Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get rid of my ripwave.

• 31-03-2006 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I had Ripwave for six months and just replaced it with Eircom BB two days ago. Its brilliant, I don't know how I ever kept Ripwave for so long.

I cancelled my Ripwave subscription in Feburary and they said a courier would collect it. I phoned three times and told them to take it away but nothings been arranged. It would probably cost more to pay the courier than the Ripwave box is worth.

I haven't been charged for March so I will probably get ripwave free until they cop on in their offices. I was going to lend it to my housemate and let him use it but I'm expecting to see my account charged any time I check my bank account online. I've a strong feeling that they're so incompetant I may get free Ripwave for life.

Should I keep telling IBB to collect it or keep quiet and let them contact me. I'm not dishonest but would feel justified in doing so as I spent well over €150 on a rubbish product.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

If they cant collect it after 3 attempts, they say that to IBB and I guess IBB, knowing the way they are will start charging you again.
    I had the same gripe with them, so I got the phone number of the collection crowd and told them that I would leave the box out in the porch to be collected.
    Fine, the lady said.
    So that box sat in my porch for 3 weeks untill it was collected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thanks but they haven't even attempted to collect it. When I phoned on the three ocasions, they said a courier would phone my mobile and we'd arrange to meet up. I'm still waiting for that phonecall.

In my area, the ripwave wouldn't last long on my doorstep. On my early morning jogs I often see kids robbing milk and papers left outside the local Statoil. Thats a different matter though.

I'll give IBB another ring on Monday morning. I just want rid of it at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Where are IBB's offices?, find out and go down there so you can lob the modem through an open window shouting "Take your modem back you bastards!"..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

micmclo wrote:
    I had Ripwave for six months and just replaced it with Eircom BB two days ago. Its brilliant, I don't know how I ever kept Ripwave for so long.

I cancelled my Ripwave subscription in Feburary and they said a courier would collect it. I phoned three times and told them to take it away but nothings been arranged. It would probably cost more to pay the courier than the Ripwave box is worth.

I haven't been charged for March so I will probably get ripwave free until they cop on in their offices. I was going to lend it to my housemate and let him use it but I'm expecting to see my account charged any time I check my bank account online. I've a strong feeling that they're so incompetant I may get free Ripwave for life.

Should I keep telling IBB to collect it or keep quiet and let them contact me. I'm not dishonest but would feel justified in doing so as I spent well over €150 on a rubbish product.

TO make sure its gone I would get an exorcism performed. After the demonic spirit has been cast out I would ensure that the modem is hung drawn & quartered and then buried in the four quarters of Ireland at the midnight witching hour. A litre of holy water might be a good idea as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

micmclo wrote:

just put it in the attic as testiment to the worst internet service the world has ever seen, a sort of reminder of how internet hell can happen

and if you ever get charged to APE **** like you never have before, believe me they deserve it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I find breaking into tears while talking to them on the phone works wll. Nothing so unsettleing as a grown man crying to another grown man over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I cancelled with them in september of last year. I was also told a courier would ring to collect the modem. I cancelled my direct debit a month later when I found they were still charging my subscription. They still send me those email invoice things. When I got the latest one last friday I fired off a black email to the customer support with "STOP SENDING ME INVOICES!!!" as the heading. I didn't expect any kind of reply from this shower of cowboys. It just made me smile.
    But, low and behold, there was a reply from someone taking things very seriously! We are so sorry, what's the problem, how can we help? Very odd from this crowd. I said in no uncertain terms that I want to be rid of you. Give me an address and I'll send the sha**ing modem myself. They said to send by registered post and they'll refund the money to me, and thanks for my patience and understanding, etc. Now, I'll take that with a grain of salt, but at least I'm rid of them. I just don't want to give them my address in case they suddenly decide they want to charge me for service since september since I cancelled my direct debit when they had no record of me cancelling their service. It's their fault but why didn't I try ringing, etc etc. I mean, we all know why I didn't bother trying to ring. To much time and money wasted on them already fcs.
    But I'm not gonna take the chance with this crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

micmclo wrote:
    I'm expecting to see my account charged any time I check my bank account online.
    This is the mistake most people make. After cancelling a DD with a company, you should write to your bank informing them that you've cancelled it and tell them not to accept any more DDs from that company. If you don't cancel it with the bank, then the company can start the DDs again themselves, unless they forwarded the cancellation notice to the bank. Given IBB's BT style ineptitude, I'd doubt this has happened. Actually, I know for a fact that it doesn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Laguna wrote:
    Where are IBB's offices?, find out and go down there so you can lob the modem through an open window shouting "Take your modem back you bastards!"..

Irish Broadband
    Burton Court
    Burton Hall Road
    Sandyford Industrial Estate
    Dublin 18

Cry Havock, and let slip the dogs of war

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Got a letter out of the blue from IBB today.

I can post it the modem to them and be reimbursed the postage charges or call some guy in Finance and arrange to meet the courier.

If I don't cooperate I will be charged €175 for the modem.
    I'm more than happy to give back the modem but I never thought it would cost €175 to buy one.

Problem finally solved. Seems strange though that I cancelled 3 months ago today and IBB are only getting around to collecting it back. Not very efficent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

micmclo wrote:
    Got a letter out of the blue from IBB today.

I can post it the modem to them and be reimbursed the postage charges or call some guy in Finance and arrange to meet the courier.

If I don't cooperate I will be charged €175 for the modem.
    I'm more than happy to give back the modem but I never thought it would cost €175 to buy one.

Problem finally solved. Seems strange though that I cancelled 3 months ago today and IBB are only getting around to collecting it back. Not very efficent

demand they send you a prepaid envelope. also ask the customer service guy if he is wearing a cowboy hat. do not move on until he answers the question

Advertisement