Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bin Dilemna

• 31-03-2006 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Ive just bought a house and Ive a couple of questions regarding the city council coloured bins.

Believe it or not, theres 9 bins outside and around the house. AND.. they all seem to be mine now lol

The neighbours all have their own and are sure that these are ALL mine.

Most of them are full so Im presuming the previous occupiers (short term tenants) ordered new bins, a few times. Im not sure.

Anyway.. Having only just got the keys, Ive no intention of paying for tags to empty all the bins over the next few months!

Whats the chances that the city council will take them all away and leave me 3 clean ones when I pay my annual fee? Are they that helpful or logical?

I can see a request for me to pay the annual fee and a heap of money to empty all the bins leading to me getting upset :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

I would just ring the Council & explain the situation to them, surely you won't have to pay for somebody else's mess! You could get proof that you've only just moved in!

If they're that serious about recycling then they should take this mess away for you F.O.C.

After that, they'll be getting the €120 annual fee outta ya plus the required amout per bin lift like the rest of us but don't foget to claim what ya can of it back on your tax allowances;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭meldrew

Just make sure when you ring the council that you have the name of the person you're dealing with , that way when they start giving you the runaround you have something to fall back on , they are terrible to deal with down there pushing people from one department to another with nobody prepared to accept responsibility for anything .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Im in a similar situation myself !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Looks like the council aren't as accomodating as we all hoped! Rang them yest, was told first it wasn't possible that there were that many bins there (last time I checked I didn't suffer from double or treble vision so I know there are!).

Anyway when I finally got through to them that there were that many, I was told that we would have to pay to empty them all. As if this wasn't bad enough this was dependant on the bins having 2005/6 stickers and not being "contaminated" (ie not having paper in brown bin, or food waste in green bin).
    So when I checked only 3 bins have last years stickers and all seem to be "contaminated". When I went back to the council with this info the lady informed me that I would have to somehow empty these myself and bring them to landfill!! Now , I dont know about anyone else but I certainly have no intention of sticking my hands into 4 month old rubbish covered with flies and emptying it into bags.

So then I was going to go down the "Its your property , I have no contract with you as I have never paid any fees to you or made any arrangements with you, so please remove it from my property". At this stage she informed me that the bins were the property of the house (which I am still not sure is the case), so the last I've heard was where I questioned that if they are the property of the house (and therefore mine) then surely I'm entitled to destroy the bins themselves along with the rubbish in them! I'm sure that wont go down to well but waiting for a response back.

God they're such unreasonable people.
    As a slight aside, is there anyone else that provide a rubbish collection in Waterford City? and if so what costs would be involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Time to privatise the bins. That would not happen with a private operator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I'm not sure about Waterford City but we get our bin collected by Rainbow Refuse.

When you were buying the house surely it was the responsiblity of the previous owners to dispose of this waste. Just an Idea

And here's another idea why don't you some dark night take said rubish bins and place them outside the offices of the housing authority. Now a little recon will be required to see if there's cctv outside the building, just an idea like and if the arrive back to your house all you have to do is point at your bins and tell them they can't be yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

trishw78 wrote:
    I'm not sure about Waterford City but we get our bin collected by Rainbow Refuse.

When you were buying the house surely it was the responsiblity of the previous owners to dispose of this waste. Just an Idea

And here's another idea why don't you some dark night take said rubish bins and place them outside the offices of the housing authority. Now a little recon will be required to see if there's cctv outside the building, just an idea like and if the arrive back to your house all you have to do is point at your bins and tell them they can't be yours

Do rainbow refuse charge a lot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭meldrew

I dont think they're allowed into the city to collect bins because the corpo are going to fight tooth and nail for any revenue they can get and they dont want competition , the best thing to do is get rid of the extra bins and say nothing to the corpo , once you're putting a tag on your bins they could'nt care less , as you saw its unbelievable trying to deal with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Free market economy folks. The city can't stop a private operator from collecting bins if they want. If they are cheaper the city will simply stop collecting and the private operator will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Oulwan

:mad: Why must they be so inflexible? How hard could it be to send a truck out, pick up the bins, and Bob's your mother's brother. Goodwill all round.
    Did you ask them why? You know....as soon as they say it can't be done....interject with why? Why can't it? Give me a good reason why it just can't be done........don't let them continue until they have answered satisfactorily....keep saying you don't understand.....why?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

ah WHY? the question of the 3 year old WHY? No but seriously why? as for your about rainbow refuse. I don't know how much it is I don't pay the bill I do know that they come every two weeks and anything that we recycle ie paper glass aluminium goes to collection centre

Advertisement