Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small scratches - any ideas?

Options
  • 31-03-2006 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

I have a number of small scratches on my door - the white undercoat is showing. The car is a dark metalic blue so these marks stand out like a sore thumb.
    Anyone know of ways of fixing (or camouflaging) without making a dogs' arse of it? It doesn't justify a full respray or anything. I remember seeing colour coded car polishes advertised a few years ago...

I have to bring in the car for a parking dent inflicted by very low wall/cack-handed reversing soon so it might be an opportune time...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

pburns wrote:
    I have a number of small scratches on my door - the white undercoat is showing. The car is a dark metalic blue so these marks stand out like a sore thumb.
    Anyone know of ways of fixing (or camouflaging) without making a dogs' arse of it? It doesn't justify a full respray or anything. I remember seeing colour coded car polishes advertised a few years ago...

I have to bring in the car for a parking dent inflicted by very low wall/cack-handed reversing soon so it might be an opportune time...

t cutting would probably work but really depends on how severe the scratches are. if you taking the car in anyway get them to do the scratches as well, might cost that little bit extra but worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

if the primer is showing t-cut will make things worse.
    If you use a small, high quality, brush and touch it up with touchup paint, and then polish it after a few days, you will not see the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Get some paint the same colour as your car and touch up the scratch, give it a few coats to build up the thickness of the paint. Leave it to dry and build it up with some more paint so you have enough to sand down the height of paint and make it flush with the old paint. You'll need to use 1500 grit wet and dry sandpaper to do this as its very fine and won't damage the existing paint. When you have this ready polish it up using G3 grade compound or similar preferably using a polishing machine. Polish it using turtle wax or similar. Don't be disappointed if you don't get a good result first time out it may take a few go's but you'll get the hang of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Please don't use wet n dry sand paper on your car unless you really know what your doing. there are lots of proprietry touch up sticks and kits in halford, one of them has to work.

Those touch up sticks don't really work and to be fair 1500 wet and dry sandpaper won't do any major damage that can't be polished up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    However I'll think I'll either (a.) leave it alone or (b.) let an expert do a touch-up while I'm having the minor panel damage repaired. At least now I'll sound like i know what i'm talking about.

I don't have the patience or constitution for all that sandpaper/touch-up malarky!

You can pay me via Paypal.:D :D

Advertisement