Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bounced cheque

Options
  • 31-03-2006 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Someone gave me a cheque for EUR 75, I tried to lodge it at the counter in my branch but they said "insufficient funds" and gave the cheque back without doing anything to it.

If someone doesn't have EUR 75 (or an overdraft to cover it) today, then I think they never will, so can I at least return it to his bank and get the EUR 0.15 stamp duty for the piece of paper? It would be better then nothing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

vector wrote:
    Someone gave me a cheque for EUR 75, I tried to lodge it at the counter in my branch but they said "insufficient funds" and gave the cheque back without doing anything to it.

If someone doesn't have EUR 75 (or an overdraft to cover it) today, then I think they never will, so can I at least return it to his bank and get the EUR 0.15 stamp duty for the piece of paper? It would be better then nothing.

they wouldnot give you stamp duty back. Do you not know the person tht gave it to you.And also just try next week and see if he has someone in the bank.It doesnot cost you money to try and lodge the cheque or does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

vector wrote:

What I'd do is wait it might be a genuine mistake, wait a couple of days and lodge it again. If its the same bank as yours try ringing the bank and find out if its a dead account or an account that has sums going in and out often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If it's a business transaction it's fraud. Call them, ask if you can present the chq again. Otherwise sue!

vector wrote:

if you sold something to a stranger and took a cheque for it then its your own fault but i dont know the story behind this so cannot comment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

aparently if I keep trying to relodge the cheque to my account my bank can charge me 3.80 or similar, so I'll instead keep trying to "cash" the cheque by going to the counter of writers actual branch

(the cheque is from a limited company that now according to the grapevine isin't doing too well)

• Advertisement

vector wrote:
    aparently if I keep trying to relodge the cheque to my account my bank can charge me 3.80 or similar, so I'll instead keep trying to "cash" the cheque by going to the counter of writers actual branch

(the cheque is from a limited company that now according to the grapevine isin't doing too well)

If its from a privat company then just keep trying as its only a small amount they should ahve money on mon or tue as when most people would lodge money.but keep trying and donot give up as its still money:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

vector wrote:

If you lodge the cheque to your account and it bounces then your bank will charge you an unpaids inwards fee - approx €3.81 - €4.00.

If you go to the branch of the bank it is drawn on and ask to cash it, they can only say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

btw - they should not have said 'insufficient funds' to you.

As payee you are not entitled to any information about the drawer's account.

What they should have said was

'We are not in a position to cash / lodge this cheque for you so you will have to refer back to the drawer'

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

btw - they should not have said 'insufficient funds' to you.

As payee you are not entitled to any information about the drawer's account.

In fairness, they may have said "it might be due to insufficient funds" or something similar..

vector wrote:

why not just ring the company and tell them your cheque is not clearing.thats the simple solution they might send out cash or tell you when it will clear,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

If the cheque is stamped as "refer to drawer" then it's insufficient funds - it's not a straight up way of saying it but that's basically the reason.

If you keep trying to lodge the cheque you'll find that each declined attempt will probably cost the person who wrote you the cheque quite a bit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I cashed the cheque this morning in the writers branch. Luckily he hadn't crossed it account payeee only, because then aparantly I wouldn't have been able to cash it, I'd have to lodge it which would have cost me a fee every time it bounced, also luckilty they kept handing the cheque back to me without putitng a rubber stamp over it so I could keep retrying.

vector wrote:
    I cashed the cheque this morning in the writers branch. Luckily he hadn't crossed it account payeee only, because then aparantly I wouldn't have been able to cash it, I'd have to lodge it which would have cost me a fee every time it bounced, also luckilty they kept handing the cheque back to me without putitng a rubber stamp over it so I could keep retrying.

Thats good news that you got your money.:D

Advertisement