although I didn't see the Bellamy disallowed goal.

"He (Dowd) genuinely gets things wrong. He doesn't do it on purpose, he is just not very good. He is just incompetent."

Jewell said of the equaliser: "Their goal at the end is not a foul, it's GBH.

"One Premier League manager told me Dowd is the worst referee we have got in this league - and he isn't wrong."
    There ya go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Finished 1-0 to Brum, Excellent. Piss off out of the race for 4th place Bolton and never, ever, come back.

Thanks PePe! Yeah, probably will land him in hot water!
    "Their goal at the end is not a foul, it's GBH."
    GBH??

Gross bodily harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Not greavous(sp) bodily harm?

Bolton on a bad run, we have them up next on sunday.

Thanks for clearing that up guys.
    To be fair to Neill, there's no way he could've stopped with the momentum he had, there was nothing malicious or intentional whatsoever, but it was still a clear foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

gbh = grevious bodily harm, as opposed to abh, which is actual bodily harm.

never understood the difference to me.

anyway, just saw the bolton result which quite shocked me. 7 points behind 4th spot now with only the 1 game in hand. arsenal 2 points behind 4th with 1 game in hand. blackburn 2 points behind, same games played.

its really turned into an exciting race. im not sure that bolton have shot their bolt, but id rather have then 7 points behind with an extra game, than 4 points behind. on paper, arsenal have the easier run in, but weve seen sunderland gain a point, birmingham pulling points back against chelsea and now bolton, what i would say are 2 of the toughest defences in the premier league.
    west brom really put the wind up spurs last week, and they are playing great football. no easy games left, although, i wouldnt lay my mortgage on arsenal not winning.
    martin jol could be right, it could all come down to the match at highbury.
    but right, now, for me, every match is a cup final. although, i wasnt surprised to see spurs lose at newcastle. just a shame they couldnt have had their inconsistant team out that day, and we forgot to get on the bus :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

although, looking at the fixtures, i think if liverpool and chelsea both beat bolton, then they are out of a european spot.
    i also think if spurs can win 4 of their last 6 games, and one of those wins is against arsenal, then we will retain 4th spot.

Advertisement